PDA

View Full Version : Are there any alternatives to marine ply

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Hello,
just want to know are there any cheaper alternatives to marine ply that would so a young blokes budget??

BaitThrower
03-02-2008, 06:04 PM
For what use mate?

I have used regular 12mm exterior ply for my boats battery box, box seat and anchor light fitment. I coated them all in a good marine spar varnish (Feast and Watson brand is the best) and no problems so far.

If its for submersed conditions, you might need the proper stuff :)

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Im thinking of building a small casting deck at the front of my boat as i am only 15 marine ply doesnt come to cheap :D

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Breambuster, i fitted out my whole tinny with 12mm structual ply and sealed it with bondall marine sealer. Worked a treat. I came across the same problem as you. Marine ply is so pricey when you can get just as good as product for half the price and a little elbow grease.

Cheers
Crazy

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Breambuster, i fitted out my whole tinny with 12mm structual ply and sealed it with bondall marine sealer. Worked a treat. I came across the same problem as you. Marine ply is so pricey when you can get just as good as product for half the price and a little elbow grease.

Cheers
Crazy

Got any spare, nah only joking sounds like a good idea, Thanks for the advice. How much did it cost you to fit out your boat?

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Hahaha how scary. Im 15 to. you must have posted your post just before mine. That is the exact reason why i went Structual. Just make sure you seal it. Theres a pic of the fitout i did on my tinny (floor, casting deck ect). Since then ive added a sounder and casting nets and yabby pump all clipped in to there spots.

Cheers
Crazy

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
The fitout all up cost about $1000 roughly. Thats including sounder and all little bits and pieces. Floor and casting platform only i was probably set back around $400 roughly.

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
What sort of boat do you have? I can remember the saving stage. i hated it so much. But i eventually got there and im so happy i didnt go spend all my money on nothing.

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I have already got sounder carpet etc, I just need to build a casting platform to make me satisfied. Its good to see theres other kids my age dedicated to fishing i started to think i was the only one lol till coming on this great site. How much did the wood cost you. Your boat looks like it has turned out a dream, what size motor do you have on the back of it?

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
What sort of boat do you have? I can remember the saving stage. i hated it so much. But i eventually got there and im so happy i didnt go spend all my money on nothing.
i have a 3.2m fiberglass dinghy i have ran through a few problems which is i cannot seam to find a cheap enough motor anywhere :D

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Oh ok. yeh a sounder makes a huge difference. i use the platform so much but i also made it hinged for under floor storage. Hahah yeh i know i cant talk about it at school everyone just looks at me weird. lol. I was actually fortunate enough to have Scott (Finga) give me some timber for free. I cant remember what the wood costs but i do no for sure its a hell of a lot cheaper than Marine ply. Yeh im really happy with it. it has a new 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke on it. Flies with it on. If you want some good ideas and to see how i did mine this is the link for the thread i did while fitting my tinny out. Have a read. there is some useful stuff in there.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=113652&highlight=fitting+out+my+first+tinny

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
[quote=crazboutfishin;758727]Oh ok. yeh a sounder makes a huge difference. i use the platform so much but i also made it hinged for under floor storage. Hahah yeh i know i cant talk about it at school everyone just looks at me weird. lol. I was actually fortunate enough to have Scott (Finga) give me some timber for free. I cant remember what the wood costs but i do no for sure its a hell of a lot cheaper than Marine ply. Yeh im really happy with it. it has a new 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke on it. Flies with it on. If you want some good ideas and to see how i did mine this is the link for the thread i did while fitting my tinny out. Have a read. there is some useful stuff in there.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=113652&highlight=fitting+out+my+first+tinny[/
Some people should give it a go maybe they will find out how fun it can be. Jeeze lucky you i think ill have to go down to the local bunnings lol

Chris Ryan
03-02-2008, 06:27 PM
It makes such a refreshing change to hear young fella's like you getting involved in fishing & boating so early. Wish I had.

There is hope in the world with kids like this, rather than the PS, X-360 generation of couch potatoes.

Chris

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeh i know. i think i scare a few people at school cause once i start talking about fishing i cant stop. lol. yeh i was really fortunate for that. Yeh bunnings would be the go. i work at bunnings actually. thats where i got the money for the tinny! lol. Which bunnings do you go to?

