PDA

View Full Version : Problem - Please Help

Splash
02-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi Team.

Yes, I know it's me again..... :-:D

My donk will not shift into forward gear.

Just come back from the ramp with it stuck in reverse.

This hasa never happened before.

The only thing we did different today was to reverse boat off trailer when launching. This was the first time I had done this and it may have somehting to do with this problem..

I really wanna go fishing tomorrow and need this fixed ASAP.

PLease advise..

Splash

Dan5
02-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you may have done a control cable,so it won't shift back to neutral?Have you tried shifting it under the cowling?Also don't wanna be a smarty but have you considered a new engine splash as your's sound's abit unreliable mate and you would know by now there's not much in the way of boat traffic where you are and i don't wanna read about you in the paper.Dan.....

Splash
02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks Dan.

Yes, I am expecting these "new donk" requests.. this is really testing my patience..

How do I know I have done a control cable?

I have now undone cable under cowling and tried to wedge the linkage free but won't budge..

What is my next step (beside creating a new sea anchor)?

Splash

FNQCairns
02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Splash disconnect at the engine, both cables then with the engine RUNNING try and change gears at the engine linkage by hand (take prop off first!!!)

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Don't listen to Dan he has got one of those 'I can sneak right up and tickle fish on the belly" engines...hardly sporting I say!!:D:D

Splash
02-02-2008, 07:23 PM
FNQ - clarity needed.

What u mean disconnect at engine?

which cables are both? (clutch and throttle?)

Do I have water muffs on with water flowing through - as per normal flush?

The gear is still stuck in reverse - is it still ok to start?

I don't think donk will start when in gear..

Why has this occurred in first pplace?

Splash

Dan5
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Mate i'm no mechanic i've just had abit of experiance with outboards but i think that it might be stuck between gears (sounds obvious) there is a spring that throws out and push's the "gear into gear" this may have crapped it's self.Have you tried moving the prop while moving the linkage?Did your cable return after you dissconected it?you know move in and out?.Dan.........

FNQCairns
02-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Splash leave throttle connected, disconnect the gear change cable at the engine linkage.
Then select neutral at the controls ,will start then and you will have throttle. It's ok to start an engine in gear, prop off.

Dunno why it happened but when you are further along it will become clearer.

Splash
02-02-2008, 07:36 PM
OK - thanks.

I have now disconnected gear lever.

Throttle now back in neutral.

THe prop is locked and I cannot rotate it in any direction.

SHoudl I still start?

How will starting donk help this situation?

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
ok - i started don kwithout prop conencted.

shaft still rotates with gear lever in neutral.

Next steps?

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Splash disconnect at the engine, both cables then with the engine RUNNING try and change gears at the engine linkage by hand (take prop off first!!!)

cheers fnq

FNQ - tried this no luck - cnanot change gear sby hand.

Well - I thin ktomorrows trip is dead!

Thanks for quick help any ways guys...

SPlash

BM
02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Manually shift the engine into nuetral at the engine end via the linkage the gear cable was connected to.

station-rat
02-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Splash
When you move the gear selector leaver back and forward can you see the shift rod move up and down in the leg?
I remember the fun you had getting the shift rod lined up with the locating pin.
Station-rat

tunaticer
02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Sounds to me like the linkage in the selector rod in the leg is the problem. Have a look thru the grill in the lower leg where the water gets picked up from to cool the engine. There should be a brass coupling there connecting the two stainless steel rods. My bet is one end is either loose or broken and letting the rod move on the motor end and not the rod in the gearbox. Could be as simple as tightening it up.

Jack.

Splash
02-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks BM and SRAt.

BM - I am unable to manually shift the engine into nuetral at the engine end via the linkage the gear cable was connected to. I have tried - but it will not move for some reason.

SRAT - When I move the gear selector leaver back and forward I cannot see the shift rod move up and down in the leg. Yes I had lots of fun getting this pin lined up - thanks for the reminder...... :-)

What has happened? Why can't I move anything?

