PDA

View Full Version : PFD's on the Noosa River.

PaulMark
30-01-2008, 06:22 PM
We were recently down at Noosa for the weekend and I was amazed at the amount of boats going past with kids on board with no PFD on.Do they not have to wear them on the river??

Poseidon
30-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Here is the link to one of the requirements in QLD. I guess it comes down to the age, size of boat and definition of 'Open Boat'

I think that many people may remain blissfully unaware of the rules.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb2baf0e46694e9/Pdf_factsheet_under_12.pdf

Regards Cameron.

PaulMark
30-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Well I thought if the boat was under 4.8m kids had to wear one while the boat was moving.Some of the littlies we saw would have only been 6 or so.

fez
30-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Under 4.8m underway under 12 MUST have a lifejacket is my understanding.

Underway was definded as under power (sail or motor) or drifting - anything that is not anchored.

I think the above comment is on the money too many people blissfully unaware, seriously what price can you put on a life, let alone your kids lives.

Cheers,
Fez

choppa
30-01-2008, 08:07 PM
chopjr got his about 2 yrs ago,,,, personally,, i don't care about regulations and age,,, boat size etc etc

if he goes on the boat,,, he wears it

it amazes me also that people with kids on boats seem to think that because there on a small craft,,, they can watch and control a young'un,,,

its a pity that the kids are generally smarter than us,,, if they get bored they find something to do,,,, and it only takes a blink of the eye for them to end up in the water,,, whether your moving or not

just my thoughts

choppa

Whitto
31-01-2008, 06:18 AM
chopjr got his about 2 yrs ago,,,, personally,, i don't care about regulations and age,,, boat size etc etc

if he goes on the boat,,, he wears it

it amazes me also that people with kids on boats seem to think that because there on a small craft,,, they can watch and control a young'un,,,

its a pity that the kids are generally smarter than us,,, if they get bored they find something to do,,,, and it only takes a blink of the eye for them to end up in the water,,, whether your moving or not

just my thoughts

choppa Spot on Choppa, If they are in the boat they wear a PFD forget about regulations it's your parental responsibility to ensure their absolute safety, Cheers Whitto

Scott Ashe
31-01-2008, 09:07 AM
I believe all kids should wear PFD'S while on any boat, regardless of regulations, and ability to swim.

It's just common sense.

I'm 28, have my own boat, and suffer from cerebral palsy, and wear my jacket every time I'm aboard a boat. I'm not a very strong swimmer.

I don't care what I look like, I'd rather be safe.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Scott

BaitThrower
31-01-2008, 11:40 AM
My kids always have theirs on before they step foot in the boat. They actually like wearing them as its a bit of fun getting them on, plus they know they can float in them, so I call them giant floaties. They now tell me they must have them on before they get in, before I even have a chance to say something.

Just be sure they are properly fitted to the child. They can be useless if they are too large and can slide up over their heads.

honda900
31-01-2008, 04:41 PM
I agree with all,

my boat skippers rules, on the boat under 12 or under, Life jacket is a must, no jacket no ride.

Regards
Honda

PaulMark
31-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I've noticed here in the Bay that most everyone complies with the legislation,and parental common sense.But there was quite a lot of littlies with no jacket on down Noosa way.Theres enough education on the rules in Boat and Fishing mags.Plus there not that expensive when you weigh it up.Thanks for your comments guys.
Paulo.

kitch76
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
To be honest I got my licence 6 or so years ago and I only found out by accident that the littlies had to wear PFD's, I would regardless of the law but I never saw tv ads, I dont read fishing/boating mags and hardly even read the paper. I feel the Transport department should send out to all licenced boaties changes like this.

datamile
02-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Yup, mine always were theirs from the point we get to the ramp. I grew up on fishing boats, and fell in a few times.

I remember once in the open sea when I was around 6 reaching for a fish I was reeling in, and it was me in the sea instead of the fish in the sea.

Without a life jacket, you have little choice but to stop the engine, and dive in start after them before you lose sight or they start to struggle. If there's only 2 in the boat, then hope you are strong enough to swim back with the kid. Life jackets give you and the kids time to think and plan.

mromanis
02-02-2008, 09:27 AM
My family and I holiday in Noosa every year, and every year we hire a range of those boats along Noosaville. I have had to ask for life jackets for the kids, and most of the jackets they have for kids are not PFD 1.
I can't believe the number of small kids on privately owned boats of all size not wearing jackets of any kind, and riding on the bow whilst underway. Kids no more than 7 or 8 were sitting on the bow, legs hanging over the edge, no jackets, travelling at 20 kts or more!!! On a river that busy at that time of year!!!
I have seen what happens to someones legs when two boats come together at speed, needless to say the poor guy in question has had to learn to do without legs.
The police were always on the water but not stopping any of the boats in question.
What's the story in QLD?
Don't get me started on the number of boats with no running lights at night!