Chris im probably the only kid who doesnt like x-box's and those things. i get to bored! lol.

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Dont worry your not the only one i have never had a console in my life. The closest one to me is located in victoria point.

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 06:40 PM
haha yeh i know what you mean. i dont see what other kids see in em. Oh ok so your a fair way away. i was going to say if you could make a trip to stafford bunnings i could get you a discount.

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
thanks for the offer but it is probably to far haha,
i just finished reading your thread your boat is so awesome now i have a goal to acheive lol

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
no worries. the offer is there if you ever need a discount. thanks, im happy with how it turned out. time to start saving for a bigger boat! lol
blake

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Your so lucky lol, Your like a charity bin with all these things people are donating to you, can i just say i wish i was you lol

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Another thing i need is a new sounder or connections. i did have a garmin fishfinder 120 but i left my boat outside after a trip and my dog chewed the sensor and the wiring. so i am in need of a new sounder lol

charleville
03-02-2008, 07:28 PM
I have just been through a similar exercise in replacing part of my carpeted plywood floor in my boat and I used structural ply based on advice from the internet.

There are a couple of sites that explain that marine ply is not needed for other than surfaces that are hitting the water and suffering the stresses of thumping water pressure and potential water penetration. That means that those surfaces need to have perfect integrity in the veneers - ie no cracks, surface imperfections etc. All other uses on a boat are perfectly well met by the use of structural ply. Have a look at these websites ...

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/flash/home.asp
Go to their products page and click on their item "The Myth about Marine Ply"

Also, this article offers a little info ...
http://www.marinewatch.info/library/plywood.html

Marine ply is necessary on the outside of a boat where it meets the water because the surface veneer on the ply is as close to flawless as they can get it and therefore should not peel off under constant stressing by external water. The glues are all the same.

The difference in price is enormous. A sheet of structural plywood that would be suitable for boat flooring = $62.20
A sheet of the same size in Marine ply = $132

Also, don't forget that if you want to buy a sheet of ply from Bunnings and you don't have a trailer, they will lend you one for up to two hours to take the stuff home. That is what I did a couple of weeks ago. No hassles at all.

The important thing with any ply used for a floor is to seal it properly on the edges in particular. If you search on past threads on this topic on Ausfish, you will find several which give heaps of advice on sealants but one that I took was to seal the ply with a few coats of diluted (1:3) Bondcrete on the edges and the topside. It is important to leave the underside unsealed so that the ply can dry out after being wet. The advice is also that fresh water is no good for ply but salt water is so it seems to be a bad thing to hose out your boat with fresh water after each trip as I did for years.

This was my little effort a couple of weeks ago ...

http://img.skitch.com/20080203-ebyjtx3sakpsf1qhpurpway8fh.jpg

Keechie
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
hi i am 14 and looking to set my boat up for more of a bream fishing layout but because i went halves with my dad he has a decision to and he wants to leave it maybe this time he is away i should pick up a few things;D ;D ;D by the way i would go fishing anyday then play an xbox.

regards,
keechie

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
hi i am 14 and looking to set my boat up for more of a bream fishing layout but because i went halves with my dad he has a decision to and he wants to leave it maybe this time he is away i should pick up a few things;D ;D ;D by the way i would go fishing anyday then play an xbox.

regards,
keechie

thats good to see,
what sort of boat did you buy and what sort of layout are you thinking off

crazboutfishin
03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
hahhahah wouldnt know about a charity bin. lol. just fortunate. lol. i have a garmin 120 and it works a treat. ahha luckily my dogs gone through the chewing stage. and ofcourse the boats in the shed protected from any unwanted canines. lol. hahah it looks like we've attracted some more young people to this thread. good to see you hate games aswell Keechie. one thing you have to do when fitting out keechie is be innovative and think smart. try and find little knooks and crannies for things as they are only small boats and you need all the room possible. try and find places for as many things as possible (ie: clipping oars to the rear of the seat, clipping yabby pump and net to side of boat and having allocated spots for eskies, tackle boxes ect so no space becomes cluttered.)

