PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a GPS fix on my Navman

tropicrows
02-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I can't get GPS fix on my Navman 5607 tracker. Do you know if their are any tricks in resetting the GPS receiver. I select reset GPS receiver but nothing happens. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Taroona
02-02-2008, 07:46 PM
try disconnecting power that is not just turning off wait 1 minute power it back up and see what happens

look to see what else has changed since last using it

Leighton
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
if its next to your sounder turn the sounder off

pilchardjones
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
tropicrows,
i had the same problem - see below

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=123534

on the weekend i played around with the gold terminal on the back of the unit that the aerial cord screws into. basically tightened up the locking nut and sprayed inside with inox and it seems to have fixed my problem. ran all day sat and sun without losing signal.
good luck.
steve

gone_phishin
04-02-2008, 03:01 PM
This is eerie....my 5607 stopped its GPS fix on Saturday as well...nothing has changed from what it has been for 6 months. Have you had any luck with yours Tropicrows??

Cheers
Geoff

tenzing
04-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Geoff,
my 5505 lost fix saturday pm as well at curtin. (spooky?)

It also has a nasty habit of going off at a spot inside Green Is. EVERY TIME WE HAVE STOPPED THERE for a last fish on the way back from Mud. It has been such a regular thing that I figured it was just the Bermuda triangle of Navman, and now I turn it off before we stop just to avoid doing the whole setup thing agaiin!

Cheers,
Brendan

Any_Weather
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Guys, I had the strangest thing happen to my Navman GPS last Friday. It is only a gps unit with internal antenna not a chart plotter or anything fancy. I went out and it directed me straight to the spot X which is a pinnicle which holds plenty of bait. I anchored up solid and went back to the cabin at which time the GPS lost its fix for some reason. I was not concerned as it got the fix back in about 10 seconds. Shortly after I looked at the screen to see us apparently drifting at 6 km/h. There was no sign of us drifting with lines hanging properly and no snags. The fish were constantly biting so I thought this is a pretty good drift. In no time we were 3.5km from where we had originally started (apparently). The fish slowed down so I said we would go back to the original mark. After pulling up a solid anchor and travelling the distance we find nothing, no pinnicle, no bait, nothing. I looked for some different marks which I knew were in the same area as we now were it its saying 5km to them. I thought something is wrong so I tried the bar which I knew was about 11km and it told me 22km. Then the GPS losses its fix again and when it came back on I tried the original mark which it is now telling me is exactly the same distance we had travelled in the first place, so we went back and straight on the pinnicle again. I was thinking there was something wrong with the unit but now think something or someone may be playing with the satalites. The unit was showing plenty of satalite connectivety at the time.
Is there another explanation or do I need a new unit. These things are ok to happen when you are only 10km from home in the middle of the day but a bit different when 65km from home at night hey. Lucky we take a return compass bearing on the way out.

Lee

Sandman
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok i recieved my replacement unit back last week and its not a Navman , i put the unit back in the boat and gave it a test this was Saturday , my boat was not in the water but on the trailer parked out the front of the house, when the satalite fix came on it gave the location as the area i live then all of a sudden it moved over to the north side near sandgate on dry land ???? Maybe it is the satalites?

Taroona
05-02-2008, 04:20 PM
You have to understand that the US Gov't controls tha satalite's.

So if you have been thinking, saying any thing nasty about Mr. Bush the CIA has proberly tracked you down and are messing with you.

So be careful.

gone_phishin
05-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Took the boat out this morning, along with the old Go! handheld, turned the Chartplotter on to get the marks out of for the Go!, and the Navman/Northstar bugger worked perfectly!!!!wtf:-/

Did the job all day and never lost a signal...bloody US government I reckon;D

SatNav
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
1. "You have to understand that the US Gov't controls tha satalite's" yes and thankfully the US Gov't do control the satellites, and there's no better custodian either.

Taroona
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
So good in fact that the French are building their own system so that they can't be held to ransom if the yanks turn it off

gone_phishin
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Hey SatNav!! Is what we (me) have experienced, 1 - a software problem or 2 - a satellite problem, or 3 - just an antenna problem...do you think??

Geoff

SatNav
05-02-2008, 09:02 PM
"So good in fact that the French are building their own system so that they can't be held to ransom if the yanks turn it off"

1. First off the French are not and could not build Galileo by themselves even if they wanted to

2. Second Galileo when announced back in 1999 was all supposed to be complete and fully operational by 2008. Ever bothered to wonder why it's not?

3. Galileo now will now not be around now until at least 2013 or beyond as the funding now has been fully taken over by the EU Governments as private enterprise is not prepared to take the risk.

4. There has been a lot of discussion and are already cooperative agreements signed between the US (GPS), Galileo as well as Glonass (Russia) and a lot more going on in the background than you could even imagine

5. Yanks turn GPS off? You don't understand much about GPS do you?

SatNav
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
1. A software problem? Possible from the number of similar units apparently going down. Rather difficult to diagnose as any manufacturer will deny just about everything for as long as possible.

2. Satellite Problem? Possible, has occured rarely but highly unlikely with the additional controls now in place. If it was a satellite problem then everybody (that is everybody) would be experienced similar issues. I have not heard of any satellite issues apart from normal routine maintenance stuff.

3. Antenna problem? This is something that can be easily changed out and tested fairly easily

4. In order check 3, 1 then .................................................. ............ 2

gone_phishin
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
3 "Can easily be changed out"... but at a cost, if 1 and 2 are a possible culprit

2 "Possible, has occured rarely but highly unlikely with the additional controls now in place. If it was a satellite problem then everybody (that is everybody) would be experienced similar issues." ...lack of experience on my behalf I know, but are all satellites available to all GPS units?