Thi sdonk has been running great after my big maintenance effort a few months ago.. Now - this. And, tomorrow woudl have been the best day fishing up here... :-((

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Sounds to me like the linkage in the selector rod in the leg is the problem. Have a look thru the grill in the lower leg where the water gets picked up from to cool the engine. There should be a brass coupling there connecting the two stainless steel rods. My bet is one end is either loose or broken and letting the rod move on the motor end and not the rod in the gearbox. Could be as simple as tightening it up.

Jack.

I'll have a look.

How do i tighten it up?

SPlash

station-rat
02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
You cannot see the shift rod, or it does not move up or down?
Station-rat

BM
02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Make sure where the shift rod connects to the shifter assembly (under the bottom carb) that you haven't had it come loose there and cause a mechanical jam.

Its unlikely but possible that something went wrong inside the gearbox.

Splash
02-02-2008, 10:38 PM
You cannot see the shift rod, or it does not move up or down?
Station-rat

I can see the shift rod and it does not move up or down - I have tried with pliers.

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Make sure where the shift rod connects to the shifter assembly (under the bottom carb) that you haven't had it come loose there and cause a mechanical jam.

Its unlikely but possible that something went wrong inside the gearbox.

The shift rod has not come lose - I can see through there and it looks like it may be jammed there - I don't know.

Is it time to remove the bottom leg again? Even if I do, I still don't think I can budge the shift rod out.. :-(

SPlash

BM
02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
If the shift rod is jammed somehow in the shifter assembly then you wont be able to get the lower unit off.

See if you can detach the shift rod from the shift assembly and then use your pliers to see if you can move the shift rod up and down.

If the shift rod still wont move then drop the lower unit. Its only a few bolts, should take you under 2 minutes.

Cheers

station-rat
02-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Ok
So the shift lever moves but the shift rod does not.
You will have to look at the locating pin again and make sure that it is locked into the shift rod
Station-rat

Splash
02-02-2008, 10:47 PM
ok - stand by

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Done! - was'nt 2 mins but a bit longer - BTW what is the record for removing the leg?

All bols are out and still I cannot move shift rod or shift assembly. Bottom leg won't come off basically. All still locked up.

Spalsh

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:22 PM

Jack.

No brass couplings observed throught the grill.

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Is there a way to disengage the shift rod from the linkage assy which would in turn free up the rod and allow bottom leg to drop.

SPlash

station-rat
02-02-2008, 11:26 PM
You have pulled the shift lever to release the shift rod?
Station-rat

BM
02-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm going to be bed (its 12.30am in Melb)....

So the lower unit wont come off? And you have the shift rod disconnected at the powerhead end?

If thats undone and all the bolts are out then the leg will come free. Check theres nothing strange going on with the shift rod up top. And also check the shift rod down the bottom. If you look between the top of the lower unit and the bottom engine mount you can see the shift rod as it exits the lower unit and enters the swivel bracket tube.

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:40 PM
You have pulled the shift lever to release the shift rod?
Station-rat

Yes. .........................

station-rat
02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Has the gearbox moved away from the mid section at all?

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I'm going to be bed (its 12.30am in Melb)....

So the lower unit wont come off? And you have the shift rod disconnected at the powerhead end?

If thats undone and all the bolts are out then the leg will come free. Check theres nothing strange going on with the shift rod up top. And also check the shift rod down the bottom. If you look between the top of the lower unit and the bottom engine mount you can see the shift rod as it exits the lower unit and enters the swivel bracket tube.

Thanks for staying with me BM and SRAT!

How do I tell if shift rod is disconnected at phead end?

I have tired to move rod with pliers as it exits lower unit and up top - no budge.

Nothing.

Sweet dreams buddy!

Splash

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Has the gearbox moved away from the mid section at all?

How to tell?

station-rat
02-02-2008, 11:49 PM
If you have removed the 5 bolts then the gearbox should drop down 12mm, even with the shift rod still connected.