cheers
Crazy

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
i finally begged mum to letting me put it in the garage but unfortunantly it is after. those fishfinders are great if you ever want to get rid of urs ill buy the cords lol

poundalead
03-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey fellas go to any big construction site in Brisbane and ask for the head formworker. Then ask him for a donation of any offcuts of marine ply. Its worth a try ;)

Keechie
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
thats good to see,
what sort of boat did you buy and what sort of layout are you thinking off
i have got a 3.9m stacer with a 30hp on the back i know i can't drive it yet but when i get a licence i am gone every weekend. the boat is a front console but i am planning on pulling that out and building a casting deck there and making into a side console and plumbing a livewell and adding a sounder and creating places for storage, its still on my drawing boards but will have it figured out soon.

regards,
keechie

Breambuster33
03-02-2008, 08:48 PM
i have got a 3.9m stacer with a 30hp on the back i know i can't drive it yet but when i get a licence i am gone every weekend. the boat is a front console but i am planning on pulling that out and building a casting deck there and making into a side console and plumbing a livewell and adding a sounder and creating places for storage, its still on my drawing boards but will have it figured out soon.

regards,
keechie

good to see you have some good plans there.
you might aswell get a tiller steer and get rid of a console lol sounds good if it ever happens id love to here the progress
cheers

mowerman
03-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Breambuster.

When I bought the Haines the bloke thru in a flush tank made out of 19mm ply inside coated with glass.

Too heavy to move so I pulled it apart and used 1 piece to make an underseat box.

Ive got 2 pieces left you can have if you want them.
Each 1 about 900mm by 600mm. Will need a bit of cleaning up but if you can use them give me a ring toomorrow.

I get down to Vicki point once a week to mow lawns(when it stops bloody raining) so I can drop them off if you want them.

Trade you for a couple of bream spots down that way.

Rod.
0427 481321

kitch76
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
2400 x 1200 12mm structual ply $42/sheet @bunnings, come on crazy u should have known that, it was in the last cattledog.

It is important to leave the underside unsealed so that the ply can dry out after being wet.
I dont entirly agree with this Charlieville If it is sealed properly it shouldn't be getting wet therefore no need to leave the underside unsealed

charleville
04-02-2008, 12:07 AM
I dont entirly agree with this Charlieville If it is sealed properly it shouldn't be getting wet therefore no need to leave the underside unsealed

Ah - I am no expert - I just take the advice of experts. The following sentiment is one I have read in several references ....

http://img.skitch.com/20080203-nj461j3tuiypk4s43st7i5544c.jpg

Reference: http://www.marinewatch.info/library/plywood.html#MPHints

:)

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Keechie that thing would fly!

i know i know! i should have known it. But there is alot of stuff in bunnings mick! lol. ;D

See breamuster, you alreeady have people offering you things! you will be amazed at the generosity on this site.

Cheers
Crazy

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi Breambuster.

When I bought the Haines the bloke thru in a flush tank made out of 19mm ply inside coated with glass.

Too heavy to move so I pulled it apart and used 1 piece to make an underseat box.

Ive got 2 pieces left you can have if you want them.
Each 1 about 900mm by 600mm. Will need a bit of cleaning up but if you can use them give me a ring toomorrow.

I get down to Vicki point once a week to mow lawns(when it stops bloody raining) so I can drop them off if you want them.

Trade you for a couple of bream spots down that way.

Rod.
0427 481321

Hey rod,
I would love those sheets of ply its good to see theres some good people out that are kind and generous::) . Could you tell me how thick the sheets of ply are?
i can pm you with my details
cheers

BM
04-02-2008, 07:21 AM
In the old days floors were left unsealed underneath and this is the cause of the timber rotting. The humid environment in the hull of the boat doesn't give the timber a chance to dry out.

These days, boat builders who are doing the job properly glass both sides of a floor. Then to further safeguard a floor, pads are glassed in for the seats to be screwed into. That way, the helm seats only screw into the timber pad and if that timber were to rot it can be relatively easily replaced without the new floor timber ever being compromised.

Cheers

Crestcutter
04-02-2008, 07:43 AM
I agree with BM, my haines had a bad floor in it due to the underside not being glassed or even coated in resin.This caused major soft spots in the floor.

