PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Mackay?

DJ77
05-02-2008, 06:10 AM
i am considering moving to Mackay for work i was just wondering what the fishing is like up there?

BobbyJ123
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
G'day mate. Plenty of places in and around the city for a bloke to wet a line. The harbour has some great fish, just outside the harbour are Flattop and Roundtop Islands. Then there are the Newry Islands just 4-7 km off Seaforth, 48 km nw of Mackay, plenty of reefies, trevs, mackerel etc. Taffy Island, Lonely Reef, off Armstrong Beach and the Smith Islands, some 25-30 km off shore.
Then there are 4 dams for barra and, or sooties, within 2 hours' drive of the city.
The Pioneer has some good jacks and barra, and salmon, flathead, whiting and golden trevs at the mouth...Yes, there is somewhere for you to launch the Webster.
http://www.sunzine.net/mackay/mackay-map.html

DJ77
05-02-2008, 05:28 PM
all the creeks rivers and bays look like they have high potential from sat pics on the net would be very keen to get the old cat on to some open reef patches and hook into some hard fighting critters im pretty sure me and the boys will love it not so sure about the wife tho because we will always be fishing

chewy01
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Mate, we holiday at seaforth for three weeks every year and the fishing can be pretty awesime.We fish st helens bay mostly ang nearby creeks and days of half a dozen barra aren't uncommon luring. Around the close in islands you have blueies,trout,grunter and fingermark(though luring for these round the headlends is pretty costly).In sept 2006 there were more mackeral off rabbit island than i have ever seen.You could jig them from under the boat on snaps.As mentioned before teemburra is gr8 and apparently recovering this year. In addition the sootys round gargett are good if you fancy a walk up a creek with a backpack.If you haven't gathered i'm pretty rapt in the place.If you end up going send me an email(if i can work out how to do it on this site as this is my first post) and i'll tell you what little i know. The guys at the local tackle stores are grb, spending a few bucks is invaluable i'v found. Anyway hope this helps.
Chewy......

DJ77
05-02-2008, 06:25 PM
sweet i am getting keener by the min i love to fish but if i can get a good feed constantly thats even better
nothing like crusing around on the water and getting a feed

MyEscape
06-02-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd be pretty careful walking th creeks with a backpack. Especially in the Seaforth/St Helen's area. Quite a few crocs to share the creeks with.

Don't forget the area is quite open to the weather here and there's a lot of days when the only option is the creeks.

We live near Haypoint (well where else would Steve@haypoint live!) and I regularly drive th couple of k's to the boatramp at the tugboat harbour (for the Hay Point and Dalrymple Bay coal terminals) and beleive me most days you'd be looking at the creeks

As a "local" (well I've been here for 11 years) I'd recommend you do some homework on the real estate market as it's fairly expensive. But, there's a lot of employment around in the mining and associated industries and pays well. So it depends on your workskills.

All the best anyway. It's a great place to live.

Steve

BobbyJ123
06-02-2008, 04:53 AM
I'd be pretty careful walking th creeks with a backpack. Especially in the Seaforth/St Helen's area. Quite a few crocs to share the creeks with.

Don't forget the area is quite open to the weather here and there's a lot of days when the only option is the creeks.

We live near Haypoint (well where else would Steve@haypoint live!) and I regularly drive th couple of k's to the boatramp at the tugboat harbour (for the Hay Point and Dalrymple Bay coal terminals) and beleive me most days you'd be looking at the creeks

As a "local" (well I've been here for 11 years) I'd recommend you do some homework on the real estate market as it's fairly expensive. But, there's a lot of employment around in the mining and associated industries and pays well. So it depends on your workskills.

All the best anyway. It's a great place to live

Steve

Have to agree with that in every way, mate. Very pricey land and home packages and the rentals are very high.
Some good fishing around the Sarina Beach area, too. Used to go on holidays to S.Beach until we found Ball Bay.:D where we retired....

MyEscape
06-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Yup, would love to retire to Ball bay area. Though I'll be hitting the Sarina inlet area as soon as my new boat arives.

Steve

chewy01
06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry guys,
i actually meant walking the freshwater creeks round gargett and pinnicle for sooties. in saying that some gr8 barra fishing can be had off the bank with a bit of planning and a LOT of caution.sorry for the confusion.:(

MyEscape
07-02-2008, 06:34 AM
That's okay. I've always said "convince 'em or confuse'em"

Actually i've never done the freshwater creek thing. Sounds like another plan to me. Especially when it's windy out the front.

Steve

DJ77
07-02-2008, 08:41 PM
either way looks like i will be there job transfer is on may be up there on my own for a few trip before the troops come up just have to work out where to live in relation to work just out of interest how long dose it take to cross mackay by car because i will be working as a service tec on fork lifts

BobbyJ123
08-02-2008, 05:22 AM
either way looks like i will be there job transfer is on may be up there on my own for a few trip before the troops come up just have to work out where to live in relation to work just out of interest how long dose it take to cross mackay by car because i will be working as a service tec on fork lifts
G'day mate.10-15 minutes depending on traffic.
Have you any specific place to live/work? I live 48 km north of town and it takes me 35-45 minutes to get to the airport.

DJ77
08-02-2008, 06:00 AM
not sure on where to live up there yet somwhere fairly quiet and close to fishing 1/4 acre block would be nice
i will be working for crown lift trucks in field service will try and base my self close to base/locker wont mind driving 1/2 to work each day
im sick of brizy traffic 45 mins to work on a good day 1and 1/2 to 2 hours on a bad day and same or worse on a friday arvo
cheers dallas

BobbyJ123
08-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Pm your address mate, and I will send you a copy of the Mackay Realtor. Loads of houses and prices. OK?

DJ77
08-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Pm your address mate, and I will send you a copy of the Mackay Realtor. Loads of houses and prices. OK?

thanks for the offer mate mackay job has gone townsville tec is going back to mackay
now they are offering me townsville not sure what i am going to do now