PDA

View Full Version : hydrofoil on 40hp

Benny01
03-02-2008, 07:13 AM
im confused about they hydrofoils. i own a 3.2m bluefin open dinghy with a tiller steer 40hp 2 stroke suzuki. top speed i can get is 27.6knts. is it worth me putting on a foil?? what will the advantages and disadvantages be with it

Blackened
03-02-2008, 07:51 AM
G'day

NO. Reason i'm saying this, and i'm taking it that you have the figures corect is that 40 is pretty much overkill for a 10' tinny.

A foil is used mainly for the boats that are imo borderline powered to assist them in getting on the plane and all those benefits

Dave

dogsbody
03-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Gday mate A 40 on a 3.2 is that correct. Bit of a concern.

Does your boat have any issues? Sometimes a foil will fix problems and sometimes they will cause problems. Some members have nearly overturned their boats with a foil.

Dave.

Chimo
03-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Hi Benny and Dave

Agree with the over-power comment but sorry to disagree with you Dave about foil benefits. I have one on a 9.9 on a 10 ft tinny and after having it on the motor for years I took it off (to make flushing easier) and noticed a big differnce in the way the tinny behaves. At low speeds (less than 6 kn) the bum sinks so low and the turbulance at the rear is much greater as the stern is now running much lower and creating much more of a low pressure area at the back ie transom. At high speed I can turn without worrying about rolling the tinny which is not pleasant and one tends to lose too much gear in the process.

In short the foils are going back on mine and if I had a 40 HP I'd be getting a bigger (legal) boat to go with it so I'd have some hope if either I get hit or I hit someone else. Or a smaller motor, with a set of foils; would be good on what you have.

There are a lot of previous threads on foils on the site and some like them, and some dont.

Cheers
Chimo

dogsbody
03-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Which Dave? I fitted a foil on my first boat v-punt 25hp because of porpoising. Fixed it and boat felt more stable, lost a bit of speed.

But in saying that it was my first boat. I did not know about motor heights and the like so i have no of what could have been achieved.

Dave.

Benny01
03-02-2008, 09:04 AM
sorry guys its a 4.2M. my mistake