PDA

View Full Version : Hope Is fish kill -Gold Coast

the gecko
03-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Channel 9 news showed a big fishkill at Hope Is Resort in the lakes next to the golf course. There were hundreds of mullet, bream and even crabs being scooped up.

Apparantly it started friday, and water samples have been taken. Results out in a few days.

No idea what it is yet, but if anyone can add anything, please tell us all. This lake is connected underground to the marina area, and whatever it is will be effecting Coomera river soon.

Did another developer dump some poison? Who knows... be careful what you eat.

cheers
Andrew

fish_on
03-02-2008, 08:18 PM
yeah i saw that too what a waste. few people not happy. maybe someone has dumped something in the water

Dodgy_Back
03-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I remember reading a while ago, could even be more that a year that the council or another was concerned that the new canals being dug in that area would hold too much poisoned water too open them up to the river.
Looks like they may have been right !

Mick

RayDeR
03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
G'day!

I wonder if all the lawns in the area have been sprayed for lawn grub?

Ray De R

Poodroo
04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
More often than not these mass fish kills are often attributed to pesticides and insecticides of some description. Does anyone ever notice that the fish kills are normally around the times when it rains heavily? In our case we have been in drought for so long that there have been no reports of fish kills in that time. Now it rains and suddenly we have fish kill. I have heard that what happens is the concentration levels of insecticides continue to increase during the dry weather and once it rains the heavy concentrations end up flushing into the local creeks and river systems and simply end up in our water ways. Not sure as to exact figures or even if it is true but the timing with the rains always seem to support that theory somewhat.

Poodroo

geoff72
04-02-2008, 01:32 PM
i know from doing alot of testing at hope isl. that alot of the soil there has acid sulphate in it,but they do lime it to neutralise the acid,mabe with all the rain lately the water may have penitrated deeper into the soil and washed alot into the sysytem. maybe but not 100% positive on this,just a therory.
cheers

3rd degree
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
There has been another fish kill recently in the Richmond River (Northern NSW) following heavy rains.

I thought I had heard that the cause was something to do with a lack of oxygen in the water with all the run off around.

It may be that there is some sort of poison in the water that has caused the kill at Hope Island, but I would think it more than likely be the same as what happened in the Richmond.

Cheers

Jim

roz
04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I think geoff72 might be on the right track.

seen it in the Tweed many times, usually after a dry spell then a few weeks of heavy rain. I'm not sure, but the oxygen levels drop with the lower PH...

Not good what ever the cause.

r.

bondy99
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I also believe it has more to do with Acid Sulfate Soil Disturbance due to new canal estate developments. Why the Qld Govt does not learn its lessons and take onboard NSW Governments leaf of having no further canal estate development due to the inherit problems that ASS cause. Thanks to the developers greed of a fast buck without foresight or regard to future intergeneration. The heavy rain came down and dislodged the soils. Thats my spin on the problem. Peter