Castaway
04-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Hey Breambuster, I just bought an 8ft x 4ft sheet of 15mm exterior ply from a local kitchen panel supply shop (Townsville) for $40. It is now cut in pieces ready to go into my boat as a casting deck/storage.
For the sake of a few phone calls ring a few up and see if they have anything similar or have any off cuts they might be able to sell.
Alternatively go in and see them and ask for off cutts or packing sheets - most adults area happy to help out decent young fellas with good intentions.
I know what it's like to be on a budget as I have a wife, three kids and a mortgage - when looking for fishing stuff always consider other alternatives. My 10 yr old daughter just bought a plastic tool box from K-mart which she uses as a tackle box - much cheaper and in her favourite colour. There is often a cross over with fishing/auto/camping etc. A little imagination can see huge savings.
If you want a sounder, I bought one on ausfish for $75...keep looking for bargains or post a thread asking if anyone has an old one in the garage they want to off load. Good luck with the fishing/saving up/fishing/saving up/fishing etc. It never ends but it's worth every cent.

Castaway

Marlin_Mike
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Try rigning some formwork companies, they will sell you a sheet.

Mike

Dirtysanchez
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Good thread fellows.
Nice one Mowerman, very generous of you to make that offer to the young fellas.

I am about to inherit a small tinny from my dad and it needs a floor, so this is a beaut and timely thread, thank you !

I had enquired at Mister ply and wood and was told so long as the timber doesn't come in contact with, or is below the water line it doesn't need to be marine ply

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey Breambuster, I just bought an 8ft x 4ft sheet of 15mm exterior ply from a local kitchen panel supply shop (Townsville) for $40. It is now cut in pieces ready to go into my boat as a casting deck/storage.
For the sake of a few phone calls ring a few up and see if they have anything similar or have any off cuts they might be able to sell.
Alternatively go in and see them and ask for off cutts or packing sheets - most adults area happy to help out decent young fellas with good intentions.
I know what it's like to be on a budget as I have a wife, three kids and a mortgage - when looking for fishing stuff always consider other alternatives. My 10 yr old daughter just bought a plastic tool box from K-mart which she uses as a tackle box - much cheaper and in her favourite colour. There is often a cross over with fishing/auto/camping etc. A little imagination can see huge savings.
If you want a sounder, I bought one on ausfish for $75...keep looking for bargains or post a thread asking if anyone has an old one in the garage they want to off load. Good luck with the fishing/saving up/fishing/saving up/fishing etc. It never ends but it's worth every cent.

Castaway

Illgo checkout some local stores,
Mowerman donated a few peices of ply which i am very grateful,
a couple f guys have offered to sell me a sounder for $80 but i think i might need to save a little more as i need a outboard and that is my first priority.
thanks
bream buster

Scott nthQld
04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
If this hasn't been posted before hand (haven't read through all the posts on this thread), Marine Ply and stuctural ply are pretty much the same thing, the only difference is that marine ply (good marine ply that is) is usually made from hardwood, typically maple, some inferior quality stuff simply has a maple veneer, where as CD ply is just made from pine. However, the timber treatment, and glue used to make the ply are all the same ( I used to work in a timber yard and regularly came into contact with supplier reps who told me so). IMO CD Structural Ply is the go, less than half the price of marine ply (sometimes less than 1/3). Instead of using a marine varnish to seal, a product just as good it Bondcrete and much, much cheaper, just mix it with water, using 2:1 ratio, that is 2 parts water, 1 part bondcrete. Bondcrete is a commonly used wet area sealant used in bathrooms, kitchens etc, (also have done general labouring for tilers, sheeters, etc) basically its just a sort of woodglue that will cope with a lot of water. Failing that and exterior enamel (paint) will do the job just as well.

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know how to seal structural ply wood.??

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Would anyone like to tell me what type of material would be ideal and storng for making right angle brackets. This material has to be strong as it will be holding my casting deck inplace.

gone_phishin
04-02-2008, 03:14 PM
If you've got an hour to spare have a read of Going_phishing's thread at http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=66361. I think he is going to try and repost the photo's taken from the start later on tonight. He used structural ply with a waterbased exterior paint seal on all surfaces, and after 15+ months of overuse, his casting deck is still as good as when he built it! Good luck to all the young blokes attempting their own remodelling...you'll have a ball and you will feel like you have accomplished something just as Josh did.

