PDA

View Full Version : Valvoline 2-stroke Oil

BaitThrower
05-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering from those who use Valvoline 2-stroke oil in your outboards, whether you have had any problems? I have had no problems yet with it and I have used Valvoline Oil in my car since new and it has done 250,000km without one single engine problem. This leads me to believe their car oil is quite reasonable (I do change it often however) and I assume their outboard oil would be of good quality. It has to be of a certain standard to meet the TCW-3 spec doesn't it?

Anyway I was running BP Hi-Tide but that stuff smoked like a retired hollywood actor. No problems since switching to Valvoline, and lot less smoke. Just wondering if any others have any stories on the negative side (Actual users of the stuff only please) I don't need to know your preffered $3000 a barrel ultra spec outboard oil is the best thing since sliced tuna ::)

FNQCairns
05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
The big V....

Run Forest Run!

at least in a historic sense.

cheers fnq

PS just a little on human nature, actual users and negative comments are hard to come across:)..this comment might make it a little easier though.

BM
05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
"Oils aint oils"

Theres TCW3 as per the oil companies formulation (meet the standard and that'll do) and then theres outboard manufacturers TCW3 formulation (typically well beyond the standard).

Sure the oil company oils will work fine but they lack important ingredients or higher concentrations of certain ingredients.

Talk to a rebuilder and most can tell you if an engine thats pulled down has been run on good oil or cheap oil.

Cheers

DJ77
05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
i have used it as long as i have had outboard motors never had a problem 15HP merc and 40HP yammi auto lube only time they have ever smoked is on start up

BaitThrower
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
The big V....

Run Forest Run!

at least in a historic sense.

cheers fnq

PS just a little on human nature, actual users and negative comments are hard to come across:)..this comment might make it a little easier though.

True but there might have been some ex-users of Valvoline that have since switched because of problems etc. I'm just trying to avoid comment from anyone that has NEVER used it before and wants to claim it is crap etc :-*

rubba
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
i run it and have for years and have never had a problem.think it fine cheers8-)

STUIE63
06-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Bait thrower have a read of this thread it might answer some of your questions . I think this is why FNQ said run forrest run
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=114151&highlight=tcw3
Stuie

Coontakinta
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Bait thrower, like you have used it in my 300K+ km VL commodore without any issues. Also use it in my 2004 TLDi 90 after being advised by the dealer to do so. The stuff I use is is synthetic fortified, again as specified by the dealer.

BaitThrower
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks all for the info. Maybe I might switch to a "better" oil for the motor. I'll see what's around, but welcome any recommendations for an 80's Suzi 5HP.

stick
06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I use it pre mixed on a 96 200 yammie which has never missed a beat in three years. Mine seems quite smokey reversing and at idle. Having said that im quite tempted to spend up and see if there is a difference relative to price. Im sure its been tested on here before.

pickers
06-02-2008, 05:27 PM
baitthrower
I used it in my motor for about 6 months and had no end of trouble with plugs oiling up badly , finding oil that had not burnt dripping from the carbs , hard to start and all sorts of stuff.
it may work better in newer motors but it don't go too good in older motors.
pickers

Black_Rat
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
"Valvoline ........... you know what I mean" ;D

I've used it always in my outboards over the years, a 30 Yammie and 90 Merc with no dramas.

BM
06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
I use it pre mixed on a 96 200 yammie which has never missed a beat in three years. Mine seems quite smokey reversing and at idle. Having said that im quite tempted to spend up and see if there is a difference relative to price. Im sure its been tested on here before.

Why are you premixing a 96 Yammy??

griz066
06-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes i use it in my 90 johno with no problems at all, in fact it runs better on it than another brand with a yellow shell on the bottle

snelly1971
06-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I have also used Valvoline for years without any problems....

Mick

nigelr
07-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Valvoline works fine for me also...........the Valvoline tcw3 outboard oil that is.
I'm running a very basic engine however, a simple Tojo 30hp.
I have learnt to make sure the pre-mix is well shaken, not just stirred.
When you're on a good thing...............
Cheers.

tiny_tinny
07-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I've used Valvoline for as long as I can remember (and I've had one boat or another for thirty-odd years). I've had a range of outboards - different sizes and brands - in that time and never had a problem with the stuff. I still use it and will continue to do so.

Mike

stick
07-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Why are you premixing a 96 Yammy??

Previous owner had the oil injection unit shit itself 30k out. Enough reason for him to block it off and sell boat. Seems to work well if you idle around.

BM
07-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Yammy oil injection pumps are very reliable. The only thing that typically goes wrong with them is they leak from the seal on the input shaft and that leaks oil into the crankcase and makes for a smokey first minute after cold startup.

I am not aware of one having ceased pumping...

Cheers

stick
07-02-2008, 09:36 AM
The unit looked badly corroded and a split in the tank from memory.Have concidered buying new one but its a long wish list. I take it this would go a long way to saving the ozone from 2 stroke smoke.

BM
07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
It would run better if it were installed. But it will run fine as is.

Cheers

Moonlighter
07-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I've run Valvoline for years and hundreds of hours in Yammie 30 and 70 hp oil injected engines with never any trouble, or excess smoke or any noticeable difference to the genuine Yammie product..

As someone mentioned earlier, Tohatsu recommended if to me for their direct injection TLDI 90 and when I inquired, they said it had to be sent to Japan for testing by the Tohatsu factory before approval was given, and the factory gave it one of their highest ratings at the time.

Grant

FrankFWM
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
"Oils aint oils"

Theres TCW3 as per the oil companies formulation (meet the standard and that'll do) and then theres outboard manufacturers TCW3 formulation (typically well beyond the standard).

Sure the oil company oils will work fine but they lack important ingredients or higher concentrations of certain ingredients.

Talk to a rebuilder and most can tell you if an engine thats pulled down has been run on good oil or cheap oil.

Cheers

So after all of that - are you saying that this Synthetic Valvoline 2 stroke oil is Good or Bad?????

Chris Ryan
08-02-2008, 06:34 AM
i used to use the Valvoline mineral 2-stoke outboard oil. Gummed up plugs and carbs and smoked a heap on start-up.

Moved to Nautilus synthetic and the difference is a clean piston chamber & plugs and much less smoke from the V4 115hp Johno.

Whatever you do, go synthetic regardless of brand.

Coontakinta
08-02-2008, 07:34 AM
As someone mentioned earlier, Tohatsu recommended if to me for their direct injection TLDI 90 and when I inquired, they said it had to be sent to Japan for testing by the Tohatsu factory before approval was given, and the factory gave it one of their highest ratings at the time.

Grant you'll need to ensure / clarify that this reccomendation is for the Synthetic Fortified Valvoline and not the normal mineral stuff. Not sure what you guys are paying for this but I think I'm paying around $27 for a 5litre pack.

FrankFWM
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Grant you'll need to ensure / clarify that this reccomendation is for the Synthetic Fortified Valvoline and not the normal mineral stuff. Not sure what you guys are paying for this but I think I'm paying around $27 for a 5litre pack.

I am using and referring to the Synthetic one... is this a poor oil?

BaitThrower
08-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Umm yeah the 2-stroke Valvoline I am using is also the "Synthetic Fortified" version. Whats the go with that stuff... good or bad?

Coontakinta
08-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Well it hasnt caused me any greif yet. Motor is not smokey, unlike the oldmans optimax run on optimax oil, and its the oil specified by the manufacturer.