PDA

View Full Version : Importing Sounder from U.S.

Drag on
06-02-2008, 06:29 AM
Hi

Does anyone know what import duties and taxes there are on electronics imported from the U.S. if its for personal use.

Thanks

greyfox
06-02-2008, 06:48 AM
As far as I am aware, zero if the purchase price is less than $1000. I know of people who have spent considerably more and still paid no import taxes,etc. There seem to be plenty of shops to do business with. I have bought through Neil at ############### and been very happy with the service and prices. Usually goods arrive in four/five business days at the doorstep or local post office. E-mails from the US postal service keep you informed re where your goods are whilst in transit.

bayfisher
06-02-2008, 06:50 AM
I believe once the product/products your importing are worth over $1000 aud then you will be hit up for GST.

Cheers Chris

captain670
06-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Try this customs website, seems to hvae all the info you would need.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

Seems like it's tax free until $1000, then the taxes really start piling up. If it's close to $1000, often the supplier will put a lower value to save you the tax, sometimes without asking which is nice :)

I will actually be looking at getting a Lowrance 7200C chartplotter in 6 months or so, probably from Fishon Marine. They sell em for a bit under AU$1200. I had actually completely forgotten about the $1000 limit...hmmmm this may a coupla hundred dollars :(

Does anyone have personal experience buying >$1000 from Fishon or other marine electronics suppliers? Did you pay tax and how much?

dnej
06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Have a look above at the sponsor of the electronics section.Fishon Marine.Get on to their web site.
David

outofcontrol
06-02-2008, 12:50 PM
g'day, i imported a madman (navman) tracker no question asked it was just under the $1000, be careful of your warranty madman aust wouldn't honor the warranty and it lasted 1 trip, had to send it back overseas

tenzing
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I have bought 2 sounders and a gps at various times through ebay from the US.

No duties, quick delivery and no hassles with any of them . maybe just lucky?

Brendan

marco
06-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Seems like it's tax free until $1000, then the taxes really start piling up. If it's close to $1000, often the supplier will put a lower value to save you the tax, sometimes without asking which is nice :)

mate be careful with the supplier lowering the price for you on the invoice to avoid duties , this means it will be insured for the lowered price and if it goes missing in the post thats all that will be paid out and trust me stuff does goes missing and it is a bitch to get anyone to do anything about it .

as a rough guide anything over 1000 bucks add 15% .

lutjanus
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I imported Gps /sdr cost $3000AUD approx. Cost $55 Customs fee plus GST $400 round figures.Note NO duty if item made in US --Free trade agreement.Got the suplier to freight ---used UPS-They did it all.Can trace on computer all way to Aust. lTheir freight costs incl insur. Delivered to door and paid driver total bill on spot.Took 4 days. Do'nt worry about looking up customs sites etc-I did and not req--Freight coy do it. Got item at half price when $ was 77c. Highly recommend this way Very easy. Check prices by Google marine elec- boating equip etc.Plenty of suppliers.

bluefin59
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Send a message to pat from fishon site sponsor he will answer all your questions and he is quick .......matt

steve99
06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey Guys

I dont think there would be too many suppliers willing to lower the price to help you avoid paying duty.

Filling out a USPS customs declaration incorrectly is an offence. Any overseas supplier that does it faces severe penalties.

IF customs open the parcel ( which they often do ) they would see the invoice with correct amount,and then someones in big trouble.

Cheers Steve99

TheSaint
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
PM Sent....

marco
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey Guys

I dont think there would be too many suppliers willing to lower the price to help you avoid paying duty.

Filling out a USPS customs declaration incorrectly is an offence. Any overseas supplier that does it faces severe penalties.

IF customs open the parcel ( which they often do ) they would see the invoice with correct amount,and then someones in big trouble.

Cheers Steve99

there is one place that starts with scuba and ends with steve that offers that deal and has even posted on ausfish that he is willing to do it . but as you explained if your caught out you risk a lot .

Ninja
07-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Hey Guys

Cheers Steve99
Why would they even pack an invoice? Email the invoice, declare the goods value as you choose and declare it a gift, warrenty return, industry sample ect.
Done. If you are worried about doing the right thing for the poor pollies who don't get enough.....use a middle man instead of direct from supplier then in all legalities...it's a gift.

the gecko
07-02-2008, 10:56 AM
I agree, declare its value as 'gift'. For all customs know, youre wife bought it for you as a gift.......
damn, shes used my credit card again, lol.

ANdrew

snelly1971
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
www.#############.com/_e/gdept/01/Fishfinders.htm

They are the best to deal with

Mick

lutjanus
07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey, As I said there is NO duty even if item over 1000 if The item is made OR assembled in USA. Raymarine, Hummingbird Lowarance Eagle for sure .I think even Furuno are exempt as they assemble them in US. [Check this however]i

Shanoss
09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey, As I said there is NO duty even if item over 1000 if The item is made OR assembled in USA. Raymarine, Hummingbird Lowarance Eagle for sure .I think even Furuno are exempt as they assemble them in US. [Check this however]i

Think you will find that at least Eagle/Lowrance are now made in Mexico.

snelly1971
09-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Makes no difference where it is made or assembled, if its over 1000 dollars then you will have to pay import duties

Mick

smaks
10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Yep agree with all of the above. But I would chase up the local guys doing the importing and get them to do it for you - yep - you will pay 5 to 10% more but when the nugget hits the fan and a unit dies - it is a local phone call, local postage and a new one turns up on your doorstep?

I am happy from this end, I saved 45% on a 7 inch plotter, but the screen played up - I had a new one is 6 days and it was all local.

Burley_Boy
13-02-2008, 08:44 PM
As far as i know duty on electronic goods (except when exempt) is 5%.
GST is 10%.
Like said, duty depends on where made and what it is less any exemptions. When either is applied is dependant upon value of the goods (over $1k when privately imported).
Found a lot of times that customs will not have the time to process all goods coming through normal postal services so they pick on the heavier parcels a a sort of spot check!!
Always through courier companies they will declare goods as specified by shipper.
Seldom gets checked by customs.

Just my experience after hundreds of boxes over the years. But note that freight service and shipping country have a huge bearing in what gets looked at.
Most of my stuff is couriered and declared.