PDA

View Full Version : Pro Liscence Buyout

flairj
01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I had a bit of an idea lately and was wondering what other Ausfish members think..........

Is it a plausable idea or is it pie in the sky stuff?

Would you support it?

Would you volunteer your own time?

So, for the idea........ If there was a charity organisation started by Rec fisherman with the sole purpose of raising money and approaching pro fisherman and BUYING THEIR LISCENCE for fair market value and not using it.

From what I understand the recreational sector of fishing when you add up everything comes to far more than the pro sector. Now I'm not saying it would try and cripple the food industry but maybe buy out the buggers who'll net anything for cat food or fertilizer (I've don't think I've ever eaten Mullet).

What do you think?

Josh

Horse
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
We are already paying enough in taxes. If a fishery is deemed to be unsustainable then fisheries management should determine a fair and equitable method of reducing commercial effort. It has been done in many parts of the world and is part of the rationale behind resource management

Neil

GAFYM
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Geez...You have to be in La La land. The true pro fisherman, and i am not one, has a right to earn a living just like anyone else and they are probably just as eco-friendly as u and me, after all, it is their livelyhood. I have a good mate who is a pro fisherman, as was his whole family before him and they certainly "DO NOT" keep anything for "CAT" or "DOG" food. Try cruising the Brisbane R. bank of a night time and see what the "Ones we missed" from overseas countries keep.
Not just fish, but all the undersize crabs as well.
As for buying out their licence....Approach E.P.A. to do it......Yeah.....Right

outsiderskip
02-02-2008, 05:49 AM
flairj
u must support that imported crap poluted fish
if u dont have pros some people will never have fresh seafood
besides mullet is full off omeaga oil which is very healthy
cant beat fresh sea mullet

pete

Sea-Dog
02-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Speaking of "La La Land" - Pros being eco-friendly :o

When was the last time a pro fisherman stopped fishing when there were fish available and their holding bins not full? ("Oh, I think that's all that the environment can sustain for today. No more Orange roughy or Southern Bluefin Tuna today thank you - move away from the boat please.)

That's like gold miners limiting the amount of gold they dig out of the ground so that they can save some for the weekend prospectors.

What about aquaculture?

Sure, you don't get the variety, but the reliability of supply and quality control must be positives.

That way, those that don't fish, have a supply of fresh "sea-food" available.

WHALEOIL
02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
We are already paying enough in taxes.

I think of my fishing license as the best $20 piece of tackle I buy each year.

spindles
02-02-2008, 07:40 AM
And when we get rid of the pro's, then we can get started on the farmers from poisoning the waterways with their runoff, then stop the population grouth from poluting the water with swerage. surely someone else can add to this list of who we can get rid of. spindles

flairj
02-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Horse, GAYFM and outsiderskip......... I don't think any of you read my post.

Horse: What does a charity have to do with how much tax you pay? Look at the three sentences that end with a question mark. Your answer is obviously no if you are ranting about how much tax you pay.

GAYFM: have another read too. I don't want to put the pro fisherman on the street. Pay him "fair market value". As a rough example: He makes $50 000 a year fishing, then buy his liscence for 3 years salary (and before you start, this is an example. I don't know how much a pro's liscence is worth or what they make). If you got 3 years redundancy pay I'm sure you'd survive or you wouldn't sell.

outsiderskip: "Now I'm not saying it would try and cripple the food industry" and pardon my ignorance on this matter but what do they use all the tonnes of mullet they net off the beaches? because I don't think people eat all of that.

Josh

Let the flames begin

NAGG
02-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey this is not pie in the sky stuff
In NSW it is a reality & part of the reasoning behind our Fishing licence.

