PDA

View Full Version : Balgal Beach Boat Ramp

NQBoyes
05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
hey guys just enquiring to see if any NQ Fishos use the balgal beach ramp at rollingstone. looking at launching my 530 poly and heading over the palms or even brewer reef just not sure as to the ramp quality and getting in and out of the channel, do i have to come and go at high tide or will there be pleanty of water. thanks for your help

Alan TSV
05-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Ramp is good for all types of trailer boats.

1.7M tide to get in and out from memory

http://www.bbbalc.com/ website with more info

cheers

Al

levinge
06-02-2008, 08:44 AM
I have fished Balgal in the past and you cannot get into the creek when it gets to the lower end of the tide. Mid to High tide would see you safe into the creek. Have had to wait for the incoming tide on one occassion and it took a little while for it to flood over the flats and fill the channell. Not sure on the make up of the channel at present but the recent rains will no doubt have altered the entrance yet again. Talk to a local!!

Ramp is good although it has a steeper angle than most ramps local to Townsville, so if you believe your vehicle is under powered, think twice.

Advice is to launch with a little light around, as the last time I was up there, the locals were reporting a 3m Croc had the rights to the creek and had been seen near the ramp on occassions (18months ago, but haven't heard anything about it being removed since then).

Once you get out from Balgal, there is a set of shoals about 1 Km off the beach, otherwise it would be a pretty short trip to the Palms..

Hope this helps you out!!

Scott nthQld
06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Would be interested to know as well, haven't fished off balgal before, but I have had a look at the ramp, looks ok for launching my boat (16ft quinnie)

trueblue
06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Have not been there for years, but it is a creek where local knowledge is needed. The channel changes a fair bit, and you do need mid to high tide to get in and out. Reef patches on the southern side of the bar to watch out for.

Last time I went through there in a mates boat, the channel was a big dogleg that I had trouble picking.

Find someone local to show you the ropes and you would be ok.

Cheers

benny2208
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
go and have a look at low tide that will give you some idea of where to go and not to go