PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch

Big_Sausa
31-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Guys, Newbie here - looking for some advice on anchor winches - i have a seaswirl striper 2601 WA (26 Footer )which i bought new in Florida last year while i was there and shipped back to Queensland, and yes im sick of pulling on anchor rope - looking for any good advice on Winches that would be suitable for my boat, reliable and of course value for money. All advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Greg :)

Thebuffalo
31-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Greg, Look at the woolfe winches from SA. They are not cheap but I think they are fantastic. I have one fitted to my cat and love it. You may be able to hide it away down in your anchor locker as well as they are a bit of an eyesore.

Do a search on this site and have a look at their website. Certainly worth considering.

Cheers

BGG
31-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Greg
Are you intending to use all chain or a rope/chain combo?

Big_Sausa
31-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Rope & Chain Combo - thanks mate
regards Greg

BGG
31-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I'd have to agree with Thebuffalo then. Woolf is the only manufacturer I know of with a winch that suits the rope chain combo.

Fish Guts
31-01-2008, 04:12 PM
dont think you could beat a muir winch.

www.muir.com.au (http://www.muir.com.au)

leezor
31-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi Guys, Newbie here - looking for some advice on anchor winches - i have a seaswirl striper 2601 WA (26 Footer )which i bought new in Florida last year while i was there and shipped back to Queensland, and yes im sick of pulling on anchor rope - looking for any good advice on Winches that would be suitable for my boat, reliable and of course value for money. All advice greatly appreciated.

Kind regards Greg :)

Hi Greg, I have been researching putting one on my Striper 2300 which I have just purchased. I read on www.seastriper.com (http://www.seastriper.com) that due to the anchor well layout only a few brands are suitable. Jump on there and do a search, there are plenty of good threads with heaps of pics of step by step winch installs.

Good luck

PS can't wait till mine gets here, its gonna be a long couple of months ;D

snelly1971
31-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd have to agree with Thebuffalo then. Woolf is the only manufacturer I know of with a winch that suits the rope chain combo.

Muir winches take both, I am unsure of mine think it is a VS6000 or something like that, takes both chain and rope and works a treat

Mick

Ps....But i do also like the look of the woolf winches, just the price is a bit steep

frank100
31-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Big_Sausa,

You could always build your own !

See my post "Recipe for an anchor winch" (that is if you were as silly as me).

Sorry to be of no help at all !

Frank

Big_Sausa
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Greg, I have been researching putting one on my Striper 2300 which I have just purchased. I read on www.seastriper.com (http://www.seastriper.com) that due to the anchor well layout only a few brands are suitable. Jump on there and do a search, there are plenty of good threads with heaps of pics of step by step winch installs.

Good luck

PS can't wait till mine gets here, its gonna be a long couple of months ;D

Hi Lee thanks for that mate , i am already a member on that site but was looking for some Aussie options. Where did you buy your 2301 from - local or USA. Is it a new boat and what engine or engines are you getting. I look forward to your reply :)

Regards Greg ??

leezor
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Lee thanks for that mate , i am already a member on that site but was looking for some Aussie options. Where did you buy your 2301 from - local or USA. Is it a new boat and what engine or engines are you getting. I look forward to your reply :)

Regards Greg ??

Hi Greg,

I think I remember reading some of your posts, yours has twin 150 Yammy's from memory on a new 2601? I bought a 1999 model 2300 from Florida, it leaves in a couple of weeks.
It has a 1999 200hp 2 stoke Johno on it at the moment, but I have a 2007 225hp Suzuki 4 stroke which I will be putting on it once I get it home.

Like you I am sick of pulling up the anchor as well, but lucky for me I have two teenage boys to do it for me :) Well, that is until they whinge and bitch and I end up doing iyt myself anyway. Once the boss allows me to I will be getting a windlass, I gotta let the dust settle for now though, importing the Striper has strirred things up ;)

Lee