PDA

View Full Version : Sore hands from fishing???

Dean1
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Hi everybody. Im just wondering if anyone else on here suffers from sore hands/fingers after a fishing trip from handling fish etc. My fingers get sore and swollen and red. Sometimes the skin even peels :-[ I have it bad today, went out last nite and handled some nice knobbies to 7.5kg ;) Thanx for any reply's, Deano.

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi everybody. Im just wondering if anyone else on here suffers from sore hands/fingers after a fishing trip from handling fish etc. My fingers get sore and swollen and red. Sometimes the skin even peels :-[ I have it bad today, went out last nite and handled some nice knobbies to 7.5kg ;) Thanx for any reply's, Deano.

You could be allergic to some fish. You should pop down to a local doctor and get some cream. Or the other alternative is buy some gloves and were them when your fishing.

finding_time
03-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Deano

Mate go to the kitchen grab a can opener and open a can of HARDEN-UP;) And go easy on the peppermint hand cream between trips.;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ian

FNQCairns
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Deano some people do get this, I am luck I don't, from memory some have said it it at it's worst if they clean the stomach cavity, there has to be a reason for it though, certainly an immune response/inflamation, doubt science knows the answer above an educated guess.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Most usually it is a person's intolerance to iodine. Some people may be allergic to one species slime and not others also but mostly it is the iodine factor that causes the most problem.

Unfortunately iodine intolerance can be a building problem for some people and over time they can get severely reactive to it. I had a cousin who was a head seafood chef aboard the Fairstar for several years. He grew up catching filleting and eating seafood with no problems. After 5 years aboard the Fairstar he developed an ellergic intolerance to iodine and gave up working as a chef. He would blow up from simply touching seafood of any kind and take days to come right. He ate an appetizer at a party about 8 yrs ago and blew up as it contained tuna in it. He died before they could get the ambulance to him.

Take care with any form of seafood allergy as it is often no where near as bad as it can develop into.

Jack.

Roughasguts
03-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm yep you have an allergy to touching fish, or bait.
Basically contact dermatitis, so don't touch the fish or baits, use lures or use surgical gloves.
Or you can use a towel as well if you need to make sure you don't contact the slime. Cortisone cream will help releive the itching and speed up your recovery.

But do you have any other symptoms like hard to breath swollen eyes sneezing etc. If so you may need to take precautions if you get it real bad with an "epi pen" which will help with anaphalactic shock. The epi pen is adrenalin an initial treatment before the hospital emergency room.

Wahoo
03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Most usually it is a person's intolerance to iodine. Some people may be allergic to one species slime and not others also but mostly it is the iodine factor that causes the most problem.

Unfortunately iodine intolerance can be a building problem for some people and over time they can get severely reactive to it. I had a cousin who was a head seafood chef aboard the Fairstar for several years. He grew up catching filleting and eating seafood with no problems. After 5 years aboard the Fairstar he developed an ellergic intolerance to iodine and gave up working as a chef. He would blow up from simply touching seafood of any kind and take days to come right. He ate an appetizer at a party about 8 yrs ago and blew up as it contained tuna in it. He died before they could get the ambulance to him.

Take care with any form of seafood allergy as it is often no where near as bad as it can develop into.

Jack.

Jack, funny you say that (iodine ) we were only talking about this today, which i really dont understand:-/

a guy asked me how much fish i eat each week, my reply was 5-6 times, and he said that i will get crook with this iodine, is this so?

cheers Daz

Wahoo
03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Ohhh.... Dean, i used to get sore hands, mostly gutting n gilling the fish, i started wearing gloves to do this and all good now

Daz

Horse
03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I get that sort of reaction if fishing for a couple of days. Reef fish seem to be worse. Wash your hands regularly and it will be a lot better

lippa
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
im with ian, dean, have a cup of harden the #### up.
where was my invite to cal. wide last night? (just got ur sms)\,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dean1
03-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys its much appreciated, even Ian ;D I never thought of it to be something serious possibly. Im very sorry to hear about your cousin Jack, thats awful mate. I think its mainly from filleting, ill get me some filleting gloves and go from there. Lippa it was blowing over 15 kts brother i knew youd be too soft to head out. Maybe if you get yourself a cat youd grow some #### :D Thanks again and any other replies would be great. Happy fishing, Dean.

snelly1971
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM

I dont think you would get sore hands from cleaning fish Deano.....Probably sore for trying to hang on in that bloody rough riding cat....

