PDA

View Full Version : Looking after the boat trailer

TCSunCoast
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Just after peoples opinion of what the best stuff to coat the boat trailer in would be to give it a longer life?
Do you also use bearing buddies or similar?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Roughasguts
03-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Washing your boat trailer is the best thing to do straight after dunking.
But if you can wah it off with hot water that should wash most of the salt off.

Moonlighter
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Tony

I've coated my trailer in Ozspray - a lanolin product. Use the "Indusrty Extra grade, and re-do it once every year. Sticky for a couple of weeks after you spray it, then OK.

Only downside is it's smell (sheep) attracts KIWI's.... still, a whack with a shovel soon gets them away....

7 years old trailer, only rust I've ever had is on a couple of the bolts that hold the roller brackets up. Spray inside the RHS as much as possible.

I'd highly recommend.

Grant

Vindicator
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Gday Tony,

The best stuff that I know of is tectyl. You can get it from repco and costs about $50 for 4 litres which would certainly be enough for one trailer. Its like a waxy coating and water justs beads off it. And yes I've got bearing buddies on my trailer and think they're the ducks ....

Cheers
Kezza

SCOTTYGC
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
i put the tectyl on my trailer and it works great the water just beads off at the ramp and hoses of well at home

i painted the back 3/4s of mine and mixed some with thinners and sprayed it up the channels of the trailer

you can get it from BCF in a tin and paint it on , the 4 liter tin will last you a life time or it comes in a smaller spray can

well worth the effort and smell

cheers
scotty

plaztix
04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
I give mine a generous spray of lanolin in the areas that are most susceptible to corrosion (bolts, springs, axle roller shafts) after every session and give the whole trailer a coat every 6 months or so.