Geoff

Keechie
04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Keechie that thing would fly!

i know i know! i should have known it. But there is alot of stuff in bunnings mick! lol. ;D

See breamuster, you alreeady have people offering you things! you will be amazed at the generosity on this site.

Cheers
Crazy

yeah it does fly but it is still a nice steady ride even in a bit of chop

regards,
keechie

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Breambuster i cant send you pm's for some reason. I used bondall marine sealer which worked perfectly and you can pick it up from bunnings in the paint section. you just paint it on and your ready to go. i covered every edge and surface just to be sure. As for the ally bracket i used some box channel, L, or C. if you can get a hold of an ally welder that will make the job much easier and you know it will be tuff. for example i had Fisher boats do my welding and they were able to use the right products for the right job and not wing anything. So i was assured it was going to strong. If you dont want to get the welding done go to a boat buiulder and ask for some ally offcuts that they might want to give away or sell for a small price. i take it your going to carpet the deck? if so, ill have to check, but i might have some spare carpet from my job but im not sure. if i do you can have it no worries.

Cheers
Crazy

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Yea crazy just wentdown to bunnings and got a few L shaped brackets which are so strong. next time i go down ill take a look at the sealer. i have decided ill wait till i turn 16 and get a 15hp motor as i dont think it is worth it as i will have to change registration etc.
i am definently going to carpet the deck so if you have some spare that would be great. if you dont thats fine ill go down and pick some up.
Im dont think if you cant weld fiberglass lol ill have to get a few options on how i can stick the brackets on.
how much roughly was the sealer??
cheers

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
hhahahha yeh i totally forgot you have a fibreglass boat. hahaha. how embarressing. lol. yeh i got a 15hp so it will be plenty of power for me throughout the years. and most of the time i have dad in the boat so it doesnt effect me not having a license for the time being. i will check on the carpet and get back to you. are you near victoria point golfcourse or am i thinking of the wrong place? for the brackets i know that sickaflex is bloody strong but i dont know if anyone else has any ideas?
Cheers
Crazy

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
i cant really remember properly. i think it was around 25-30 bucks for a 1 litre tin and that did all my timber so youll probably just need to get a small tin as you dont have as much timber to seal. so it should be pretty cheap.

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
hhahahha yeh i totally forgot you have a fibreglass boat. hahaha. how embarressing. lol. yeh i got a 15hp so it will be plenty of power for me throughout the years. and most of the time i have dad in the boat so it doesnt effect me not having a license for the time being. i will check on the carpet and get back to you. are you near victoria point golfcourse or am i thinking of the wrong place? for the brackets i know that sickaflex is bloody strong but i dont know if anyone else has any ideas?
Cheers
Crazy

Yea i got some pretty strong ones i could role a fat chik over it and it would have no effect lol. i think i might duck down to bunnings and buy some of the paint as it sounds pretty cheap. yea i am near the victoria point golfcourse. Maybe you have heard of coochie muddlo island well i pretty close to where the ferry leaves. what suburb are you from. cheers about the carpet if you have some pm me back and tell me how much u have as if there only offcuts might not be enough lol but i could put them somewhere on the seats i spose anyway would be great if you had some thanks. About the pms i didnt have you as a buddy so u now are one so it should be ok

BM
04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
To give your casting deck something to sit on instead of using the l-shaped brackets, glass some timber pieces to the hull. The casting deck can then be screwed to the timber blocks and it will be far stronger than using the alloy pieces.

Grind the area where the timber blocks will go and hold them in place with car bog. Then glass over the timber blocks and glass them to the hull. 3 layers of say, 450 csm will be ample.

To seal the underside of your ply sheeting there are many ways to do it but the only way a boat builder/repairer will do it (and of course the simplest and most appropriate method) is with fibreglass. One layer of 450 csm on the underside and your done. If you want to get carried away, then flowcoat it too.