Seriously though...yep...I do get sore hands...but only from crayfish spikes or prickly fish....

Mick

soulfish
04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
I dip my hands in dettol after a big filleting session works a treat.(shit haven't had to do that for a while since the ol 1770 trips)

jason

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2008, 06:54 AM
G'day Deano,

How did she handle with the new wave piercing front on her? ;D

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
04-02-2008, 09:22 AM
strangely enough, I know a guy that has all sorts of skin problem if he uses packet Prawns for Bait, he gets Red and swollen hands and fingers, but there is never any trouble when he uses fresh prawns or other Bait, he was told that they use a chemical to preserve them, that's what causes to problem.

Dantren
04-02-2008, 09:35 AM
hi dean,

Sounds very similar to the reaction I get.

Pillies seem to bring out the worst reaction. I agree with Noel - maybe the preservatives.

Try this - When you finish cleaning up, wash your hands thoroughly with toothpaste.

I reckon it helps quite a bit.

Dan.

FNQCairns
04-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I do doubt it is iodine that is causing the contact dermatis but it is the easy standout. To test when your hand are fully healed, buy the two types of salt (iodised and non) on sale at the supermarket, place a goodly amount of each into a bucket with water then soak one hand in each for 10min or you could purchase a tincture place a drop of this iodine solution onto a hand and rub in, both of these will confirm a problem if there is one.

Systemicly iodine is a known problem, mate of mine who I have eaten/caught lots of crabs/fish/prawns with over many years blow up like a balloon with toxic shock from a radioactive iodine injection and was in a critical condition for a while, today he still eats/touches the same seafood he aways has - the body is a strange place!! Sometimes the rout into the body is what makes all the difference.

cheers fnq

Noelm
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM
just to add to the preservative thing, the same guy says when he eats Imported Prawns (from Thailand) that it feels like boiling water in his Stomach and his Throat burns when eating them, he cannot peel them because of the swelling/discomfort so I guess it is/could be some sort of "stuff" they put on them, but he has no problem at all with our local Prawns, funny huh!

FNQCairns
04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
just to add to the preservative thing, the same guy says when he eats Imported Prawns (from Thailand) that it feels like boiling water in his Stomach and his Throat burns when eating them, he cannot peel them because of the swelling/discomfort so I guess it is/could be some sort of "stuff" they put on them, but he has no problem at all with our local Prawns, funny huh!

How does your mate go eating dried fruit?? or salami/savs/sausages? They are all high in the same cost effective preservative but if I had to make a guess what the cause would be for a contact dermatitis with seafood I would go with one of the proteins produced by the fish to protect it's self against infection, this protein/chemicle may be mirrored artificially in the overstocked and potentially disease ridden taiwanese prawn ponds with lot's of antibiotics of the same class added to control these diseases.

Just a thought.

cheers fnq

Dan5
04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Just about all the prawns you get in australia that come off larger trawler's will have preservative added " meta sulhpide " is applied to stop black spot.When i worked on a trawler years ago some people would have an allergic reaction to it,things like redness of skin and swelling ecpecially around the eye's.It's pretty nasty stuff,it would be added to the dip tank at the end of the conveyer.Also Dean1 if using squid for bait sometime you can get "squid burn" it's either something in the flesh or in the slime of the squid,when we trolled big shot's of squid and i mean a couple of tonne's we would get a acidic burning feeling on hand's and arm's or whatever contacted it. Dan.............