Many of the NSW estuaries are now free of Professional netting ( even our beloved botany Bay). ..... The fishing has improved immensely in these systems over the last 6-8 years..... I also believe that long line licences are also being bought out:thumbup:
The first few years ..... most of us were scratching our heads & saying where was the money going ( consolidated revenue::) ). Actually majority of the funds are managed by REC fish ..... With distribution now going to other ventures like fish cleaning tables & the formation of artificial reefs...( fishing groups can apply for funds).... Areas like Botany bay + other estuaries ...are now annually stocked with Jewfish. We also have the popular FAD network ..... all paid out of licence fees

I know many dont like the idea of licences (over taxed already) ..... but having a well managed system does allow for things like pro licence buy outs & the expenditure of funds on fishing related projects.
I know I dont mind paying the $30 annual fee.

Nagg

RayDeR
02-02-2008, 09:15 AM
G'day Flairj!

What you call a charity should really be called a "Not for profit organisation" (NFP) or a Non Government Organisation (NGO).

It does refer to our taxes because NFPs usually get tax concessions and sometimes government grants. It also refers directly to our taxes as governments are alreasdy involved in "buy back schemes" for professional licences.

How would we decide which licences to buy back? Buy the cheapest and maybe buy out an ineffectual fisherman who has been looking for an escape route because of poor gear and low returns?

Or buy the highest priced and get the efficient guys with the biggest catch/ profit from their operation?

As NAGG points out these buy back schemes already operate in NSW and I think there have been some in Queensland.

I understand the mullet caught and seen on beaches goes for export, Australian markets and to the pet food industry. I also understand the mullet roe attracts high prices on overseas markets. The bait industry would be a significant consumer as well.

Ray De R

Poseidon
02-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Surely there would be some Pro Fishermen just begging to be bought out?
It would be like trying to sell your house sitting at the end of the new runway, who would else would but it, you could pass in onto the kids but they don't want it.

I like your idea and as Nagg indicated it has been happening in NSW for sometime, made more easy with the need to purchase a fishing licence each year. Have a look at some of the facilities at boat ramps provided by this same $30. Yet we in QLD are quite happy to whinge and moan about the very thought of a fishing licence and belly-ache all day about who how our taxes should be spent but it has been proven that a properly managed licensing scheme (not a tax)directs the funds back to those who will benefit the most, the USER. How would the fish stocking in our wonderful impoundments go if there was never the SIP fee?

Whilst we oppose any thought of an introduced fishing license then we will continue to beg and scrape for facilities which would improve our pastime.

We are talking about a fee less than a carton of beer which would ultimately see improvements similar to those already realised in NSW.

trueblue
02-02-2008, 09:55 AM
[quote=flairj;(I've don't think I've ever eaten Mullet).

Josh[/quote]

Maybe you should try eating some. Just trim a little more off the belly than usual (bit fatty) and you will be amazed at how good it is to eat. Just like some other species, it needs to be handled well, and prepared well.

Good, cheap, high omega 3 fish.

Just have to stop thinking that it looks like a big bait, then it tastes great...

Cheers

trueblue
02-02-2008, 09:58 AM
As a rough example: He makes $50 000 a year fishing, then buy his liscence for 3 years salary
Let the flames begin

I seriously hope that our pros are not earning just a measely $50 000 per year for all their hard work if that is their sole income..............

Wouldn't be worth getting out of bed in the morning!

Cheers

crab man
02-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Flairj ,
the fish in pet foods are mainly carp etc etc mullet and other beach netted fish is worth good money as alredy meantioned by others in the post. as also meantion there has been a buy back schem in place for years now, as for your idea i would think that the only pros who would sell to you are the ones not using there licens or dont have anoth shares to opperate there license it works on a very complex system now and they are reducing the netting numbers every year also the river netters.i think dpi have made it clear that they want to continue reducing these "high impact fishers". it would take alot of money also a license is valued by indorsements held each one around 50k the avg fishermen holds 3-4 indorsmenets so thats 150-200k just for the license & then as you said 3 years of income as compo ( as many of the fishermen are to old or set in there ways to go and re-train in a different industry in this day and age you need a university degree or tafe ticket to clean a shitter) at say around 60 plus k a year as income adds up to 180k min so a total of a min of around 380k per fisher, i think its " pie in the sky stuff " mate , not having a dig at you as you probley just want to protect the reco industry which is good champ but we need fresh sea food cought from our australian waters bye our australian fishermen and process workers or the only stuff you will be able to buy will be marked "imported" like the pound prawns that come in , raised under chicken farmes so the farmer feeds the chickens and the shit feeds the prawns and then we import them lose jobs put our waters in risk of diase....but atleast we get cheap prawns right......:'( .....
Craig :)
P.S im a commerical fishermen but im happy with the way the fisheries / dpi etc etc are mangering our industry i like you think we need more buy backs which will keep happening and when i have kids they will be able to go catch a feed of fish as will all our childeren and grand childern and so on so on

