PDA

View Full Version : SS vs ALUM Prop

fender22
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Bought a new SS prop for my 135 merc today. The old ally prop was missing chunks, been panel beaten several times and generally horrible. I'm very happy with the performance of the boat though and it's the only prop I've had on it so I don't know any better.

I wanted a new prop, even though my mechanic said it wouldn't really make a lot of difference and was a bit wary of SS, thinking I'd be safer hitting something with an Ally prop (as I do!). Anyway, I read that all props have a rubber bush which will strip if any thing is hit.

Spoke to my mechanic again today and he reckons as far as hitting things you are better off with Aluminum. His words were I'd rather be replacing a prop than a gear box! Whats the general concensus here? I was surprised he didn't see a need for a new prop based on the condition of the old one?... the one I have is really bad! Theres a bit (about a cm) knocked off the end of one blade, dings and nicks in the others, bent in places. I would think the prop would run unbalanced at best in that condition. I know in the past I have filed even smalls nicks out off props and made a noticeable difference in performance.

FrankFWM
07-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi,

I have come up with the same feedback and decided to stick with aluminium in the past for the same reason....

Blackened
08-02-2008, 06:10 AM
G'day

Is you're running in areas where there's a high chance of the prop striking the bottom/objects then stay with aluminium.

It's durable, but soft enough that should it strike anything, gearbox damage will be minimal, if at all.

If doing a lot of race/blue water work then stainless would the be the go. Offers less distortion under high horsepower and is much stronger.

When you choose which way to go make sure the diameter and pitch are te optimum setup for your rig. What is your WOT now and with what cruising speed?

Dave

ozscott
09-02-2008, 04:28 PM
doesnt the rubber shear hub shear before the box gets damaged....I love my SS...used to use alloy but it constantly got small nicks and wear...SS doesnt and does not flex.

Cheers