TCSunCoast
04-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Dean1,

To follow on the Iodine track; my old man was allergic to seafood until he was about 40ish and then he grew out of it (or increased his rum intake???) I have been told that iodine is stronger in reef fish and not so stong in whiting etc. My old man would catch reefies all day long and then trade them for whiting, go figure????????????

Best of luck with it.

FNQCairns
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Just about all the prawns you get in australia that come off larger trawler's will have preservetive added " meta sulhpide " is applied to stop black spot.When i worked on a trawler years ago some people would have an allergic reaction to it,things like redness of skin and swelling ecpecially around the eye's.It's pretty nasty stuff,it would be added to the dip tank at the end of the conveyer.Also Dean1 if using squid for bait sometime you can get "squid burn" it's either something in the flesh or in the slime of the squid,when we trolled big shot's of squid and i mean a couple of tonne's we would get a acidic burning feeling on hand's and arm's or whatever contacted it. Dan.............

That's horrible news Dan! one of my favourite past times is all you can eat seafood buffets, we try to ensure that sulfate preservatives play a very very small roll in the foods our family eats but I never considered that 'fresh' Ozi ocean prawns would be full of it...a right shocker!>:( I would happily eat the black spotted prawns if given the choice.

cheers fnq

Dan5
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah it suprised me when i started working on the trawler's.Honestly Banana prawn's can sit in the sorting tray for hour's only under shade cloth for protection from 35deg heat until sorted when you get large shot's at the start of the season like 1-2 tonne's.Tiger prawn's are the one's that are generally the freshest as you tend to only get smaller shot's like 2-3 hundred kg's at a time so they are processed alot quicker usally within 30 min's,the problem is the japanese market's will generally buy before caught and pay top $$$ for the product.We caught leeder prawns 'Black Monodon' in the try gear and kept them live in a holding tank and they were exported live to japan for around $60 each in 1997.Dan...

Smithy
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I was typing a long reply and AF ate it again so here goes in the quick version.

Yes I suffer from it and yes it is common problem. Well known about in Cairns Marlin deckie and Swains deckie circles. My flatmate has done both. He used to mix up a bucket of hot water as hot as you can stand and ad some Detol then soak your hands in that for a while. Me, I just have tubes of Savlon stashed everywhere and everytime I see a nick or cut I hit my hands a few times a day. That has saved me on my big stint trips like Cooktown for 5 weeks straight in '06, Fraser for 2 weeks in '06, Port Stephens for 2 weeks straight in '07, the Fraser Expo '07 and now professionally. Obviously the tropics are worse and infection festers much quicker. I think that is what it is all to do with, little infections all over your hands. I can't see it being anything to do with all this Iodine and stuff that people are talking about. It is so easy to get little nicks from handling fish and getting spiked by the dorsal spines or whatever, cutting up bait, gilling and gutting and getting hit by the gillrakers or whatever and pulling anchor ropes in etc. One thing that happend to us the other day were the Snapper were pooing or spewing up coral, shellfish, fish skeletons etc. then we were accidently standing on that matter which stung a bit.

And on Iodine the Whiting at Hervey Bay get it that bad some times the odd one is nearly inedible and you can certainly smell it on them from time to time. Obviously Baldy Bream/Iodine Bream are the worst carriers of it but some people do eat them if they don't have the smell then I would say Spangled Emperor/Yellow Sweetlip would be the next worst offenders from say Wide Bay Bar north.

kingtin
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Never any trouble with fish of any sort and I handle some weird vermin ;D

It's the crabbing that does me. 3 days at the Pin and by day 3 I can't shell a crab and sometimes it's even a struggle to drive back to the ramp. If I handle a lot of prawns when cast netting, the same thing happens so I wouldn't automatically put it down to preservative, but something that occurs in the prawn naturally. Dettol sorts it when I get home but being a big believer in some smelly stuff putting the fish off, I prefer to leave the stuff at home and suffer in silence when fishing/camping.

kev

hungry6
04-02-2008, 04:26 PM
If I was having those sort of reaction to anything, I would be travel with a packet of antihistamine, better still a Epipen. we always carry one just incase someone. cheap insurance for friends and family.