Xahn1960
02-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Is it a plausable idea or is it pie in the sky stuff?

Probably pie in the sky, but heh.... its good to see people coming up with possible solutions to what is obviously a growing problem.... I reckon push it and see what happens, maybe it will generate other ideas along the same lines.

Bill.

NAGG
02-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I seriously hope that our pros are not earning just a measely $50 000 per year for all their hard work if that is their sole income..............

Wouldn't be worth getting out of bed in the morning!

Cheers

You might be surprised at how little they make ( specially in the estuaries) ..... I cant remember exactly what the Vietnamese prawn trawlers were making in Botany bay ...... but it was pretty low - $30K pa something like that..... & their were around 20 boats working the bay.
Nagg

WHALEOIL
02-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I know many dont like the idea of licences (over taxed already) ..... but having a well managed system does allow for things like pro licence buy outs & the expenditure of funds on fishing related projects.
I know I dont mind paying the $30 annual fee.

I scratch my head regarding the attitude towards a fishing license up north. The improvement down here is very noticeable.
A lot of people cringe at the thought of spending a few bucks on a license but are happy to suggest a reef building program and drag fridges out to a spot a turn them into a reef.
What sort of cost would go into that, even if you were aloud to do it after you have cut through the red tape?

Pay a few bucks each year and it will be done for you.

NAGG
02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Surely there would be some Pro Fishermen just begging to be bought out?
It would be like trying to sell your house sitting at the end of the new runway, who would else would but it, you could pass in onto the kids but they don't want it.

I like your idea and as Nagg indicated it has been happening in NSW for sometime, made more easy with the need to purchase a fishing licence each year. Have a look at some of the facilities at boat ramps provided by this same $30. Yet we in QLD are quite happy to whinge and moan about the very thought of a fishing licence and belly-ache all day about who how our taxes should be spent but it has been proven that a properly managed licensing scheme (not a tax)directs the funds back to those who will benefit the most, the USER. How would the fish stocking in our wonderful impoundments go if there was never the SIP fee?

Whilst we oppose any thought of an introduced fishing license then we will continue to beg and scrape for facilities which would improve our pastime.

We are talking about a fee less than a carton of beer which would ultimately see improvements similar to those already realised in NSW.

One thing that has always stuck out (complaints) are the poor facilities in Qld

We too had poor facilities but they are improving significantly.
I now have a new ( pontoon) to use at one of my local ramps
Check this site out .... to see what is possible:thumbsup:
Nagg
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/your-fees

trueblue
02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
You might be surprised at how little they make ( specially in the estuaries) ..... I cant remember exactly what the Vietnamese prawn trawlers were making in Botany bay ...... but it was pretty low - $30K pa something like that..... & their were around 20 boats working the bay.
Nagg

I would be very disappointed to hear confirmation that fishing pros are not earning a decent income after all of their expenses etc.

As mentioned by Outsiderskip above, if we want to eat clean uncontaminated fish, we have to have Australian caught wild fish instead of the badly farmed asian crap. That means that we need Australian Pro fishermen, who need to be able to earn a decent living just like everyone else.