Cheers

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
To give your casting deck something to sit on instead of using the l-shaped brackets, glass some timber pieces to the hull. The casting deck can then be screwed to the timber blocks and it will be far stronger than using the alloy pieces.

Grind the area where the timber blocks will go and hold them in place with car bog. Then glass over the timber blocks and glass them to the hull. 3 layers of say, 450 csm will be ample.

To seal the underside of your ply sheeting there are many ways to do it but the only way a boat builder/repairer will do it (and of course the simplest and most appropriate method) is with fibreglass. One layer of 450 csm on the underside and your done. If you want to get carried away, then flowcoat it too.

Cheers

im not really that experienced lol i would have absolutly no idea but thanks for the post anyway. i am sure someone more experienced then me will sue it out there:D

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey breambuster. i have heaps of carpet left. definately enough for the deck i should think. my mum and dads work is in the valley so they might be able to drop in and drop it off either on the way home or there. ill just have to double check with dad to see if its sweet for him to do that. if not im not sure how we can do it. it may even be a case of me catching a bus or something to your house on the weekend and dropping it off. i live in a place called bunya downs. its about a 20-30 min drive to vic golf cuorse from where i live.

Cheers
Crazy

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
ive come across a problem. i made a mistake with the golfcourse. lol. i thought the golfcourse i was thinking of was called victoria point golfcourse but its actually called victoria park golfcourse. and im actually about an hour or more away from where you live. Im really sorry for this. if there is any way that i can get it to you then i will. its to big to post though. i spose if your ever over on the northside of brisbane you should drop in. sorry again.

Crazy

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey breambuster. i have heaps of carpet left. definately enough for the deck i should think. my mum and dads work is in the valley so they might be able to drop in and drop it off either on the way home or there. ill just have to double check with dad to see if its sweet for him to do that. if not im not sure how we can do it. it may even be a case of me catching a bus or something to your house on the weekend and dropping it off. i live in a place called bunya downs. its about a 20-30 min drive to vic golf cuorse from where i live.

Cheers
Crazy

hey crazy,
sounds like a great idea. would it be ok if you could send me some measurments so i can just get an idea to sea if i would need some more. would you like some oney for it i am willing to pay if you like.
cheers

Breambuster33
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
ive come across a problem. i made a mistake with the golfcourse. lol. i thought the golfcourse i was thinking of was called victoria point golfcourse but its actually called victoria park golfcourse. and im actually about an hour or more away from where you live. Im really sorry for this. if there is any way that i can get it to you then i will. its to big to post though. i spose if your ever over on the northside of brisbane you should drop in. sorry again.

Crazy

oh thats ok lol we all make mistakes. is it anywhere near albany creek as i go there quite regulary??

crazboutfishin
04-02-2008, 08:14 PM
hahah yeh its like 5 mins from albany creek. how come you go there? thats ages away from where you live isnt it? in that case you can pick it up when you go there. and no i dont want any money. ill get some measurements for you tomorrow.

Cheers
Crazy

mowerman
04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey Breambuster

Dont go beserk on the sealer just yet.

The ply Im delivering is sealed and painted on both sides. Just the ends you might have to touch up.

Rod.

Breambuster33
05-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Hey Breambuster

Dont go beserk on the sealer just yet.

The ply Im delivering is sealed and painted on both sides. Just the ends you might have to touch up.

Rod.

ok thats good ill just get a small tin and do the touch up. might aswell as i might need it another day . thank you again
breambuster

Breambuster33
05-02-2008, 07:08 AM
hahah yeh its like 5 mins from albany creek. how come you go there? thats ages away from where you live isnt it? in that case you can pick it up when you go there. and no i dont want any money. ill get some measurements for you tomorrow.

Cheers
Crazy

yea thats great my mums bestfriend lives over there i tihnk we mioght be going there this weekend so ill see what happens

crazboutfishin
05-02-2008, 07:14 AM
ok sweet. PM me if you are. i should be home i think. ot someone should anyway.

Cheers
Crazy

Breambuster33
05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
ok sweet. PM me if you are. i should be home i think. ot someone should anyway.

Cheers
Crazy

ok, did u get the measurments

mowerman
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Did I deliver to the right place.

