PDA

View Full Version : Land based options to catch big squid

bondy99
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Greetings people,

Does anyone know of good land based spots where a person can catch large squid and best time of year between North Brisbane to the Gold Coast?

I also hear that Urangan Pier also fires up with Squid, but what time of year is the question? Peter

tunaticer
06-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Best place for big squid is Tangalooma jetty at night if you can get there.
Failing that I catch good sized squid to about the kilo mark off noosa heads in several locations (look for shallow weedy or mossy looking reefs)

Jack.

imnotoriginal
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Have caught squid at the tangalooma jetty before but I've found it to be unreliable to be honest. There's a write up on catching them on jigs and some suggested locations in the east coast fishing annual if you're after some reading material.
Joel

bondy99
07-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Best place for big squid is Tangalooma jetty at night if you can get there.
Failing that I catch good sized squid to about the kilo mark off noosa heads in several locations (look for shallow weedy or mossy looking reefs)

Jack.

Thanks Jack,

Thanks for the info, yep, been over to Tangalooma but no such luck, I might be picking the wrong time of year, either that, or, they were not around that particular night. I was out there a few days ago.

Jack, I assume your using a boat if your off noosa heads? I don't have one, but if you're up to it we can hook up and catch a few one day / night. Let me know. I have squid jigs. Peter

bondy99
07-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Have caught squid at the tangalooma jetty before but I've found it to be unreliable to be honest. There's a write up on catching them on jigs and some suggested locations in the east coast fishing annual if you're after some reading material.
Joel

Thanks Joel,

The East Coast Fishing Annual, is that from a newsagent or online via www?

If so, is there a particular Volume No or Year I need to know. Peter

imnotoriginal
07-02-2008, 07:29 PM
It was in the newsagent the other day. I only grabbed it as something to read in my lunch break. Was just shy of $20 but a big read. How'd you go fishing at tanga?
Joel

bondy99
07-02-2008, 07:44 PM
It was in the newsagent the other day. I only grabbed it as something to read in my lunch break. Was just shy of $20 but a big read. How'd you go fishing at tanga?
Joel

Thanks Joel,

I wasn't targetting anything in particular but managed to catch 8 bream, 2 Silver trevally, must have been lots of small buggers hanging around my hook, each time I throw out the line, I get a few taps but no fish and no bait. 10 fish all up it was ok.

When is the next time you going to tanga?

Peter

imnotoriginal
07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
November mate, but I may try and get over there for an extended weekend in spring to try for the flathead. That's not a bad haul among the happy moments, grinners and cormorants... Good work.
Joel

bondy99
07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Joel, might be over late november too, this project at uni is driving me nuts, lots of seminars, report writing, project proposal etc, etc. It must have been my lucky day, yep did have a few grinners on the line, make good flathead bait I think. Peter