PDA

View Full Version : Colmslie Ramp

kingtin
07-02-2008, 06:29 PM
There was a thread a while back mentioning that the Colmslie ramp drops off short and large drive on trailers can drop off the end at low. Can anyone confirm this as I have been down there a few times and talked to guys launching and trailering and nobody seems aware of it? Cheers

kev

webby
07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
They extended the ramp sometime back, but it still drops off into the abyss of the river on very low tides.

Far side
08-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Yes it does The boys at stones corner marine put a yellow paint mark on the walkway beside the ramp I think it is still there that is the limit to the drawbar

Sandman
08-02-2008, 11:02 AM
There is an orange mark on the pontoon railing , fading fast its an indicator that it drops off, seen quiet a few people drop the trailer over while putting the boat on. Must be sharp as even when the boats off its hard getting the dam thing off!!!

ellicat
08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
If you get the ramp lane closest to the pontoon you'll be right. I f you get the other one you need to be careful. Take it slow and remove valuables from your pants pockets;)

charleville
08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
There was a thread a while back mentioning that the Colmslie ramp drops off short and large drive on trailers can drop off the end at low. Can anyone confirm this as I have been down there a few times and talked to guys launching and trailering and nobody seems aware of it?

This may be the thread that you are referring to, Kev ...
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66456&highlight=colmsie

I think that the Ausfish platform was upgraded after this and the pix have gone but it was some pix of a Quarantine boat - a Noble Super Vee, I think it was, that they dropped the trailer axle off the back of the ramp.

Anyway, I don't have the original hi res pix but this one tells the story well enough, I think...

http://img.skitch.com/20080208-bid931hd8rg85by5i6kmfgu5n3.jpg

Juzo
08-02-2008, 02:27 PM
yeah I've put the trailer off the drop once or twice when it's low. No big deal as I only have a small boat (15ft), but could be problematic if you have a big rig.
Had it on the back of my mates defender so wasn't a problem pulling it out
Juzo

seatime
08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Funny, I've seen that Quarantine boat in some grief at the Manly Sth ramp too. Same day I came across them further south where they were on the wrong side of a channel chewing up mud & sand. Haven't seen them around the bay for a while now. If you see them out there, do not follow their lead!

charleville
08-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Funny, I've seen that Quarantine boat in some grief at the Manly Sth ramp too. Same day I came across them further south where they were on the wrong side of a channel chewing up mud & sand. Haven't seen them around the bay for a while now. If you see them out there, do not follow their lead!

Are you suggesting that they should be quarantined? ;D ;D ;D

Interesting though that I don't see rego numbers on the boat. They must have exemption from paying their share of boating costs.

seatime
08-02-2008, 07:59 PM

Interesting though that I don't see rego numbers on the boat. They must have exemption from paying their share of boating costs.

"commonwealth ship", they're exempt from nearly everything the rest of us plebs have to abide by ;)

PinHead
09-02-2008, 06:25 AM

why bother Bruce..only paying our taxes from one section of govt to another..that could take 3 public servants minimum to process all that...it is the same with Govt cars..why do they bother.

kingtin
09-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the responses. What with the weather and other stuff............apparently, size of rig and state of the tide now comes into it if you want to launch there. I normally try to launch at low and fish the full run in, so that's another ramp out of the equation.

kev