PDA

View Full Version : Plate ally

Saltboy
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi

My first message ! Looking at getting a plate cuddy, 5.5-6.0 metre. Prices are scary. Anybody out there looked at getting plans and materials and building there own ? I this a good option ?

dnej
04-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Better to get a builder to do it to a stage,and you finish it off
David

Vindicator
04-02-2008, 11:29 AM
The prices maybe scary but unless you really know what you're doing you'd be better to save up. The prices are that for a reason when you look at what goes into them and what the materials are worth. Or do what David said.

Cheers
Kezza

TCSunCoast
04-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Saltboy,

I bloke asked this question a while ago on here and my reply was that a mate was going to self build and then worked out he had to do three to recover the costs of jigs etc etc.

I had another get one completed to a stage and then fit out like suggested above, thiswould be the better option in my opinion.

Tony

Cheech
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Thre was a thread in this section about a year ago of someone building their own. Had the plans and plates pre cut to size by a company in Melbourne and transported to him. No jigs needed as I recall. Goes together like a jigsaw puzzle. May take a while, but worth your while scrolling back to find the thread.

cbs
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
If you aren't confident with alloy, you could also consider glass?

megafish71
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
G'day Saltboy, Unless you have all the gear and alot of spare time you would be better off having a boat built to the end of hot work stage (bare ally hull). This is about the most cost effective way to get one built. Most plate boat builders will be happy to build you a boat to that stage. That is what I am doing and reefmaster is also having one built that way. It still leaves you plenty to do in the paint and fit up of the boat. Have you priced any boats that way? Heres the link to my build so far http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=123414
Best of luck with it.

Cheers Ron

Saltboy
04-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks Ron

I really apprecite all the replies. I'd love toget a Fisher Maxi 580 but at aound $24,000.00 for hull only, it's really expensive with a wait of around 10 months anyhow. Has anybody had any experiences with a Formosa ?

shano
02-03-2008, 08:17 PM
i was looking at doing the same thing , as i am in the trade, and do plenty of all mods on boats for the shops and for many ausfishers. the price is quiet good being around the $6500 +gst, for this boat ,The Marine Kit Package includes all of the vessel's structure
aluminium and a comprehensive set of drawings.

http://www.marinekits.com/catalogue.php?id=85

now this was from perth and does not include postage, i also contacted the melbourne place but cant seem to find the email from them! hope this helps!

Stuart
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I have been down this path some time ago with great success. I built a 7.4 meter alloy centre console, 2.55 meter beam, raised deck and so forth. I would first ask you the question wether or not you have a good welder, wether or not you have 20 amps or even three phase power to draw on. Do you have all the grinders, linisher, metal cut off saws, sash clamps, G clamps, good welding helmet, and the space to build such a boat? You will be replacing Argon gas all the time along with alloy wire, both are not cheap. I would say if you have all of the above and you have a bit of nouse about your self then I would say go for it.

Stu

Matt_F
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Just a quick question for Stuart.

I watched with interest through your building process and I am looking at ding the same but with a lot smaller boat. How do the nomad marine boats ride? Is the dead rise angle something worked out through the design process and to the requirements of the customer?

Stuart
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Haven’t actually ridden in the one I built as yet, But I have been in another very similar to the one I built. Incredibly soft ride and hardly any spray come over the side due to massive reverse chines. As for the dead rise, well that can be your choice if you so desire but the rest of the boat will have to be designed to suite the dead rise. My main objective was a very sharp, wave piercing forefoot and the dead rise come out at around 18 degrees. Boat design is really all about compromise as I found out very fast working with the naval architect.

As for the nomad marine kits well all I can say is they are by far the best. I did all my research first before handing over my money. Adam and myself spent close on 3 months going back and forward until I was 100% happy with the set up. I must tell you that a there is no such thing as a kit boat. A kit just pops together like a model plain or boat. Just about all alloy boat builders in Australia are designed this way for ease of assembly and time and cost saving. Having to hand cut large sheets just isn’t cost effective any more.

My boat was a custom design from the ground up so the cost was more. If I were you I would go ahead and build the boat mate you won’t be sorry. Adam is always happy to help you out at any time or stage of the construction.

Stu

rig_dude
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Try CAG Welding & Fabrication on Moonbi street at Brendale. He is a plate boat builder and does some pretty damn nice work.

suzygs1000
06-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Saltboy,

I just put a similar answer to this on another thread.

Forget the hype from people trying to turn you off.
\
I have built two kit boats in the last 6 years. The first one was nothing out of the bag - a very light 6 metre runabout.

My current boat is a 5.8m centre console, and it is a beauty.

Cost of a kit (which includes all the precut plates plus extrusions needed, bollards, hatches etc) for a 6 metre is around 10 grand. Add another grand for wire gas, and other consumables.

Most kits these days are built on the ground - ie you don't need to make jigs.

They are fairly easy to build, and you can't describe the satisfaction you get as it takes shape, and then is launched.

I am a retired public servant, with very little welding experience, but I reckon any reasonably competent home handyman would have little trouble building one.

As far as time goes, my current boat took about 6 months from receipt of kit to launch. I am pretty lazy, and estimate that I put in around 20 hours per week on the job.

Savings are great, as you don't count your labour. My boat owes me $33k complete, and you wouldn't purchase a similar boat for under $55K.

You also don't know how much experience the welders building any alloy boat have.

Insurance is a problem. Neither of mine have been insured.

I say, go for it!!

dave.