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:51 PM
stand by................

Splash
02-02-2008, 11:54 PM
at front - around 8mm, at back around 3-4mm...

SPlash

station-rat
03-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Ok then
Try pulling the shift lever out as far as you can, and see if you can feel the shift rod (watch the gearbox does not fall on your foot)

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:09 AM
stand by........

station-rat
03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
If you can't do any good now, leave it for the daylight and have a good look at the shift mechanism to make sure it is disconnected

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:18 AM
ok -

When I pulled link out, I could see a pin go through a hole which seemed to engage the shift rod.

When I pushed the link in, the opposite occured.

I wiggled, waggled, tried everything to budge the shift rod - no deal.

Next?

Splash

station-rat
03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
My mistake
Push the shift lever toward the powerhead to disengage the shift rod
If you push the lever and turn it then let it go it should be disengaged
That pin through the hole, should not have the rod on the pin.

station-rat
03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Its 12.30
and Iam off to bed now, catch you tomorrow

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for clarification.

I cannot turn that shift lever either. IT won't move - just like the shift rod.

SPlash

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:38 AM
ok - thanks for your help

station-rat
03-02-2008, 12:39 AM
You can't turn the lever, with the lever pushed all the way in?

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:42 AM
no..........................

BM
03-02-2008, 07:10 AM
With the shift lever pushed in it should disengage from the shift rod and then the shift lever should be free flopping inside the cowling.

With all 5 bolts out of the lower unit you may not be able to disengage the shift rod from the shift lever pin due to the downforce of the box. Put one bolt back into lower unit or support the leg with a jack etc and then disengage the shift lever from the shift rod and then drop the lower unit.

Cheers

tin can marlin
03-02-2008, 09:20 AM
What ever you do don't buy a etec you will have more problems

Splash
03-02-2008, 09:56 AM
THanks BM - I have tried that before - but I will try it again now..

Tincan - why do u say this?

SPlash

Splash
03-02-2008, 10:17 AM
OK BM - tried that - no work.

How far do I need to push the link in to enable rod disengagement?

I am unable to push link right in (athough I am able to push in some way).

Seems somehting is blocking this.

SPlash

Spaniard_King
03-02-2008, 10:48 AM
How long till the 4" grinder comes out :)

Splash
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
very soon mate :-)

I know the fish will like an extra structure to play around in.............

Splash
03-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Anyone else help?

Spaniard_King
03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Splash, the boys are on to it.. keep playing with the shift lever untill you get the shift rod disconnected from the shift lever at the top.

last resort cut the shift lever just under the pivot tube with a grinder or hacksaw.. will have to replace the shift rod if you do this eh!

BM
03-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Splash,

An angle grinder wont get in their as the gap is too narrow. If you need to cut it go to Bunnings and buy a sabre saw. They have a GMC cheapy for about $35 that will do the job perfectly.

You can then weld the shift rod after cutting it.

I'm somewhat confused here though. You put the leg back on this thing didn't you? So therefore you understand how the shift lever locks the shift rod in place, yes?

Have you bolted up the leg before trying to undo the pin? Only need one bolt in to hold the leg back in place (but do it up tight) and then the shift rod should disengage.

Cheers

Splash
03-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Team,

I have now successfully removed bottom leg after a bit of banging on the link.

Phew!

Now what do I do?

Splash

BM
03-02-2008, 12:01 PM
With the lower unit off can you move the shift rod up and down with a pair of pliers?

Does anything look out of place where the shift rod enters the gearbox?

seabug
03-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Team,

I have now successfully removed bottom leg after a bit of banging on the link.

Phew!

Now what do I do?

Splash

Buy a new motor before you do an involuntary overnighter.

Regards
seabug

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:07 PM
With the lower unit off can you move the shift rod up and down with a pair of pliers?

Does anything look out of place where the shift rod enters the gearbox?

Stand by..

Thanks BM

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:10 PM
BM - I have moved rod up and down - without any things looking out of place.