Dean1
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Mmmm lots of interesting replies here. Thanks for the tips. Smithy i can relate to what your saying, ive taken your advice and rubbed in some savlon. The dettol method has crossed my mind before. Strangely enough i dont get it every trip, but I dont catch loads of fish every trip either but always handle pillies/squid. My hands were more swollen today, really throbbing, made it hard to tighten up a keyless chuck Oouch! Pete my boat is thumping now, ducking and weaving everywhere, what have u done? I'll drop that cash around when i get the chance mate I didnt eat fish tonight cause i was concerned about the iodine factor, i dont get any other reaction whatsoever but occassionly the skin on my fingers peel. Anyone else get that?? My workmate does and he fishes 3 times a week. Cheers Deano.

kingtin
04-02-2008, 08:36 PM
i dont get any other reaction whatsoever but occassionly the skin on my fingers peel. Anyone else get that?? My workmate does and he fishes 3 times a week. Cheers Deano.

Yep, after peeling prawns. It only happens though, when I don't get the other reaction of sore hands.

kev

Wooly
04-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Dean

Yep I get to too, have done all my fishing life. Not from spikes or cuts just sore red hads hands and realy sensitive to hot water, particularly the next day and they will start to peel almost to a day 2 weeks after each trip.

But I have a differnt theory.....Osmosis!! Those that know about osmosis will know that osmosis can be described as the transfer of fluids through a semi-permiable membraine (skin) to a soulution of higher concentration (say salt water) from that of a lower concentration (say body moisture).

In other words if you are anything like me and you can't resist the need to spend half the day leaning over the side to wash crap of your hands, you will be continually wetting and drying your hands leaving residue of salt every where. Not normally a problem i.e. you don'e get red from swimming in salt water. But add the salt to the continual contact and rubbing with the rod grip and reel handle, then the problem presents.

To test my theory, try stop washing your hands over the side in salt water use a rag and/or fresh water instead. Stops my hands from getting sore. But for the most of it I just put up with it. Must be all the cans of %$#%$# up that I have opened over the years.

Yeah I know, most of you are thinkin what a load of crap....but I bet I got a couple of you thinking!!

cheers

NQBoyes
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
best thing to do (or so i've been told) is when in the shower after a trip take a little pee onto your hands and rub it all over you hands and will fix the problem. Let everyone know how you go!

trueblue
05-02-2008, 06:04 PM
get yourself some industrial strength barrier cream. That will sort it out

cheers

Mick

Dignity
05-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Dean, give me a call and I will meet you at the ramp and take the fish off your hands.

I find that my hands can get a bit irritated but I use a pair of disposable gloves inside those cloth prawing or fishing gloves and don't have a problem.

sam

charleville
05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
he was told that they use a chemical to preserve them, that's what causes to problem.

I knew a guy who was a regional manager for Woolies four or five years ago with a dozen stores under him in Sydney and he told me that when he was there they used to spray vinegar on tired prawns to keep them marketable a bit longer. I had the feeling that he was talking about cooked prawns but I cannot remember for sure.

He always said to me to not buy prawns from Woolies because of the effort that they will go to to keep them marketable beyond when maybe they should be.

If all of that is true, one might imagine that handling prawns that have been sprayed with vinegar or whatever may not be good for tender hands. I know that my hands always sting after shelling bought prawns. You would not taste the vinegar or other additives because they would only be on the external shells of course, not the interior flesh.

Dignity
08-02-2008, 09:46 PM
If all of that is true, one might imagine that handling prawns that have been sprayed with vinegar or whatever may not be good for tender hands. I know that my hands always sting after shelling bought prawns. You would not taste the vinegar or other additives because they would only be on the external shells of course, not the interior flesh.

