PDA

View Full Version : feeding the fish

ogilberry
06-02-2008, 03:50 PM
hi, I am new to the fishing game. But I was on a local jetty in Redland Bay. Throwing the line in. Using prawns, at just after high tide. I must have had 50 bites, but I could not bring anything in. The fish just kept stripping my bait. I was using bream hooks (thats what it said on the packet) and feeding the prawn around from the back along the hook. Lots of bites, no fish. Any tips

Jimbo73
06-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Try using a smaller hook and peeling your prawns if thats the bait you like and using pieces for bait. Not sure what rod or line you using but try using light rod and line,makes it easier to feel the bites and when they actually take the bait. sounds like you had something small picking your bait,try shifting spots a little if you keep losing your bait to small bites. Cheers Jamie

Vindicator
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah sounds like they were just pickers, not something you'd want to catch anyway.

Cheers
Kezza

Keechie
06-02-2008, 08:07 PM
try sizing down your hooks and maybe change spots they could of been like small bream or toadfish.

regards,
keechie

ogilberry
06-02-2008, 10:57 PM
thanks lads. My boat rod has a braid line, but after I packed up I realised that I had not tied a leader. Do you think that this would have hurt my chances. What is the go with the leader any way. Appreciater your help.

fishingnottaken
07-02-2008, 08:43 AM
I'd say the smaller fish were moving in and flogging your bait before the big boys could have a look in, try picking up some mullet fillet from fish shop or even coles or some fresh prawns, just make sure they're product of Australia to save spreading disease, buying fresh prawns from the fish shop works out cheaper than buying the frozen bait, and the prawns are hardier. a leader would be a good idea, especially if you're chasing bream, what breaking strain is the braid you're using? as previously mentioned changing spots might be an idea as well, maybe along the rock walls? but it could be a case of trading comfort and convenience for fish, and where there is little fish there will be big fish, just in area like the redland bay jetty, they're going to be more hook shy so you'll have to be on top of your game bait presentation wise. hoe this helps,

Scott nthQld
07-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Braid has very little abrasion resistance, so if something bigger comes along and swallows our hook, braid is more likely to wear through and break than mono. Also applies if you are fishing into structure. If a fish gets the upper hand and gets back to the rocks, timber etc, then with a mono leader you are more likely to get the fish out, rather than having a bust off. Some people will say that the braid is easily seen by the fish and might scare them off, but I don't know about that.