Left it leaning up against the palm tree.

Rod.

Breambuster33
06-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Did I deliver to the right place.

Left it leaning up against the palm tree.

Rod.

Hey mowerman,
yep ytou got the right place,
thank you very much it is the perfect size for what i need,
thank you again
mason

435_Mark
06-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Go the structural ply fellahs. It is the same as marine ply, the same glue and everything. The only difference is that marine ply has 2 "finished" sides. Have a look at the structural and you will see one side looks great and the other is a bit rough.

As for sealing it, you can go the marine sealers as they do a great job, just a bit (a lot!) pricey. Or you can use any resonable house paint primer and then paint it with a top coat. I used acrylic primer and house paint and it worked a treat.

cheers,

Mark

Bilopete
27-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Go the structural ply fellahs. It is the same as marine ply, the same glue and everything. The only difference is that marine ply has 2 "finished" sides. Have a look at the structural and you will see one side looks great and the other is a bit rough.

As for sealing it, you can go the marine sealers as they do a great job, just a bit (a lot!) pricey. Or you can use any resonable house paint primer and then paint it with a top coat. I used acrylic primer and house paint and it worked a treat.

cheers,

Mark

I went to Bunnings today and they only have standard ply up to 19mm. Apart from Bunnings is there any other major retailer that sells construction ply?

Outsider1
27-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I went to Bunnings today and they only have standard ply up to 19mm. Apart from Bunnings is there any other major retailer that sells construction ply?

When you say standard ply, not sure what you mean?. Construction or Structural ply is coded as CD (flooring), AD wall cladding, or DD Structural brace (Marine ply is AA). All should be OK, CD would be the pick. I am very surprised that Bunnings did not have any??;

http://www.timber.org.au/NTEP/menu.asp?id=137

As mentioned elsewhere any Hardware store should stock it, also Timber Merchants I guess. Long time since I last bought some!.

Cheers

Dave

stingau
27-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Mate if you want a cheap alternative try a mob called RMD at northgate they are suppliers to the construction industry for formwork after a few uses the formwork sheets need to be replaced and you can buy them cheap they are 8 x 4 sheets some with holes but im sure you can cut out around them andsince you are covering it appearance isnt an issue. thay are 20mm thick and made to withstand the pressure of concrete so will be overkill for flooring ..seal the ct edges and away you go

Breambuster33
16-05-2008, 12:36 PM
thanks for everyone who posted all finished now
cheers

Red_Nut
16-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Breambuster - got a couple of pics of your project?

Well done on getting through the project. Feels very satisfying I'm sure. I'm 30yo and still get a kick out of doing wheel bearings and little things like that myself.

Cheers.

Ed.

TJ Bear
16-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Best way to seal ply is resin coat and let go off then glass over with 225g chopped strand mat. True best practise is to first give the ply a wash with cobalt but I dought you have it available and cobalt, resin and MEPK catalyst are extremely dangerous in inexperienced hands. Do this to both sides and you will never have a problem with rot. Just remember to pre drill any holes for screws and put a bit of sicka into the hole before the screw is inserted. It amazes me how many people just drill into either the laminate of there boat or timber and do not seal the holes, this is a major cuase of rot in floors and transoms.

onerabbit
16-05-2008, 07:31 PM
It makes such a refreshing change to hear young fella's like you getting involved in fishing & boating so early. Wish I had.

There is hope in the world with kids like this, rather than the PS, X-360 generation of couch potatoes.

Chris

Exactely Chris,

How good is this ............................?

Muzz

onerabbit
16-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Breambuster, have you got a sounder yet?

Muzz

Mangfish
17-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ryan http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=758733#post758733)

Chris

im laughing, i've got a 360 in my boat, sittin there waiting for the drag to scream.
best way to fish if u ask me

BrandonH
17-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Great read guys!!! Would be good to see a few pics of your finished product Breambuster;)

Cheers
Brandon...

fRuItCaKe
18-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Back to the sealing topic, I use Marine Penetrol, three coats and either leave as is or paint with enamel if it is for cosmetic purposes (white boat, white coat etc)

Nothing gets through Penetrol I've found, make sure you give all edges special attention.