PDA

View Full Version : Help with my GPS please?

jimmy44
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all. I'm brand new in here but been fishing river and estuary for 40 years. Never thought I would say it but I reckon the Gold Coast Broadwater is about all fished out so I'm about to venture offshore. Have bought radios etc and I have bought a Garmin 178c GPS. I don't think I need all the features it has. The instruction manual is as thick as my Gold Coast phone book . Is there such a thing as an EASY to understand GPS guide ? (or a DVD tutorial ?) I really only want to go out and get back in safely . All answers appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Taroona
04-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Unfortunatley no easy way except RTFM

Spaniard_King
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Jimmy.. best way is to get out and play with it :)

Vindicator
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Jim,

There should be a mark button. To make things simple hit this button when you hit the mouth. Remember what name the gps saves this mark as. When you're outside if you can find the mark you have saved in the menu select it and it should tell you which way back you have to travel. Apart from everything else it can do for you this will get you back home. Once you're out there have a play with it and mark some other spots so that you can get used to it. Geez you could even try renaming the mark you have saved. This probably has confused you even more but the easiest thing to do is get out there and give it a go.

Cheers
Kezza

tunaticer
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Jimmy, Best suggestion I can make here is offer a trip out to someone in the know about the 178c here and let him teach you hands on for all the basics on the water. At worst you will get to know your setup and be confident with it, at best you could have a great day on the water and have a friend for life. I'm sure theres a ton of guys here who know what they are doing and will give you the run down on a fishing trip.

Jack.

jimmy44
06-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Unfortunatley no easy way except RTFM
:D Thanks mate. I just will have to do so but it's a last resort. Thanks anyway

Relaxedcamper
07-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Jimmy44, I have a great book called "GPS Made Easy" by Lawrence Letham, Publisher Rocky Mountain Books Second Edition. It is a great book and walks you through the basic fundamentals of how a GPS works etc. It is targetted at the bushwalker, however the principals and outcomes are both exactly the same. To mark a point in your GPS where you are now, go to another waypoint and then return home safe. The GPS has lots of powerful features and when you have it sorted out, it will be able to tell you how long travel time to a way point, allow you to log favourate points to start drifting, sunrise and sun set, and if you are really interested, long/lat, utm/ups coordinates so you can use charts.

I love this book. I got it a Mountain Designs outdoor shop here in vic.

jimmy44
10-02-2008, 12:59 PM
;D Thanks a million mate. I'll get the book.
Hi Jimmy44, I have a great book called "GPS Made Easy" by Lawrence Letham, Publisher Rocky Mountain Books Second Edition. It is a great book and walks you through the basic fundamentals of how a GPS works etc. It is targetted at the bushwalker, however the principals and outcomes are both exactly the same. To mark a point in your GPS where you are now, go to another waypoint and then return home safe. The GPS has lots of powerful features and when you have it sorted out, it will be able to tell you how long travel time to a way point, allow you to log favourate points to start drifting, sunrise and sun set, and if you are really interested, long/lat, utm/ups coordinates so you can use charts.

I love this book. I got it a Mountain Designs outdoor shop here in vic.