Not so sure of that. I do like my prawns a little salty and do a taste test before I put them in the fridge before serving. If not enough I put the prawns in a large bowl (those plastic ones for camping are about right) sprinkle some rock salt on them then liberally cover the lot with party ice. Give them a couple of hours and they definately have that nice new salty flavour so I would imagine vinegar would also be tasted and also the odour would still be there. I think the metabisulphate theory is probably the right one - good stuff when doing home brew.

BigE
10-02-2008, 07:55 PM
trip to the doc might be in order ........ doc can you keep the swelling but relieve the pain?

BigE

HIGH and DRY
10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
and here i was thinking i was the only one!!!! ::)

my missus laughs at me when i tell her my hands are throbbing and bright red, but it sure does get uncomfortable and irritating. i notice it more when im in the bay using pilly's and herring for bait, and some days are worse than others. for a long time now ive been blaming some of the adhesives we use at work, but i have recently narrowed it down to the fishing.

I have a pair of lycra type fishing gloves, but rarely use them for fear of looking like a sissy and getting verbally sprayed by the missus!!! maybe ill stick her hands on the BBQ and she can see what it feels like:P :P

pete

ps: some very handy replies above. i will give some a go me thinks;)

Dean1
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
and here i was thinking i was the only one!!!! ::)

my missus laughs at me when i tell her my hands are throbbing and bright red, but it sure does get uncomfortable and irritating. i notice it more when im in the bay using pilly's and herring for bait, and some days are worse than others. for a long time now ive been blaming some of the adhesives we use at work, but i have recently narrowed it down to the fishing.

I have a pair of lycra type fishing gloves, but rarely use them for fear of looking like a sissy and getting verbally sprayed by the missus!!! maybe ill stick her hands on the BBQ and she can see what it feels like:P :P

pete

ps: some very handy replies above. i will give some a go me thinks;) Yeah mate i didnt want to sound like a pansie putting on this thread but i got it bad last w'end. I bought a fillet glove and used it today. I try not to handle the fish as much now, use a rag, pliers etc.

Outer Edge
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Deno,

Mate nothing to worry about , it just means you are fishing hard .....We have a theiry ... If you come home from a day or three fishing and your hands are not sore and all busted up .... you simply did not fish hard enough and you would cop a bashing to make up for it ...........and if had a winge about your hands being sore you would get a bashing ..........No serously mate , can remember the last time i hav nt come back from a fishing trip and almost could nt close them ...

Have a think about it ??? Fishing your using your hands and fingers ......not your toes....

OE.

gleeeza
01-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah what a crappy feeling that is, and how much sympathy do you get from she who must be........?

I like the osmosis theory and absolutely agree with the stomach acid from bait and cleaning concept but the one that interests me the most is the Iodine allergy.

I have never and will never eat most weed eating fish because of their smell, which the old man describes as "that poxy iodine smell". If this is indeed a factor then it would explain a lot.

I subscribe to keeping your hands dry and limiting contact with fish generally, and I am keen to give the freshwater dipping a go as I cant stand gloves and still like my bait......

A mate of mine who is an ex pro steered me into buying 5kg frozen headless prawns just to keep that crap out of our diet(Meta Disulphate), it really is grim stuff.

hoodunnit
01-03-2008, 11:28 PM
When I get home from a trip I wash my hands in hot water and Dettol, apply some of grandma,s hand cream and wipe off the excess with my skirt.

pilchardjones
02-03-2008, 12:04 PM
i believe there are 2 issues being talked about. i unfortunately suffer from both, and have done for all my fishing life.

1. red and sore hands from cuts and nicks. i am fine on day trips or overnight trips, but suffer from it on week long fishing trips on the GBR. i think its from the little cuts getting infected in the festering tropical environment handling fish and slime. exactly as smithy said i have found you need to rub in antiseptic cream and the problem is significantly minimised for me. my father in law has done charters on the GBR for 30 years and he never goes without his antiseptic mixture for that exact reason. after a week sometimes you can hardly open your hands.

