PDA

View Full Version : Mate's

screaming reels
31-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Has anyone gone 1/2's with a mate in a boat?How have you kept a balance with maintance,useage and upgrading.Would hate to destroy a long friendship over a boat,still undecided:D

Brumby
31-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Yeah did it years ago when I was serving articles and couldn't afford one on my own. Worked ok, mostly because we would probably have gone out together anyway, even if one of us owned the boat outright. Boat was eventually stolen and we just split the insurance money, were ready to move on by then I guess.

You'd need to be pretty sure upfront exactly how you plan to use it and it helps if you've got similar ideas on how things are to be looked after. I'd suggest a kitty for the regular costs, rego, annual service and a bit left over for little things that can happen along the way, say a seal thanks to picking up line on the prop.

Good luck though if the motor goes bang for no good reason, especially if only one of you was out on it at the time. Saw one of those situations go very sour.

joeT
31-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Mate, its not worth it. All you need is to not agree on something small, like an upgrade, maintenance, someone taking it on an extended trip, or financial troubles of either party, and things can go sour. What will you do if you think the boat needs a service every 100hrs but your mate thinks not? What happens one one party starts using the boat more often than the other?

Then one party ends up buying the boat outright, or it get sold cheaply,
and in either case the friendship is in jeopardy.

I bought my boat off a guy who tried to share, didn't work out, he had to buy out his mate's half, and then he needed the money and sold the boat to me.

You are better off getting a cheap tinny that's all yours to enjoy.

Poodroo
31-01-2008, 08:25 PM
All the more reason for me not to feel guilty about sharing costs on the day if I take someone out I guess. I went solo on my decision to invest in a boat and let me say it does stretch the budget out a lot. It costs a lot of money to invest in a boat of any description when you think about it, just that the bigger the boat the bigger the outlay is. But for those who ever get to go out with someone in a boat that they are paying dearly to have the privilege of owning do not hesitate to help out with the finances on the day of your trip and when you get the boat out of the water at least stick around to offer to help clean it and pack it away and I guarantee that you will be asked out again in the future. Going halves in a boat could work with a mate but personally I would not like to risk a friendship in that way if things go sour.

Poodroo

stick
31-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Two blokes i know who were both new at the game signed up for one of those easy finance qu~~~~ex deals. Didnt take long before one wouldnt venture outside from seasickness and the other fellow (ex neighbour) was into small pelagics. It was like some bitter divorce thing. Sold the boat 6 months later for a huge lose and i doubt have spoken since. Be careful. Unexpected things pop up. Could you buy your partner out ? If so maybe you should buy your own and just split the days running costs

ozbizweb
31-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Has anyone gone 1/2's with a mate in a boat?How have you kept a balance with maintance,useage and upgrading.Would hate to destroy a long friendship over a boat,still undecided:D

I would go without rather than do it again even though it was always great and we are still good friends.

Maintaining a marriage is dead-easy by comparison.

nigelr
01-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Geez Oz, sounds like a flippin' nightmare!
Definitely go your own way if you can SR, nothing like being your own master in this situation.
Worth going without for a while as your savings grow. Outright ownership means you can do what you want, when you want, well worth the outlay IMO.
Poodroo is on the money, for mine. Any good mates you take out will respect your outlay of $$$ and chuck in for fuel, bait etc. and help with the clean-up afterwards. Voila, instant deckies!
Cheers.

BaitThrower
01-02-2008, 07:24 AM
There are reasons why they say to never go into business with family or friends :-/

GBC
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Done it twice now and all is good.

Look at it like business - write up a memorandum to cover servicing, get out clauses etc. We don't have a pro rata thing about engine hours etc - too messy - and if he's doing more hours than you there's something obviously wrong with you.

Every thing is cut in half (costs), unless it is covered by the ######## clause. eg:

'I was being a ########, drove the boat drunk and hit a charter boat and insurance won't cover me - you're up for half'.................not.

Choose your partner well and you can get twice the boat for half the cost, and more importantly half the ongoing maint, insurance, rego etc.

polky
01-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Brothinlaw and his best mate did it, they don,t talk now big blue over usage of boat. Two lads up here did same one lost his job,needed money force sale on boat over half not happy big fist fight now the don,t talk. Polky. PS You can buy my VC for ten grand good bay and offshore boat then you have your own.

Xahn1960
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Not worth it !!!! Whoever coined the phrase " Partnerships ruin Friendships " was right on the money.... Been there done that...... disasterous results !!! you will appreciate more what you struggle to attain.

Bill.

robersl
01-02-2008, 08:28 PM
i would not even sell my last boat to my mate even though nothing was wrong but would feel guilty if something went wrong after selling it to him so he has his and now i have a new boat we just look at the weather if we are going to goup the passage would normally use his boat and for the bay my boat as it is larger if something goes wrong weather wise

shane

screaming reels
02-02-2008, 06:52 AM
g,day guys, thanks for the replys have taken things into consideration and belive i will be better off waiting for a while but its bloody hard watching you guys talk about your boats when i look where my boat used to be and all i can do is think of the ex and the money i give it each week,if theres a will theres a way thanks brent