Cheers

Mick

trueblue
02-02-2008, 11:52 AM
I scratch my head regarding the attitude towards a fishing license up north. The improvement down here is very noticeable.
A lot of people cringe at the thought of spending a few bucks on a license but are happy to suggest a reef building program and drag fridges out to a spot a turn them into a reef.
What sort of cost would go into that, even if you were aloud to do it after you have cut through the red tape?

Pay a few bucks each year and it will be done for you.

I would be happy to pay $30 per year for a fishing license if I knew it was going to go towards infrastructure improvements etc.

$30 out of the many thousands of dollars a year most of us spend on fishing is of no significance when looked at as a percentage of our total costs.

Cheers

Mick

RayDeR
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
G'day!

I appreciate that all rec fishers in NSW love paying their licence fees. (Don't mention the Queenslanders from the Gold Coast who don't fish there now).

What hapens to the millions of dollars on GST that we pay on our fishing gear?

I wont mention tax on boating fuel.

Do the yellow raincoats in NSW share crop on a single licence?

Ray de R

trueblue
02-02-2008, 12:27 PM
G'day!

Ray de R

Goes straight to general taxation revenue, same as all other GST revenue regardless of the product sold.

You can't expect that just because GST was on a fishing product that this tax would end up building new boat ramps and pontoons... Wish that were the case, but it ain't going to happen. Taxation income and GST are all federal government revenue, not the State Government.

Right or wrong about whether or not the state gov't should be spending more money on our boating facilities, they haven't, and won't, and we can't realistically expect that to change unless they recieve some further revenue to fix it.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I knew that fishing license money would go towards improved facilities, I would happily pay for it.

I want change to happen to get improved fishing and boating facilities, not just continue the winging and moaning about taxes to the government who will never do anything unless there is more revenue.

Cheers

Mick

WHALEOIL
02-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Goes straight to general taxation revenue, same as all other GST revenue regardless of the product sold.

You can't expect that just because GST was on a fishing product that this tax would end up building new boat ramps and pontoons... Wish that were the case, but it ain't going to happen. Taxation income and GST are all federal government revenue, not the State Government.

Right or wrong about whether or not the state gov't should be spending more money on our boating facilities, they haven't, and won't, and we can't realistically expect that to change unless they recieve some further revenue to fix it.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I knew that fishing license money would go towards improved facilities, I would happily pay for it.

I want change to happen to get improved fishing and boating facilities, not just continue the winging and moaning about taxes to the government who will never do anything unless there is more revenue.

Cheers

Mick

Mick. Have a look at the website Naags posted.

NAGG
02-02-2008, 12:33 PM
G'day!

I appreciate that all rec fishers in NSW love paying their licence fees. (Don't mention the Queenslanders from the Gold Coast who don't fish there now).

Ray de R

Ray ..... I can tell you here & now , these type of discussions were well & truly happening prior to the introduction of the licence .............. & none of us were happy about it ...... (we all could see it just going into government coffers...... another tax

These days ..... I dont hear anything against them from my fishing mates! ..... & only positive comments with regard to improvements in fishing & facilities.
$30 .... is a small price to pay annually ..... when you can now actively target Jewfish in a place like Botany bay where 5 years ago ..... A jew would be a lucky capture!
The GSTs paid are Feral taxes ..... not state

Obviously most negative comments would be coming from Salt water anglers only ....... because I'm pretty sure the Fresh Water anglers can see the obvious benefits of the SIP ..... & the magnificent fishery that now exists!

If you want to see improvements in your fishery & facilities your going to need to think along these lines .......... because you aint gunna see money come from government::)
Nagg

Poseidon
02-02-2008, 12:36 PM
G'day!

Ray de R

Can we just admit that we have no control over where the GST revenue goes and move on.

I am quite happy where my GST money is spent, education, health, police , aged care, roads and many other services that allow us to fish in the first place.

And I am more than prepared to pay a small fee each year that will directly provide funding for better facilities for recreational fishermen.

Its $30 a year.........surely we can afford that to have facilities specific to our pastime built and maintained.