2. peeling fingers. i have never been able to figure it out but sometimes my fingers peel a couple of weeks after an offshore trip. my brother is the same. he thinks it is related to constant wetting and drying in salt water as has already been raised here. i am yet to test the theory but will try it next trip. i know with a day reef fishing i must lean over the side of the boat and wash my hands a couple of hundred times i guess. after every bait up. the rag might be a good idea.

steve

Dean1
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
OE i reckon those winches would get a bit tiring. Try going back to rods ;D Just worries me a bit as there getting more sensitive lately, wont stop me fishing in the slightest but. I have withdrawls after a week cant imagin how youd feel :o Pilchardjones its about 10 days and the blisters form and off coms the skin again, wet rag i think for sure. Im quizzing the doc about it anyway see what he says. Its pretty annoying but all worth it. Cheers Guys.

Dignity
03-03-2008, 06:30 PM
In a previous thread I mentioned this stuff sold at flea markets to stop hands from smelling afterwards. I use it occasionally after the fact but wonder whether if used before the event it would stop a lot of the problems associated with handling bait. I usually avoid trying to handle anything that might put fish off eg onions - leave a smell on muy hands for days.

Greg P
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Dean - you need some new deckie rules mate - capt should not be baiting hooks or filleting fish --- c'mon

Dean1
03-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Dean - you need some new deckie rules mate - capt should not be baiting hooks or filleting fish --- c'mon Hey nice 1 greg, you can come fishing on my boat anytime :D I seem to do the most, hard enough tryin to get the boys to get more bait outa the esky >:( Do you think cool cat or cool cat 11?

Jackinthebox
04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Deano,

I have had probs with my hands and fishing for years.

Used to be a dish pig in a hotel years & years ago and would get severe dermatitis just from damp hands in the gloves. Quite a few blokes would get it. The water seems to soften the skin and swell it up and with the constant irritation of manual use, it starts to fall off. Goes red raw and starts to crack in the folds. Then bleeds if you keep working. Used to have to use surgi gloves with dry powder inside and change over 4 or 5 times a shift just to keep them dry.

Was ok after i left this job but then it came back after years of welding in Tig gloves. Used to have to bandage up my fingers as the skin would get so thin & red raw. I reckon the chemicals used to treat these particular gloves certainly made it worse as your skin would go yellow afterwards.

One session out in the boat & a couple of weeks of care would be undone.
I think there's something in that osmosis theory with the salt water drying & rewetting. Freshwater seems to help.

PS - it would always be much worse if using pillies, etc. The juice seems to be acidic or something.

Mick.

Dignity
07-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey nice 1 greg, you can come fishing on my boat anytime :D I seem to do the most, hard enough tryin to get the boys to get more bait outa the esky >:( Do you think cool cat or cool cat 11?
and get them to take fish out of the kill/bleeding tank and put them on ice, grab a rag and just clean the gunwales etc occasionally, stop putting the bait knife in with thall the blood and muck on the bait table but in the holder that is specially designed for it etc. I'm not picky but I do have 1 crew memeber who looks ugly, dresses and talks the same but is one of the best crews I've had, pity he can't come with me all the time.

Dean1
07-03-2008, 07:49 PM
and get them to take fish out of the kill/bleeding tank and put them on ice, grab a rag and just clean the gunwales etc occasionally, stop putting the bait knife in with thall the blood and muck on the bait table but in the holder that is specially designed for it etc. I'm not picky but I do have 1 crew memeber who looks ugly, dresses and talks the same but is one of the best crews I've had, pity he can't come with me all the time. Mate thats gr8 advice i know what your saying. Good crew are pricless they are always the 1st to be asked to go. I like taking people who have had or have their own boat especially coz they know what is involved and with costs etc. Would be gr8 if they ran a wet rag ova the gunwales etc. saves me being the only one. :thumbsup:

SunnyCoastMark
07-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Hey Guys,
I don't have a problem with my hands - although they do get a slight burning sensation after a long session fishing.
My problem lies wih prawns and crabs:(

Uesd to live one street back from the beach just north of Cairns and we used to cast net up a good feed of fresh prawns at least once a week - plus used to use them for bait all the time............NOW - I can't even touch them - eyes water - throat swells up Crab makes me act like I'm tripping - even wound up in hospital once from eating crab and they told me next time I could die!:( . Apparently some sort of toxin had built up in my system and poisoned me

With the prawns - I have found that Polaramine (an anti-histamine) works really well.

Pillies just make my hands stink and it is embarrasing when you stop by maccas for a feed on the way home and the kid behind the counter screws up their nose.

Regards,
Mark

Dignity
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Mark, try Elizas hand scrub, you can pick it up fro Caloundra Bullcock St markets on Sunday or at Eumundi markets. Not cheap although the major component is rock salt. PM me and I wll let you have a go at some, works well and leaves the hands soft anf non smelly even after washing. Lemon rubbed on the hands is also supposed to get rid of the smell although I find the next day the hands still have an odour.

Legend82
20-06-2008, 05:50 PM
sorry dean i don't know if this thread is still going but i have the same problem as you
im only 16, i have fished my hole life but this problem has only occurred in the last 12 months
after fishing my hands will swell, turn bright red and peel, then a day later they can become so dry that they crack and on bad days bleed
im not 100% sure if mine is from fishing as my skin will stay the same for months even if i havnt been out
i was a dish pig for a little while and thats where it started off, i washed without gloves for a while (pink gloves wasnt my color), im not shure what did it, probably the detergent, it was as if the layers of skin were stripped off, i tried gloves and it didnt improve so i quit
i have been to the gp as well as the skin specialist, they both recommended things but my condition remains the same.
my next door neighbor has the same problem but nowhere near as bad as mine, he says his is from bait, mostly pillies, i cannot give up fishing, i would rather my hands b a mess, as i love fishing too much as probably most people here do
its just a pain when it hurts gripping your rod and pulling up the anchor (anchor isnt too bad, as the old man has that job now)
i have no advice for you but just wanted to say thanks 4 posting this as i will give some of the guys methods ago
cheers jb

soggy1
20-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey there Dean this may sound funny but anyway back in the 70's my dad had a rec net fishing lis as a aresul the used to be out every weekend fishing and the same thing happend his hands would be red and then they would peel the doctors didn't know what it was from and as he was a mechanic they thought it was from the oil and put him off on compo hence having more time to fish however his hands didn't get any better until the docs sent him back to work and told him to stop fishing for while prob fixed.now he still goes fishing just washes his hands with sapoderm cream during & after his trips seems to do the job.

Dean1
21-06-2008, 07:14 PM
sorry dean i don't know if this thread is still going but i have the same problem as you
im only 16, i have fished my hole life but this problem has only occurred in the last 12 months
after fishing my hands will swell, turn bright red and peel, then a day later they can become so dry that they crack and on bad days bleed
im not 100% sure if mine is from fishing as my skin will stay the same for months even if i havnt been out
i was a dish pig for a little while and thats where it started off, i washed without gloves for a while (pink gloves wasnt my color), im not shure what did it, probably the detergent, it was as if the layers of skin were stripped off, i tried gloves and it didnt improve so i quit
i have been to the gp as well as the skin specialist, they both recommended things but my condition remains the same.
my next door neighbor has the same problem but nowhere near as bad as mine, he says his is from bait, mostly pillies, i cannot give up fishing, i would rather my hands b a mess, as i love fishing too much as probably most people here do
its just a pain when it hurts gripping your rod and pulling up the anchor (anchor isnt too bad, as the old man has that job now)
i have no advice for you but just wanted to say thanks 4 posting this as i will give some of the guys methods ago
cheers jb Hey jb havent seen this thread for a while. Mate I can see where your coming from. Like you say I love my fishing as well and i will never slow up in the slighest coz of the sore hands drama. Ive been out the last two fridays and havent had anywhere near as bad reaction. Im trying harder not to handle the fish as much, im using rags and pliers more, and not getting them as wet from the salt water etc. When they peel it takes ages to go away bloody annoying, i use moisturising creams and a cream called 'clonea' is very good i highly recomend it. Try these tips and i think youll find it not so intense. Good luck with it, tight lines, Deano.

