PDA

View Full Version : technique needed for approaching the ramp?

fender22
03-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi all. I have a 19 foot boat which I seem to have issues coming into the ramp. Unfortunately the ramps around me in Cleveland Brisbane are just concrete ramps with no beach to nose the boat in and nothing either side, which means I have to line up, come in slowly but steadilly towards the ramp and at the last moment try and tilt the motor up and get around and jump off the front to stop the boat before it bangs into the concrete ramp!

The boat is around 4 or 5 foot off the water at the front and more often than not I jump off too early or too deep and either end up going a$$ over head or up to my neck in water! At best I normally end up with the balls of my feet very sore from the long jump! I have tried to come in rear first a few times and just step down the ladder but not always easy if there is any wind or currrent.

I have owned boats for years and has always been somewhat of a drama. Am I missing something? There must be an easier way.

ozscott
03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Gday Fender - I have a 20 foot Vagabond cabin similar to yours. Clears on the side made the already already large windage a bigger drama. Mate the best thing I can suggest after punting this old girl for a few years is to motor in slowly but maitaining steerage and have the motor up a bit so that you are only drawing about a foot of water with the motor. Then throttle back into reverse just as the front is coming up onto the ramp to pull her into a stationery position. You may have to nudge forward just a little. Then move to the front and hop off onto the ramp. Sometimes the front will just kiss the ramp with your weight on the prow before you jump off, but it wont be much if you get it right (and thats what flowcoat is made for !). At Cleveland ramp you can get in (if the tide is down a bit) on the VMR side of the ramp, but its all small stones and shell. You can get a protector for the keel if you want.

Cheers

honda900
03-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Fender,

Raby Bay has a little bit of sand on the left hand sid of the ramp for jumping over the front, but at low tide its oyster covered rocks. I use the south side of manly harbour ramp now with a jetty, I always have a deckie to help out but it is just that much easier being able to pull up at the jetty, go and back the trailer down, and get the deckie to catch the front of the boat (non drive on trailer).

The ramp is a good dual lane ramp, plenty of parking on the sothern side of manly boat harbour.

Regards
Honda

Roughasguts
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Mate that's what you have a paddle for.

Once you get close paddle up and turn the boat sideways, raise the motor and use the paddle for a depth gauge and when it ain't that deep junp off the side.

But can you post some footage of how you use to do it, I could do with a laugh today.

Dodgy_Back
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
You can get a product called "Keel Guard" it sticks on to your keel to protect it against dents and gouges from bumping into ramps and stuff.
I have it on my boat and it does take away the worry about bumping into a ramp.

I'd be using that and then just come in slowly to the ramp .

Mick

Briannes
03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi fnder22,
I had the same problem in my new Yalta 535, so I fitted some keelguard it is expensive at $280.00 but really worth it, now I dont get any damage or have to worry cheers

datamile
03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Use the vicky point pontoon instead. I used to bump mine up on the sand and get the trailer, but its gets busy there.

copie
03-02-2008, 07:11 PM
fender22 i shaw do understand what your on about. I have a 19ft haines when i am with the guys or my older sons no problem anywhere as i drop one off to get the trailer and i drive straight on. When i am with my wife and the younger kids i have to do it all. This is why is why i search out nearby ramps with a pontoon. Check my thread in this section on PONTOON EQUIPED RAMPS.

fender22
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
I was using Viccy point a fair bit and the concept is awesome. You can launch and retreive a 20' boat easilly on your own. I started to find though the main problem was coming back in. Lots of people and no one seemed to have a clue re as soon as someone gets there boat out, move up a space and let someone else on the end of the pontoon and keep the queue moving. Ended up doing lappys for 20 minutes while some goose left his boat tied at the end of the pontoon and refused to move up and ended up drifting onto the mud.

datamile
03-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Yup, Vicky point doesn't appear to have an organised in/out method for those queuing to get out, and you do drift around a lot waiting for a space.

fender22
03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
You would think common sense would prevail though wouldn't you?