RayDeR
02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Ray ..... I can tell you here & now , these type of discussions were well & truly happening prior to the introduction of the licence .............. & none of us were happy about it ...... (we all could see it just going into government coffers...... another tax

The GSTs paid are Feral taxes ..... not state

Obviously most negative comments would be coming from Salt water anglers only ....... because I'm pretty sure the Fresh Water anglers can see the obvious benefits of the SIP ..... & the magnificent fishery that now exists!

Nagg

Gday Nagg!

Has something changed? http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/BD/2003-04/04bd072.htm says:
The A New Tax System (Commonwealth-State Financial Arrangements) Act 1999 (the Act) is the legislative authority for general purpose payments. The Act builds on and incorporates, as a Schedule, the Intergovernmental Agreement on the Reform of Commonwealth-State Financial Relations (IGA). The IGA sets out the terms under which GST revenue is paid to the States. It was endorsed by the Commonwealth, State and Territory heads of government in June 1999.
The main features of the IGA are:

the Commonwealth must pass all GST revenue (net of administrative costs) to the States
the States may spend the GST as they wish
As to freshwater stocking: in Queensland we do pay a License fee to fish in stocked impoundments (eg Hinze Dam on the Gold Coast).

We have seen some improvement in facilities here on the Gold Coast since I have been herein the past ten years (Grand Hotel ramp, Sundale Bridge ramp and the Spit Ramps that I know of). However, with Council elections only a few weeks away , the fishermen seem very quiet here on the Gold Coast on pushing their cause to Council.

Ray De R

NAGG
02-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Gday Nagg!

Has something changed? http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/BD/2003-04/04bd072.htm says:
The A New Tax System (Commonwealth-State Financial Arrangements) Act 1999 (the Act) is the legislative authority for general purpose payments. The Act builds on and incorporates, as a Schedule, the Intergovernmental Agreement on the Reform of Commonwealth-State Financial Relations (IGA). The IGA sets out the terms under which GST revenue is paid to the States. It was endorsed by the Commonwealth, State and Territory heads of government in June 1999.
The main features of the IGA are:

the Commonwealth must pass all GST revenue (net of administrative costs) to the States
the States may spend the GST as they wishAs to freshwater stocking: in Queensland we do pay a License fee to fish in stocked impoundments (eg Hinze Dam on the Gold Coast).

We have seen some improvement in facilities here on the Gold Coast since I have been herein the past ten years (Grand Hotel ramp, Sundale Bridge ramp and the Spit Ramps that I know of). However, with Council elections only a few weeks away , the fishermen seem very quiet here on the Gold Coast on pushing their cause to Council.

Ray De R

G'day Ray

What was the last Feral budget surplus .... $15,$16Billion:P
Mate as I said ..... dont expect much from government......:( & I do know what your saying
Cheers
Nagg

samson
02-02-2008, 02:26 PM
The average line fishing pro only earns $15000 to $40000 a year weather permitting, to do any better than that you have to be suicidal and go in any weather or drag nets or use fish traps which you will find that most pro's just like amateurs don't agree with as its not a sustainable way of fishing that is why some of these practices are not allowed in some states.
But if you're a pro like me and enjoy the thrill of the fight catching all varieties of fish then you must enjoy your work because you will never have much more than a couple of coins to rub together.
Cheers samson

PinHead
02-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Can we just admit that we have no control over where the GST revenue goes and move on.

I am quite happy where my GST money is spent, education, health, police , aged care, roads and many other services that allow us to fish in the first place.

And I am more than prepared to pay a small fee each year that will directly provide funding for better facilities for recreational fishermen.

Its $30 a year.........surely we can afford that to have facilities specific to our pastime built and maintained.

ypu already pay that in your trailer rego..but where are the extra facilities? not too much happening on that front..and you want to give the Qld Govt more money to do this..they already get it and do not use it where it is supposed to be used.

Poseidon
02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
ypu already pay that in your trailer rego..but where are the extra facilities? not too much happening on that front..and you want to give the Qld Govt more money to do this..they already get it and do not use it where it is supposed to be used.

