PDA

View Full Version : Painting a boat

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Hello eveyrone,
i have recently purchased my first dinghy which is a 3m fiberglass boat.
it is pretty dirty and i tihnk it would need a paint but i have no idea what paint and process i need. could anyone help me and any information would be appreciated
cheers

Hebb
04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi first bit of advice would be give it a really good clean and polish with a dedicated fibreglass restorer for the exterior. You might be surprised at the result. I am in the process of re-painting my seafarer v-sea and it is a time consuming and fiddly process. First I had to flip it over to do outer hull and fill and sand out all damage marks. Then i primed it and painted with a poly urethane two pack paint applied with spraygun and compressor. So as you can see to get a pro finish you need an area you can spraypaint in and some good equipment to do the job along with a steady arm and eye for detail. Just applying paint or flowcoat with paintbrush will leave a lots off brush marks and imperfections. Acceptable inside the boat i suppose but outer hull you like to look good. If the gelcoat seems in good condition I would be cleaning and polishing.
Hebb

Blaster Bretty
07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah hebb's on the money... I took advice gained from this site and painted my boat ( 3.8 glass runabout) in 2 pac, which is used because of its toughness and pro finish gained from a backyard paint. As always rub the hull right back before you apply anything and it should come up ok... make sure the neighbors are not having a peek over the fence or any kid's or pets are present while you spray with 2 pac... its very bad for the lungs and the "authoritie's" dont allow backyard spraying of it... but everyone does it anyway. 2 pac is very costly but if done right will come up trump's and it will be hard to tell the difference from a gelcoat once finished... go get em breamy.

Bretty