PDA

View Full Version : Icom 422 to GARMIN GPS 76C NMEA 0183 connections

Bandy3
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi good people,

New to posting so be gentle.

Looking for a bit of advise on the following if anybody has done it, or knows how to do.
Currently, I have my Furuno 585 connected to my handheld Garmin 76C via the power data cord, which works a treat once I had configured it. - Thanks to Chop who supplied info.
But I have two issues with the installation:
One with 12volt power to the GPS - not powerering up on 12volt, still battery cycle.
The second- getting another set of data out to the Icom 422 radio.

I connected my Icom 422 Radio up during the installation to utilize the NMEA 0183 and GPS positioning function but I must of got a wire arse about. (used another set of coloured wires in the cable bundle from info I sourced from the net) and hence no data is being displayed on the radio re GPS positon.
What info I am chasing is which colour wires do you hook up to get a second NMEA reading to the VHF radio.
The cable I have feeding the GPS is the common garmin power data cable.
The GPS unit will support up to three if not two, I think 0183 devices.

So has anybody done it and would be willing to pass on the info of just what wire colour does what on the Garmin power / data cable and make me a happy chappy.

thanks for your time.

CT
27-01-2013, 05:10 PM
I found this old post when going through the same drama. Now I have an answer.

The NMEA in wire for the ICOM (the red wire) is a sheathed cable. The surrounding sheathing wires need to be twisted together and terminated to ground (earth) of the GPS.

Now mine works a treat and hopefully this might be of use to someone else.

Cheers
Craig

honda900
28-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Both the red and white icom wires have a a shield inside the sheath. connect bot of them to a ground wire (i ran a separate wire to a ground for this).

Garmin Blue to Red Icom
Garmin Brown to White Icom

as per the attached diagram.

the other thing you need to do is in the garmin unit is to enable data out 0183 and select the following sentence type;

nmea 0183 sentence : GLL

Regards
Honda.

MarkIC
24-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Worked a treat for me too :-)

It would not find the GPS data until I connected the radio "NMEA In" shield to ground.

Thanks guys