Yes, I would have no problem giving a fund that was set-up to directly improve facilities for recreational fishing a measly $30.00 a year. I already am happy to pay the SIP fee each year to fish the fresh and would gladly contribute for the times that I do fish the salt.

Why is it that we all seem happy to pay anything upto $100 to play a round of golf.....(surely the GST tax on golf clubs and cart hire should cover that) ....but when it comes to opening our purse for a total sum of around $30 per annum our pockets seem locked tight, never to see the light of day.

Puzzles me every time this subject comes up.

I bet you opposed the ambulance levy as well.

PinHead
02-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Yes, I would have no problem giving a fund that was set-up to directly improve facilities for recreational fishing a measly $30.00 a year. I already am happy to pay the SIP fee each year to fish the fresh and would gladly contribute for the times that I do fish the salt.

Why is it that we all seem happy to pay anything upto $100 to play a round of golf.....(surely the GST tax on golf clubs and cart hire should cover that) ....but when it comes to opening our purse for a total sum of around $30 per annum our pockets seem locked tight, never to see the light of day.

Puzzles me every time this subject comes up.

I bet you opposed the ambulance levy as well.

as I said..we already pay a levy for this purpose..in the trailer rego.

and yes..I did oppose the ambulance levy..people are now using them as taqxis to go shopping.

flairj
02-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Whew............ after the first few responses I thought this thread may die. This is the kind of discusson I was after.

I don't know the nuts and bolts, it's just an idea that I had and after reading a lot of what has been written now I see that there are thoughts on this subject. I don't want to see seafood imported but I also don't want to see a pro who is doing it hard to feed his family, have to really fish a place to the brink to keep afloat.

Also, I think my new motto will be "save your oceans, kill a cat!"

Josh

disorderly
02-02-2008, 05:18 PM
yep some real tight arse cynics around over $30....less than a carton of beer.
Through license fee's in NSW my oldies are already seeing the results even in small country areas through funding grants for restocking the dams(some good fishing to be had in Copeton ,Glenlyon and Pindari these days) and other facilities cleaning tables,shelters etc. etc.
Now if they can just do something about some of the ramps that end far short of the water due to low dam levels.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

NAGG
02-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Our trailer rego fees go to the RTA ( Roads & Traffic Authority) ..... no where near a ramp
Nagg

NAGG
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Whew............ after the first few responses I thought this thread may die. This is the kind of discusson I was after.

I don't know the nuts and bolts, it's just an idea that I had and after reading a lot of what has been written now I see that there are thoughts on this subject. I don't want to see seafood imported but I also don't want to see a pro who is doing it hard to feed his family, have to really fish a place to the brink to keep afloat.

Also, I think my new motto will be "save your oceans, kill a cat!"

Josh

Josh ..... except for the fee ....... What is there to complain about:ears:
The benefits gained will be around for many years to come8-) As long as it is well managed
Nagg

Poseidon
02-02-2008, 05:46 PM
and yes..I did oppose the ambulance levy..people are now using them as taqxis to go shopping.

I guess that the Government couldn't foresee that those pesky heart-attack victims would want to pick up some last minute bargains from Woolies on their way to hospital.;D ;D

disorderly
02-02-2008, 05:54 PM
I guess that the Government couldn't foresee that those pesky heart-attack victims would want to pick up some last minute bargains from Woolies on their way to hospital.;D ;D

You're a funny man indeed.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif

samson
02-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't disagree about the subject of a licence fee but if its anything like the way they distribrute funds in northern NSW like the tweed we get nothing for our buck except a bigger boat for fisheries and a new car and all this acheives is that we pay a fee for a licence so fisheries can fine you more often for not having a licence which ithink is just a big scam.

RayDeR
02-02-2008, 06:55 PM
G"day!

I would pay more than $30 if i trusted the government to spend it. Premier Beatty wanted to call us the Smart State. Weare actually the Stuffed State. Look at every area of state responsibility. Roads, rail, nothing towards capital city buses like other states, schools, hospitals, ambulance, police, DPI not able to handle horse virus issues, water, electricity.

