PDA

View Full Version : Trim tabs

ovakil
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Has anyone just bought the hydraullic arm for trim tabs & made there own tabs?I saw on internet site complete set $343 US,& hydraullic arms $60 US each.As I have taken off my boat some tabs that were fixed in place.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=120385

the_bomber
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Does that include the lines pump controls etc?
For the sake of a few dollars and peace of mind that you were buying a tried and tested product with manufacturers warranties I would buy a known brand like Bennetts and be done with it. Have you worked out the conversion and shipping plus no local back up if something is not right?

ovakil
06-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Didn't think about lines:-[ ,as for prices I was just looking around.I saw today the bennets were just as good price here.
Thanks

Nofishtoobig
06-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Smart tabs!!! no controls needed and work a treat. Less fuss easy to fit and really do what they say. I opted away from the dramas of more controls etc and they they cost 1/2 as much. Check the web site.

Briannes
06-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi nofishtobig i have a Yalta 535 and am looking at putting a set of smarttabs sx on they will send over for $180 all up. my problem is that the boat comes off the plane to soon 3400revs and takes a bit of go to get it up early. how do they work on your boat?
Brian

Nofishtoobig
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey brainnes,

My propblem was conversion from inboard to out, the weight transfer to the stern, basically the handling / cornering was pretty good and had trouble getting on the plane, if i gave it some no problem but for a slow take off was sitting on a 30 degree lean or might of been more it would just sit bow up until i gave it some with the trim giving minimal assistance. :-[

After fitting the improvement was amazing staight on the plane with corect triming performance from the donk and to my suprise it even made inprovements to handling wich i thought was pretty good to start with overal the best 300 i spent (bought through sam allen whole sale locally), i toyed with the idea of a permatrim but on a deep vee was concerned about keel riding, and i've got some gibson hyd tabs that were originally on it but i wanted a simple solution, :o

What i like about them is they are working all the time with out having to think about, i've even noticed improvements in rough weather and trailing seas, kinda like having a set of shocks on your boat. Ironically i can say its one of the few items i've bought were the maketing hype is honest.

The only bad side is if you want to go and beach the boat you have to be mindful but they can be strung up, same goes i suppose if your trailer is an issue.

I opted for the 60lb version and its plenty on the hardest setting its like driving with brakes on after a quick adjustment i have on the mid setting.

Is setup on a cruisecraft ranger 5.8m / 160lt fuel pushed by a suzi 140 8-)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/Nofishtoobig/IMGP1063.jpg

Getout
07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
How do smart tabs work?

Briannes
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
thanks Nofishtobig I will definately get a set then have read all the blab about then but with what you have said its a go
thanks heaps

Nofishtoobig
07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey getout , They are gass fill cylinders (nitrogen i think) mounted to a tab.