PDA

View Full Version : GPS/Sounder Options

Local_Guy
31-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Ok. here's my delema.

When i bought my boat i was origionaly going to purchase a Lowrance 522 colour sounder/gps system with map. total cost approx $1500.

Instead i went for the lesser of 2 weavels and bought the Humminbird 727 Sounder/chartplotter. total cost $920... (price includes GPS receiver addon)

I went the cheaper so i could spend more on rods, reels, lures and other tackle.

So my question is this. I do a lot of trips out to the reef where the water is no deeper than 30m and i also head up the creeks chasing Barra, Jacks, grunter etc.
In the next month or 2 i plan to sell off this sounder for around the $700 mark so i can upgrade.

What are peoples thoughts on upgrading. Should i upgrade or should i stick with the current sounder.
If I upgrade, what should i go for... my budget will be $1500. definately no more than $1600. Suggestions and comments on new sounder would be great.

Thanks in advance
jase

Vindicator
31-01-2008, 08:36 PM
My suggestion would be to get a cheaper handheld gps and spend more money on the sounder. Even to the extent of going for a furuno. They're worth it in the long run. Other wise in the not too distant future you wish you had of and then looking to upgrade again, costing even more money.

Cheers
Kezza

on-one
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I think you'll struggle to get your money out of the humminbird. If you're unsure about whether to upgrade it's probably better to wait a while until you are as electronics keep dropping in price, so leave it longer and you'll get more features, bigger screen etc etc for the same money or less

tenzing
04-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Jase,
I got a Furuno FCV 620 0n Ebay new from the states in December. Saved Hundreds of $$ over retail here. It was hand delivered to me on a saturday pm by courier 5 days after I ordered it. I did a "buy it now " thingy.you would end up with a fist full of ravioli to spend on rods and reels and get a top sounder to boot! Take a look and see whats available.

Regards
Brendan