PDA

View Full Version : Spiggot bearing Landy clutch

bugman
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Gents,

I had the clutch replaced in the Landy late in 06 at 135000km. It's fair to say it was ruined. The plate was purple and had cracks in it. Might have something to do with lots of the sand driving and towing big boats etc.

Anyway the new clutch has been developing a noise so I took it back this week with only an extra 35000km on it.

As soon as I pull up the mechanic comes out and says - you've done a spiggot bearing on that clutch I can hear it from here. I point out to him that he put the clutch in not so long ago. He then goes on to tell me that the TD5 manuals are known for it with that particularly bearing failing quite often straight out of the box.

He's fixed heaps over the years - all as dry and Phil Navara before it got dunked;) It seems they leak the grease out somehow. The upshot is the work is being done under warrantly and she goes in next week.

Just thought I'd let anyone else out there know with the TD5 manuals.

Brett

jimbamb
06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Great Machinery those Landys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

station-rat
06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
The first bearing was in for 135,000 and gave no trouble, new bearing 35,000 later and it is N***ered, Sounds a bit strange to me
Station-rat

bugman
06-02-2008, 07:15 PM
From what I am reading around the traps now ... they have dud bearings.

Some guys have no probs and others fail at around 20k. It seems the greese comes out of the bad ones and they end up dry as dry and basically grind.

I guess you get lucky or you don't.

I'll get a photo when they take it out.

Horse
06-02-2008, 07:24 PM
It would be nice if they put autos as an option in the Defenders. They seem bulletproof in the Discos while the manuals have all had some issues