1 "Possible from the number of similar units apparently going down." Does the fact that the number of units...admittedly only three or four at this stage...not suggest a probable software problem as against the likelihood of 3 and 2?? If so, this would have to be a self-rectifying software problem wouldn't it? ...as per what has happened to mine...though it would clarify things if we heard from the other Navman/Northstar owners having problems with their equivalent units on this thread, and had an update from them.

Thanks Navman!
Geoff
ps I really don't give a rats arze about who, or what, did to whomever or whatsoever, to what and how, when designing and applying the global positioning system we all enjoy...just want to be confident in the abilities of the unit I have that it will get me within cooee of where I want to go, when I want to go there...without it telling me I have "No GPS fix"

SatNav
06-02-2008, 01:18 PM
1. Generally the antenna is always the first thing to try and eliminate as the cause. Dealer should be able to provide one or borrow one as there appears quite a few of these around (yeah I know all doing a similar thing?)

2. If the antenna is connected by wires (not coax cable) then the antenna is actually the "GPS" but controlled and configured from the display unit

3. All satellites are available to all GPS units (more correctly the civil signal is available to all civil receivers) in a similar area assuming all can see the satellites.

4. If there is something blocking the signal or view of the sky then this could cause a satellite to drop out but 1 or 2 satellites down should not cause the problems you are having.

5. Yes more inclined to look at the unit (antenna/display) before even thinking about the system itself.

6 However there are known (design/software) issues with some units when using satellites 31 and/or 32. Take note if 31 is in the satellite list when this issue occurs

7. Satellite 32 is not currently broadcasting but there has been an advisory notification issued that 32 will be set usable and broadcast from Feb 19 and GPS users should monitor 32 for any issues.

8. Check if WAAS/EGNOS is enabled or not. Default is probably ON but should be turned OFF.

Chine
13-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I can't get GPS fix on my Navman 5607 tracker. Do you know if their are any tricks in resetting the GPS receiver. I select reset GPS receiver but nothing happens. :( :( :( :( :( :(

This link may go some way to explaining the problem.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2008/04/another_gps_glitch_some_northstars_affected.html#m ore

You will also find the Panbo site an excellent source for updated information on all electronic navigation hardware/software releases/issues. Enjoy.

SatNav
13-04-2008, 07:30 PM
6 However there are known (design/software) issues with some units when using satellites 31 and/or 32. Take note if 31 is in the satellite list when this issue occurs

7. Satellite 32 is not currently broadcasting but there has been an advisory notification issued that 32 will be set usable and broadcast from Feb 19 and GPS users should monitor 32 for any issues.

1. Both satellite 31 and 32 positions have been well documented concerning issues since the very early 90's and this same advisory was issued in 2007 prior to 31 and/or 32 coming on line.

2. Why has it taken certain manufacturers this long to pick the ball up?

dan099
25-04-2008, 07:43 PM
just line up the hills with the pine tree thay did this for years and caught fish now it is getting complacated and dear

SatNav
25-04-2008, 07:47 PM
1. Unfortunealtey the developers have long knocked over the pine trees and flatened them there hills

Timfishin4fun
27-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I also had a problem with my unit last time I used it. It is a navman 6600.
I couldn't get a fix so turned unit off and then back on. To no success.

I then turned unit off and checked all connections (did this twice) as first time didn't work.

After second bout I received signal and unit was fine for rest of the trip.

Put all this down to moisture stuffing up signal but will now be going out to test unit in front yard. Hopefully no problem arises.

P.S I have just purchased another type of GPS for golf. Its called a sureshot and I know of quite a few people that use these.

I tested this unit yesterday arvo and found it to be very unreliable on fixed locations I mapped. I know the unit wasn't fully charged but I couldn't wait to try it.

I have fully charged unit and will now test the unit but it may still have same problems as per northstars.

Will test both units and let ya know what the result is.

Tim

Timfishin4fun
27-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi guys, I have sat both units side by side and would you believe we get different readings of gps mark. At a whopping 193m difference. Wow!!!

At this stage which mark would you believe to be correct? I know I have put my faith into my fishing gps.

I have written down the marks and checked them on google earth, not sure how good that is either, but 1 mark is close enough I suppose.

I was amazed to find out that according to google earth my boat was actually sitting nearly 200m down the road.

So wtf is going on? And now do I trust ole faithful to put me on my marks or run me thru some tight ass channels?

Or is this something I should double check and triple check to see if I was getting a false mark?

And not wanting to stir any tea cups but do you know if your gps is reading correct marks? Or are you like me and cause the screen says such and such you believe it.

To me gps was meant to take guessing out of the game but now I'm bambooziled.

Thanks
Tim

Outsider1
27-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Hi Tim,

are you talking the same Datum here?

"Google Earth uses WGS84 datum"

http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_importdata.html

Cheers

Dave

SatNav
27-04-2008, 12:51 PM
1. 193 metres, 200 metres is simply a datum issue

2. One GPS is most likely set to AGD66 or AGD84 and the other WGS84 or GDA94

3. Based solely on each GPS unit both marks could be correct as there is not necessarily a right and wrong mark? Depending.

4. The GPS whose coordinates you put into google earth and is 200 metres down the road is the GPS set to AGD

5. This is not a GPS issue but more a user user, understanding why to configure, how to configure and to use your GPS

6. Don't think you are alone with this type of situation, fairly common actually

Timfishin4fun
27-04-2008, 05:58 PM
I will check this out guys.
Thanks for the bright spark I don't know why I didn't think of trying it. But as they say more heads are better than this one I've got. LOL.

Thanks
Tim