PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motors - Variable Speed?

Lapras
05-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Hi,

I am just about to buy a Watersnake (http://www.jarviswalker.com.au/motors.asp) 50lbCV or 54lbET transom mount electric for my tinny and have a few questions.

i) Is that the right size (14' runabout forward controls 40HP - fairly heavy for a tinny)

ii) Is it worth the extra $200 to get variable speed or is 5 forward/ 2 reverse enough?

iii) Is there such a thing as a transom mount with features like the autopilot of the bow mount.

I'd be interested in any other comments.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

TonyM
06-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Dave,

1: Should do the job no worries
2: I prefer variable - best you try them out first if you can. For a tiller steer the variable would still do the job
3: Not that I'm aware of

If at all possible I'd strongly recommend a bow mount as they make it far easier to control the boat

Cheers
Tony

Lapras
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM
If at all possible I'd strongly recommend a bow mount as they make it far easier to control the boat

Cheers
Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the info.

I just thought it would be too awkward climbing over the windscreen everytime I wanted to use it. See photo.

If anyone else has mounted a bow electric on a similar boat I'd really appreciate an honest opinion of "pain in the butt" factor of getting to it.

Thanks,

Dave

TonyM
06-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Oops - I made the mistake of assuming it was an open boat! :-/

I agree that would probably be a hassle with a bow mount. Firstly you'd need to modify the bow rails and secondly as you mentioned the hassle of climbing over the screen.

A transom mount is certainly better than nothing, although you might find steerage a bit difficult in wind or strong current