supa29
21-06-2008, 08:17 PM
deano just read your thread and you would have to be the biggest sook i agree with early replies just suck it up and harden you you girly man. but seriously flathead can do that to you and it hurts like hell.

Mate the best thing for sore hands is a really oily moisturiser ask your misses to buy you one, i get really get bad hands at fraser island from tailor and i use a moisturisor but it has to be real oily and thick hope this helps and you got to harden up little man if you want to play with the big boys............

lippa
22-06-2008, 05:29 AM
after a trip to the banks in a mono hull,
deans pride is shatterd, he didnt the chance for sore hands,
he the 5.2kc man himself was out fished, by a women!!!!!!!!!!

nah your right dean!

u can be a passanger anytime!

maybe time for a tea spoon of CEEEEEEment?
(weekend warrior heap a shit!)
cheers

lippa

Bros
22-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Systemicly iodine is a known problem, mate of mine who I have eaten/caught lots of crabs/fish/prawns with over many years blow up like a balloon with toxic shock from a radioactive iodine injection and was in a critical condition for a while, today he still eats/touches the same seafood he aways has - the body is a strange place!! Sometimes the rout into the body is what makes all the difference.

cheers fnq
I was amazed to read this as I had never heard of Iodine allergy but from a bit of Googling it is correct but a very rare condition and is not in any way connected with seafood and shellfish.

Some years ago I had an allergic reaction to crab but I ate a lot of it. My reaction was swelling of the ankles and an incredible itch of my legs so much so I had to get an injection. Since then I have limited the amount of shellfish I eat but I can eat fish fillets no problem in fact when we were reef fishing we regularly ate baldy bream.
So it appears that people can be allergic to fish and shellfish but it is not iodine allergy just an allergy like peanuts to some people.

There now seems to be problem with people causing thyroid problems by not consuming enough iodine. The reccommendation I have seen is not to use non idonised salt

So for the original question sore hands are normal from fishing as your hands are wet and soft you get fish spikes in your hands. I used to have tender hands for a week after 3 or 4 days reef fishing and when filleting and cutting up bait I used to wear a chain maille glove..

supa29
22-06-2008, 11:33 AM

nah your right dean!

cheers

lippa

lippa i am a great believer in giving a bloke a fair go but deano just isnt that man, outside he just needs a bit more educating but take him flathead fishing and he is the master blaster. i think i will have to go out in his kitty kat and give him a few pointers cause it sounds that he is desperate if he is gettin beaten by a lady,8-) man he is in bad shape. supa.

Dean1
22-06-2008, 12:41 PM

nah your right dean!

cheers

lippa Hey Lippa, i sorta always wondered why you take your missus fishing when you go. Now I know why!!!!!! To make sure you come home with a feed!!!! Ame's killed it, I just wasnt used to trying and keep my balance in a rocky rolly mono... Lucky it was glassed out!!!! ;D ;D Good to see you didnt panic and turn around half way out to the banks, your'e getting better!!

Dean1
22-06-2008, 12:46 PM
lippa i am a great believer in giving a bloke a fair go but deano just isnt that man, outside he just needs a bit more educating but take him flathead fishing and he is the master blaster. i think i will have to go out in his kitty kat and give him a few pointers cause it sounds that he is desperate if he is gettin beaten by a lady,8-) man he is in bad shape. supa. Gee Kel dont give lippa any amo, the lad has a short memory ;D Id hate to have to dig up events the past :P Bloody ally boys ::)