Prop shaft now spins freely when in neutral.

NExt?

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:16 PM
If I re-insert leg, do I ensure rod is in netural, top or bottom position?

When doing this, should the linkage up top be in or out?

Splash

BM
03-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Doesn't matter what gear its in when you put the lower unit back on. With the gear cable disconnected at the engien end the linkage will be free flopping so regardless of what gear its in you will be able to line up the pin again.

With the lower unit out is the shift linkage free? or still jammed? It seems to me that this linkage is your problem since the gearbox is shifting freely.

CHeers

Splash
03-02-2008, 12:34 PM
The shift linkage is free but I had to bang it in with a hammer/screwdriver to push it fully in to disengage the rod.

Before I re-insert thi sleg, should we do further investigation as to why thi sprobelm has occurred in first place?

Shift linkage now flops freely and all seems ok.

Splash

BM
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Is the shift rod bent at all?

If the shifter moves freely and the shift rod moves freely there arent' many options left.

Check the tube where the shift rod travels up. Make sure theres a freee passage through there.

Cheers

Splash
03-02-2008, 01:39 PM
BM - Much appreciate your help.

I have WON!

leg back on, shift rod linked with shift lever, and I can now move throttle forward and backwards without restriction, prop can freely rotate in CCW and CW, etc..

What another epic!

All I can think of - just cuaght somehwere....dunno where exacly.

You have all been swell - coming to my aid once again at short notice..

I'll keep that 4" grinder on ice for time being.. :-)

Have a great Sunday!

Splash

BM
03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Good stuff!

Splash
03-02-2008, 01:50 PM
BM - can/does this happen occassionally - shift rods jamming??

Splash

station-rat
03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Well done Splash
Hope this does not happen again to you
Station-rat

BM
03-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Splash,

I have never seen or heard of it. Perhaps it wasn't quite right when you reassembled it previously.

Cheers

Splash
03-02-2008, 03:22 PM
THansk BM and SRAT.

I wonder why it happend yesterday and not 4 months ago when I last removed leg/shift rod?

SPlash

polky
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Well done you guys, excellent effort Bm and RAT, splash keep the motor going while you save up for a suzie. Polky. I did have a laugh when I realized what time it was when the aurtopsy was happening, top effort fellas.

FNQCairns
03-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Thank goodness it was not the leg! just proves murphys law, take the specific tools you need to deal with this again from the splashwell, reversing 30km home wouldn't be much fun.

Talking to day to a bloke who has fished up there, seems like a person needs an Auxillery engine where you live cause no-one is going ot come get you?

cheers fnq

Splash
03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Tanks Polky.

I wonder why it happend yesterday and not 4 months ago when I last removed leg/shift rod? Can someone shed some light on this??

FNQ - Would'nt mind an auxiliaury - but slotting it onto my transom will prove difficult. THe neighbor has a 7HP he wants to get rid of - woudl this be OK?

BTW, my new VHF radio just landed.

Yes, I will bring a hammer with me next time.

SPlash

station-rat
03-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Splash
Did you get a chance to get some voltage readings, when you did have it running?
Station-rat

FNQCairns
03-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Never like the up/down linkage design, the push pull twist type looks more robust, I dunno why ithappened to you would suspect some play in the linkage somehow.

7hp is enough if your next trip out wide would be without one. Mostly a person just slaps the motor onto the hull so a 7hp with a standard prop is using only (say) 5hp of the thrust it could produce at best, 9.9hp only 6 or 7 even. Due to the engine never reaching full RPM although they still do make a racket.

The 7hp is made more worthy if the block shares the next hp up but bigger is always better if there is some wind around at the time.

cheers fnq

Splash
03-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Splash
Did you get a chance to get some voltage readings, when you did have it running?
Station-rat

Hi SRAT.

No chance - I reversed it off the trailer and travelled 4m in reverse - Period.

Can I test at home, running with muffs on?

SPlash