And you think you can convince them recreational fishing matters? Easier to ban it. !!

Ray De R

Jeremy87
02-02-2008, 07:13 PM
For what it's worth Josh i reakon it's not a bad idea. 1 less trawler means a reduction in habitat damage and by catch kill, the other trawlers cannot increase the amount of damage they do so straight away you have a benifit. If you remove enought trawlers to have a significant impact then the fishery should improve with time, the remaining trawlers will have increased catches and the market will eventually stabilise. . . . in theory.

What happened to those fishing party blokes? If people were serious about this then it should be set up at the next bay closure protest rally.

As for paying for licenses both my nsw permit and sip are up to date.

oldboot
02-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong........ but I understand ther is an obligation to use a commercial licence if you have one.....so I think the concept of a private buy out is sunk on that ground.

As far as clean & vaible.........is netting tiny creeks like, Tingapla & Eprapah sustainable and are these creeks clean......would you eat prawns if you knew they came out of the brisbane river in the city reaches.

I'm not drawing any conclusions on how clean the river is or that prawns are currently netted in the city reaches, but where do people think variuos stuff comes from.

Now I believe we need commercial fishermen & I have no problem with that, but there are cretain case by case areas that need to be closed to commercial netting, how can it be sustainable to net a small inshore area on a regular basis.

There are a number of very easy to find examples of improved fish stocks after cesation of netting.

Unfortunatly you cant just look at the water and know how much fish is there.

From end to end this is a hard question...... but it needs to be asked and it needs a wise answer.......we need to push for the question to be asked and make it known we (all of us) expect a wise answer......... not the half baked stuff we are getting from the EPA and the DPI.

cheers

nigelr
03-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Excellent post Josh, great to debate this issue with input from all sides, NSW and QLD rec fishers as well as some pros giving their angle.
The Licence system works in NSW, end of story.
There have been numerous pro buy-outs, I'm sure given the sentiment of NSW rec fishos in regards to this issue, this trend will continue.
As licence holders, NSW rec anglers have a legitimate right to be regarded as stakeholders by the DPI, and as such to have their interests represented.
The system is NOT perfect, and is IS slow moving, as one would expect from a beaurocracy.
However it is a damned site better than what was happening in NSW previously.
All I can say to those QLDers who oppose paying a $30 per annum fee for a licence set-up similar to NSW (just for example) is are you serious?
Wouldn't be too many wouldn't spend way more than that for a night on the turps...........
No-one is going to be waving a magic wand folks, you will have to make it happen yourselves.
Jeremy 87 makes a good point re the Fishing Party, IMO.
Best of luck with it!

Xahn1960
03-02-2008, 09:01 AM
" a $30 fishing license " I'd be happy to pay far more if I could trust our government to actually use it for improvements. But that is a big problem isn't it ?? Can we TRUST our government ?? They don't have a good track record. I wonder how much of the fees fron NSW gets used elswhere.

Bill.

NAGG
03-02-2008, 09:33 AM
" a $30 fishing license " I'd be happy to pay far more if I could trust our government to actually use it for improvements. But that is a big problem isn't it ?? Can we TRUST our government ?? They don't have a good track record. I wonder how much of the fees fron NSW gets used elswhere.

Bill.

Bill

The reason it works in NSW is that the Funds are Held in trust( Recreational Fishing Trusts) & then managed by a committee of fishoes.
From what I gather all expenditure is fisheries related & that includes enforcement.
Fishing groups are able to apply for funds to use on worthwhile projects too
Some great projects have come out of it ....... though it took time.

I think to date there are now 30 estuaries in NSW that are listed as recreational fishing havens ( all the pros have been bought out ..... a couple of systems still allow some limited pro fishing) ......... This was only possible because of the funds raised from a licence :thumbup: ...... It certainly wasn't going to happen any other way

Nagg