PDA

View Full Version : The flow on effect - Richmond Fish Kill

stonecold
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
The devastation caused by the Richmond Fish kill and its implications on the wider community has had pretty good exposure on this site within varying threads.

However over a coffee this morning whilst reading the paper, more specifically the fishing reports, I was reminded of a secondary issue. I usually flick to the fishing section and read the reports. Then check to see where the heaviest weekly species was caught. That cursory glance is generally followed by a sigh of anguish at another 4kg+ lizard draged out of the Richmond.

I didnt have to worry about that this morning as all the estuary species weighed in for the week were caught at EVANS HEAD. As a matter of fact from memory all the heaviest sp fish (outside fish included) weighed in came from Evans Head.

I was relieved that the biggest lizard was only 20gms heavier than the biggest whiting (580 odd gms) much better than a 7kg+ model, however it started me thinking about the smaller systems close to Ballina. Systems such as Evans and Brunswick, and what the effect on those systems will be if the Richmond is closed for the next 6 months.

I wonder if DPI took into consideration the effect of fishermen migration when they closed the Richmond? The Evans and Brunswick systems are creeks compared to the Richmond, I wonder how long they can sustain the added pressure?

Just a thought.

Cheers

ida
01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
gday mate i dont think it could be any worse than the fishing classic they have at evans. a lot of fish leave the river then ? cheers ida

ida
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
gday mate i dont think it could be any worse than the fishing classic they have at evans. a lot of fish leave the river then ? cheers ida>:(

stonecold
02-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Yes thats true mate it certainly cops a flogging during that week. I see squidgey makes reference to both Evans and Bruswick possibly copping it in his column in the latest Bush & Beach.