PDA

View Full Version : Who uses their nav lights while at anchor?

freddofrog
07-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi all

This was being discussed in another post but I thought I’d start a new one so it’s not tucked away.

IMHO, nav lights on while at anchor should be a big no no.

An anchor light indicates you are stationary (ie not manoeuvrable). Having your nav lights on indicate the exact opposite, ie are manoeuvrable and hence have obligations with respect to giving (or exercising) right of way...you can see where this is going huh...

So if someone in a sail boat or even a power boat off your starboard bears down on you and sees nav lights they would expect you to get out of the way. And when they t-bone you ‘cause you didn’t then you’d have a lot of explaining to do and some hefty repair bills to match. With only an anchor light on, everyone understands your intensions and gives you a wide berth (hopefully!).

This is assuming they have seen your anchor light in the first place. IMHO, if you are worried about others not seeing your anchor light (as some people are), just get a brighter anchor light...less confusion and everyone is safer.

I know people think differently so fire away….

cya
ff

seamaid
07-02-2008, 07:48 PM
;D
ILL start the ball rolling.
I have been fishing down Jumpinpin when the fishing clubs had their tournaments on,nearly got hit twice near Rat Island, so i switch them on at anchor, the fisho's were on the go all night, tryed to get a nap with one eye open,Iwill not forget that place
for a while.

:D Ged

TheRealAndy
07-02-2008, 08:01 PM
IF you have lights on, I know you are there. If you have 360deg light, i know you are anchored. If you have running lights one, I still know you are there. IF you have no lights I smash into you and you and/or I might die.

So, I would rather running lights than no lights. People argue that if you dont have anchor lights then I dont know where you are going so I can avoid you, but I say on a black night with no moon you still dont know where the boat is going or more specifically you dont know how fast they are going, so best to avoid. I have done a lot of night racing in yachts who have right of way, I still keep clear.

Use common sense, both at anchor and whilst driving at night, thats the best way.

BaitThrower
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Also, have your torch handy (yes that one you should have onboard) as a backup to warn approaching craft if they get too close when you are at anchor with your anchor light on :)

Noelm
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
nav lights should not be on while anchored, end of story, no argument/debate needed!

BGG
08-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Definitely no running lights on at anchor. If worried about flattening the battery, invest in a cheap solar light. The stainless garden variety work very well.

sharkymark2
08-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Was over at Peel many years ago at South West Rocks at anchor with the light burnt out Our secondary light was u/s as well. This big launch came bearing down on us: we were lighting matches and throwing them in the air. The boat just missed us by a meter. As it went pass we saw there was no one at the wheel and they were all out the back having a beer. :(. You should have seen their faces as they passed us by. Dumb dumb dumb. I always bring a flashlight that I have checked before hand now.

TheRealAndy
08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Definitely no running lights on at anchor. If worried about flattening the battery, invest in a cheap solar light. The stainless garden variety work very well.

I would have to disagree there, the solar garden light is not an anchor light. These things normally only last a few hours and the are not that visible. There is no subsitute for a proper anchor light. If your anchor light fails, then turn on your running lights.

Spaniard_King
08-02-2008, 08:33 PM
nav lights should not be on while anchored, end of story, no argument/debate needed!

Why would Maritime Safety regulate otherwise to the above comment?? Seems that other people know whats best than whats regulation.

Every body follow the rules as regulated.. b e know problem eh!

Change 1..have to change another 6 or so to accomodate that 1::)

Angla
08-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Make sure your gear is working as the regulations require. If you have no alternative white light then go home on your nav lights (under way).

A search light is a great investment wether it be fixed with joystick controls or just a hand held unit from super cheap.

I happen to have heaps of lights on board cause I am a sparky but some of the new portable led lights on leads would be a simple purchase and quite useful if needed in an emergency. I'm sure most people could put aligator clips on these so you just clip it on the battery posts when needed.

Chris

seatime
08-02-2008, 08:53 PM

assuming here that "nav lights" are meant to mean running/steaming lights (red/green sidelights, masthead & stern lights) not the white all-round (anchor) light on it's own when at anchor.

Dignity
08-02-2008, 09:54 PM
assuming here that "nav lights" are meant to mean running/steaming lights (red/green sidelights, masthead & stern lights) not the white all-round (anchor) light on it's own when at anchor.
agree - anchored with the red/green lights on is actually illegal. Biggest problem with all round anchor lights though is the number of quite large craft that have these dinky little stern lights on a stem about foot and half high behind a huge cabin - what chance has any got of seeing them - not considered all round lights either.

CHAPPY
09-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Re stationary white light required for anchoring, I have mounted mine on standard 300 high pole supplied with it above my bimini cover on my little tinny:). .Works well

Deepdiver
09-02-2008, 04:54 PM
i agree with you spaniard king,i don`t know what all the fuss is about.I thought it was very simple,i your not under way you have the anchor light on.I`ve lost count of how many near misses while travelling up the west side of fraser island at night.It really ticks me off when they don`t have an anchor light on.I just changed my light over to a L.E.D because i was allways worryed about the globe blowing through the night while im catching some zzzzzzzzzzzs.cheers Paul