PDA

View Full Version : What to buy and where to buy it!!

GavinW
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I need some help as i have just purchased a boat that came with no electronics, I will be doing nearly all my fishing in Westernport and Port Phillip Bays and would like to know what sounder and gps would suit these areas and where to buy them from.I have a budget of about $1000 all up.

Thanks in advance.
Gavin

Spaniard_King
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
buy the best possible sounder you can and buy a basic GPS even like a garmin 126 to get you by IMO. Hard to get 2 good units for under a $1,000. different storry if you have that to spend for each.

GavinW
05-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks Garry , my problem is i spent all my money on the boat and i only have about a grand to spend on electronics and i dont know what is value for money or the best place to buy (here or maybe the USA).everything seems to vairy in prices and to be honest i dont reaily understand the jargon.Should i buy black and white or color? Single or duel beam?I just dont know what i will need,What do most people use or recomend?

GavinW
05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
and other things like should i get a gps or a gps chartplotter?

polky
05-02-2008, 12:15 PM
With your sounder go colour theres just no comparison to b/w. If it was me I,d go the Garmin 340 or 400 c they come with dual frequ transducer, then buy a garmin handheld GPS for around $400. If your fishin in 50mtrs or less you don.t realy need a dual transducer, but if the unit has one its no dramma. The Garmin 420 combo is a excellent little unit for around 900. A touch tiny but still excellent. Jump on to fishon and check out the units from the states, its safe to import through them. You need a good gps, sounder is the excellent item you need Polky

GavinW
05-02-2008, 01:15 PM
is it better to buy a combo or two seperate units, i would worry with a combo if it stuffed up for any reason you would be without both or am i just being paranoid?

deadbeatloser
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
you will be able to buy both for 1000, i purchased brand new raymarine ds500x and a garmin 400series chartplotter both for $1100,, mr boats on the bay , is located in nsw.. bought couple of things off him with no probs and full warranty.

dbl;D

GavinW
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
thanks i will check out his site

joeT
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Separate units for sure. I find that with chartplotters, there is so much info for a 5in screen already, can't imagine having to split that screen with the sounder as well, wouldn't be able to see a thing.

When getting a chartplotter don't forget you will need to factor in the cost of maps, which is pretty expensive (~2-300).

GavinW
05-02-2008, 05:59 PM
My Dad has a spare c-map for the areas i intend to fish so that will save me some $$$ if i get a chartplotter that fits the same map.By the sounds of what the helpful members are saying color is the way to go.But is it nessasary for a gps or would b/w be ok.I now understand the color f/finders have advantages over b/w is this also the case with gps/chartplotters?

joeT
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
IMO, colour GPS chartplotters are just as advantageous. It will let you see at a glance red/green markers as well as know when you're travelling through land (as my skeg can attest to).

GavinW
05-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Color for both it is then, i may have to buy them on at a time , have many members bought things from FISHON? If so how did you get on? There prices seem pretty fair.

joeT
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Bought both my Raymarine DS500X and Northstar 550i with fuel flow and maps from there. No hassles at all and arrived in a week (during Christmas as well). Prices are pretty spot on with what you can get on the net. Although it doesn't hurt to search around, US dealers seem fairly used to shipping to Aust...

dnej
06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Gavin,
At the top of this section you will see a banner advertisement from the sponsor Fishon marine
Click on their link,for some good information.
I would keep the units separate.
Go for the Raymarine,435 chart plotter.However you would be looking at about 1300 dollars for that alone.
My sounder choice would be Furuno FCV 585
David

GavinW
06-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Dave i would love to have both of those units but the BOSS says i have to keep it under a grand i think she thinks ive spent too much on the boat already.

GavinW
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
OK ive done some research and i can get a garmin 400c color f/finder and a color northstar 550 gps for less than a grand from fishon. These seem to be the best choices given my budget,does anyone have some feedback on these units?After sales service?

joeT
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, I have the Northstar, and touch wood haven't had any issues with it yet. Even the fuel flow meter works very well. Northstar is just a rebadged Navman and you'll find plenty of threads here saying they have issues with their units, so I'm guessing their quality control ain't the best. Made in NZ so you can't expect much eh (just kidding). Hard to recommend something that has a patchy reputation, but I bought mine because it was affordable and had fuel flow capabilities.

Sorry can't help with the Garmin FF.

outsiderskip
07-02-2008, 04:48 AM
buythem from us
u will have some change

pete

GavinW
07-02-2008, 08:05 PM
joeT , My dad has an old b/w navman not sure what type he has only ever had problems with the c-map never the unit. I just wish i had more money to spend then it would make my choices a lot easier.

GavinW
07-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry Pete im a new member here and i dont know where your from.If you give me your companys name or a link to your web site im more than happy to have a look at what you have.
Cheers Gavin

Kev_McC
09-02-2008, 07:00 AM
might also be worth looking at Qld Outdoor and Marine Electronics

polky
10-02-2008, 01:00 AM
The Garmin 400c is a good unit. Polky.

GavinW
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks Guys for all your help i ordered my units from fishon last night.I ordered a garmin 400c and a navman 550 gps they both fit into my budget including delivery.

I will let you all know how i get on, although i cant see myself having any problems from what i here they are good to deal with.

Thanks again for all you help and advice.

Cheers Gavin

smaks
10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I am with spaniard king. If you have marks - a hand held will get you to where you need to be, but a sounder will be the thing that find the sort of bottom you are looking for. I would spend the money on the sounder and get the hand held (which you can use for other things like camping). Go the Raymarine DS500 or someone suggested the Garmin 400C all pretty good sounders for the money. I would then go either a garmin hand held or something like that (GPS60). But you should have nearly $400 or $500 left after the sounder so something like a fixed mount 5" seiwa would nearly be do-able if you already have a cmap chart laying around!