PDA

View Full Version : my boat is making weird sounds

Nico.d.R
07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I baught my boat (new) in october and it makes a wierd click sound when i give it to much throttle , im pretty sure its the transom flexing , i spoke to the dealer today and he said the warranty should cover it . Just wondering how bad this is and should i make the builder put an extra brace from the transom to the seat (which i need for my back deck ;D ) .

ps . should i hit them up for a boat off theirs to use while they fix it , i dont see why i should miss out on time on the water while i wait .

Spaniard_King
07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Nico, cant see you gettin a boat to use while they fix it...LOL

Re repairs on ya transom... keep this in mind.. every time you weld alluminium it will get softer.. due to what is called the heat affected range. so welding will not "fix" the problem alone... if it has cracked it should be reinforced somewhat.

Also ask the repairer what the warranty is on the repair :0

Horse
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I hasd a Quinny tinny for over 10 years that clicked or cluncked whenever you first got up it. No sign of cracking when I sold it

Nico.d.R
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
its not leaking its just a bad sounding noise , and im worried it will cause a leak . the welding i want done is a brace from the seat to transom to make it stronger and it will also support the back deck when i build it , so it wont be double welding any thing so it should be good .

Nico.d.R
07-02-2008, 11:03 PM
here is a pic of what i want them to do

Stuart
08-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Nicod.r

You won’t be achieving much at all by placing a brace in that position. The seat on that boat wouldn’t be anymore than 2mm thick at best. You need to transfer that load or movement to the keel like it’s already is but add some more stiffeners a bit more forward. By bracing it to the seat will only crack the seat or bend it in when the engine is opened up.

Stu

Chimo
08-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Nico

There is no point doing what you suggest. Its braced as it needs to be and if you are using it within its designed capabilities there should not be any need for concern.

What size motor have you got on it anyway?
What motor is it plated for?

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
08-02-2008, 09:20 AM
also look for more obvious things, not just the worst possible!! it could just be a the backing moving, or Motor bolts not tight, or slighty askew, before major surgery is done, look for all the possible causes, try getting in the boat on the trailer, and have someone stand/push and lift on the cav plate and see if you can induce the noise, then maybe see where it is coming from!

Jackinthebox
08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Ditto what Stuie said Nico. The seat's not gonna help much & it'll prob get damaged during the welding process. Good luck getting them to do some free welding for you mate, don't like your chances!!

My last boat used to do that too. Just think how much force your outboard puts on the tranny - there's gonna be some sort of flex somewhere, especially on little tinnies.

Cheers,
Mick.

baitwaster
08-02-2008, 12:31 PM
yours is a brooker isn't it nico? - mine makes exactly the same noise and it concerns me too.

Mine already has ally welded in there for the casting decks, makes no difference.

I'll send you a PM. - ring me when you get a chance.

Nico.d.R
09-02-2008, 01:58 AM
the dealer is going to have a look at it next week and see if there is anything wrong and if there is the builder will fix it . The brace is more for my back deck , would i be better of useing 50mm ally angle and rivets to hold the deck brace(instead of welding)? its a 4m mako (stesll) . one possibility is , there is 3 or 4 bits of 25mm x 75mm that sit against each other and there is only 5cm welds spaced out along the joins , maybe it needs more welds there to stop the movement . it is plated for 30hp or 75kg and there is a 25hp johno on it .

thanks for all the replies ,
nico

Jackinthebox
09-02-2008, 07:28 AM
If its for a rear casting deck, welding is prob the go mate. You might get some vibration from rivets in that area.

See what the dealer says. Take him for a run in it & show him the noise.

Cheers,
Mick

Nico.d.R
09-02-2008, 12:14 PM
sounds like a good idea mick , should find out next week what the go is .