PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch on any boat?

Geezerinoz
06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Hello,

Can someone tell me if it is possible to add an electric anchor winch to more or less any reasonable size fibreglass boat or does the boat have to be constructed originally to take one? I have a southwind SR565 which does not have one and would like to add a winch if possible and if it is a relatively easy job to do.

What do you guys think?

Geezer.

rubba
06-02-2008, 07:13 PM
get hold of flatty finder he has fitted one to his boat he will put you in right direction cheers

frank100
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Geezerinoz,
Mate the short answer to you question is yes.

BUT

You will need to sort out a few details, like what sort of winch (drum, windlass,etc) , mounting position, does the preffered mounting position require re inforced mountings (ie plate, thicker fibreglass etc)

Ask around at retailers who sell winches, look at manufactures web sites.

Frank

PWCDad
07-02-2008, 07:29 AM
The dealer where I buy my PWCs has just fitted an anchor winch to his SR Southwind ... works well !!

I supplied a "remote" winch controller which has been fitted as well .... drop anchor ... tie boat to shore ... press button and boat goes out .... shore rope tightens and boat sits in deep water all day .... instead of tide running out under it or adjusting all day ...

I can find out the model of the winch if you'd like ???

Regards
PWCDad

timddo
07-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Mate, interested in the remote of yours. pm price would be great

FrankFWM
07-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi there,

We put them together in a kit for this specific use.

There are three components - the keyfob remote control (like a car alarm keyfob) and then the transmitter box which get's hooked up to the back of your current anchor winch switch via a waterproof plug that we include in the kit.

It is very easy to install, a hot wire, up wire, down wire and a ground wire to the water proof plug which the transmitter box plugs into.

They are $154.95 including delivery ang GST anywhere in Australia - if there is more than 5 of you - like a group buy, I can do an Ausfish special price of $144.95 delivered anywhere in Australia - They are able to be ordered over the net - as long as they are in stock at the time, delivery is overnight.

This is all you need providing your winch has solenoids - which nearly all do big brands do.

If it doesn't, we have a solenoid pack which has the correct waterproof plugs for the transmitter to plug into...

I actualy installed one of these on my TRAILER WINCH so even if the weather is bad at the boat ramp, I can be standing at the back of my boat keeping it straight in the wind and hit the remote and winch it up all on my own.

I hope this is not breaking a forum policy here by making an ausfish group buy?

As long as it is within the forum guidlines, I can post up the link for more info and ordering... can someone advise?

Regards,

Frank