PDA

View Full Version : Whitsundays Help Needed

NEWBY
31-01-2008, 01:46 PM
G'day to all. Finally my old Bertram is finished and ready for a decent cruise so I have decided to head up to the Whitsunday around mid March for 3 or 4 weeks. When I drove her down from Cooktown 2 years ago I spent 2 days there and vowed I would go back some day. Well some day is here.
So my questions are,
Where do I find Mud and/or sand crabs and
Where do I find the very tasty painted cray fish?
Any help would be appreciated.
I will be in Airlie beach on the arvo of 20th March for a night so if anyone up there wants to catch up for a drink, let me know.

BobbyJ123
01-02-2008, 04:31 AM
G'day mate, any of the bommies around the islands will produce painted crays, but you must dive for them. Any of the creeks where mud and mangroves is where the muddies are, especially around the Proserpine river. Have not seen any sandies for years!!
For muddies, you would do better at Murray Ck, or Victor Ck, near Seaforth. Plenty of creeks in the area, though quite shallow in places.

NEWBY
01-02-2008, 07:00 AM
G'day mate, any of the bommies around the islands will produce painted crays, but you must dive for them. Any of the creeks where mud and mangroves is where the muddies are, especially around the Proserpine river. Have not seen any sandies for years!!
For muddies, you would do better at Murray Ck, or Victor Ck, near Seaforth. Plenty of creeks in the area, though quite shallow in places.
Thanks mate, I will be out around the islands so what about Nara Inlet and places like that?

BobbyJ123
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
I would say that both Nara and Macona will be virtually "dead' due to the huge numbers of boaties overnighting there. Gulnare Inlet on the south side of Whitsunday would be the same, "dead".
Some good bommies on the west side of Hook for fishing.
Be careful where you fish, due to the number of "green zones". I suggest that you get a copy of the MPZ10-WHITSUNDAY zoning map.

mik01
01-02-2008, 08:02 AM
can we see some pics of the bertie?

Brumby
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
can we see some pics of the bertie?

Yeah, pictures would be good and definitely a full report back afterwards. Gotta have something to dream about.

Cheers and enjoy

NEWBY
28-02-2008, 04:17 PM
As requested. A quick picie of the Berty.
Look for it at the Whitsundays from March 21st to April 12th.
Yeehaaaaaa.