PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Reefs- Can we make?

reel scream
30-01-2008, 05:39 PM
G'day,

When living in SA many pro snapper fishermen used to make their own artificials. Often they would be on sandy bottom without any surrounding structure based on the theory that if you were stuck in the dessert and saw a flashing Macca's sign you would head over for a feed.

Now given the impending closures around here i was wondering if it would be worth giving one a go in the 20-30mt mark away from the green zones. Have got some questions though that i need answered (lefty-green dont bother).

1) Is it legal?
2) If using fridges would they need to be de-gassed or something so as to prevent pollution?
3) Ovens, tyres half filled with cement should be ok?

Just a thought:-/ . What are your thoughts?

Cheers Scott

ffejsmada
30-01-2008, 06:07 PM
This was a hot topic a while back............... just a lot of hot air I think.

Do a search mate, you'll find the thread on creating an artificial.

Great in theory, but I think thats all it is..............theory.

Please guys, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeff

Local_Guy
30-01-2008, 06:54 PM
it's a great idea, but i think if you didn't go down the correct channels you could get yourself in an aweful amount of trouble. i'm sure creating (or dumping) these items in the ocean would be classed as poluting natural habitat and you could spend some serious time going through the so called justice system.

imagine the environmental impact you could unintentially do if you dumped say 10 fridges on a specific sand bottom. it's not so much the gas leaking but the 100 other things you can't think of.

tunaticer
30-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I have been wondering about trees that get washed out into the seas from floods, Would they make as good an artificial reef as they do in the rivers and creeks?? Anchoring them to a location in the bay would consist 99% of natural items I would imagine. A couple of big iron bark or camphor laurel trees would be the go i guess.

Seeing we may be entering a La Nina event The chances of some real floating debris from floodwaters could be making thier way down the rivers waiting to be compiled at location X and anchored down somehow. Might as well make use of what appears with nature i guess.

Jack.

Cammy
30-01-2008, 07:46 PM
i recon that would be good to build your own reef, you could make it as big as you want and very secret,but i recon there should be more reefs near the coast especially where the fishing is dead in estuaries, i heard that they are building an artificial for woody point after its rebuilt. if they are doing that there , they should do one for shorncliffe pier, as IMO its going down the drain.

but how much does it cost the government to build?

cam

Horse
30-01-2008, 07:53 PM
It is not legal to dump any of those materials without approval. The process of gaining approval is lengthy and full of red tape.

It is rumored that some fishos may be getting together and creating small reefs of inert material such as plastic crates and besser blocks.

Do a search and some of the links will tell you what materials are safe if you were inclined to have them fall overboard

bigdonk
30-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I think throwing 2 or 3 rocks overboard at a GPS mark everytime you go out wont hurt..... Like reel scream said in (20m to 30m) of water eventually the eco system will take over ,it will start to grow and house lil critters starting the food chian..... Maybe???? must work if others are doing it!!

Cheers BD

Leighton
30-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Like Horse said, I herd a tail of lads dumping shopping trollys in the Bay

Luc
30-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Apart from having to run an artificial reef project past DPI& F, I reckon the biggest hurdle would be the EPA.

Luc

Far side
30-01-2008, 09:11 PM
There is actually a plan in place to create more artificial reefs in moreton bay
apparently the Gov has allocated 2 mill for the project

reel scream
31-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'm not interested in jail so i suppose i would have to follow the right procedures. Then again i do travel out a fair bit at night.

Suppose the EPA would be the biggest hurdle.

Have fished with my cousin back in SA on one of his car body dumps and the fishing was fantastic (He's a pro). Dont think it was legal down there but the Gov set up a heap of tyre Pyramids to creat some great grounds.

Will look further into it, see what the EPA's stance is.

Cheers Scott.

NEWBY
31-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Have a look at Western Australia. I know there are many artificials over there and have fished them with success. Bent pin reef springs to mind in the Cockburn Sound. Cockburn sound being similar in a lot of ways to Moreton Bay

webby
31-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Some have already been started ?????

Ozwald
31-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Going a little bit off topic here but does the EPA have the same objections to installing FADs as well?

tunaticer
31-01-2008, 07:25 PM
I have often wondered what happened to all the old stainless steel train carriages they have replaced in the last decade or more? Strip them out to bare shells and remove the undercarriage and bingo huge reefs each one.

Jack.

oldboot
31-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I recon 1 besser at a time would be the go.

interesting that, no body seems interested in addressing the quantities of ferrol abandoned crab pots.....

If they cant stop the crab pot problem, do you think They could stop a 1 or 2 besser at a time arti project.

cheers

Sea-Dog
31-01-2008, 09:11 PM
The problem with dumping small amounts of besserbricks overboard would be trawlers would just pick them up and drag them around for a while without noticing until they winch up the nets.

It would tend to wear holes in the nets too.

If you could find a spot where no trawling is allowed, then the trawler blokes can't really complain about getting damaged nets can they?

Anyone own a barge & have access to the rejects pile at the brick factory?

::)

Nico.d.R
01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I saw a doco on a small island that had wiped out there reefs by dynamite fishing for there tribes , and they were makeing big cylinders out of reo and towing them out a couple of hundred metres and hooking up a wire to a battery to put a low current through the frame . The current would build up calcium around the frame so it would keep getting thicker than divers collected small peices of living coral and tie them to the frame after a few months fish came back and the reef looked really good .

with the bricks you would be best of finding out the boder lines are where the trawlers can not go and do it just inside there .

reel scream
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
There is actually a plan in place to create more artificial reefs in moreton bay

Any ideas where they are planning to put them? How would i access this info.

These would be for all to use, which is good. I was thinking more along the lines of an isolated one for myself and a couple of mates to build- Dont get me wrong i dont mind sharing most marks, but you do have to have a couple of midweek specials;) .

Cheers Scott

scoota
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Would really like to know where to research that project if you point us in the right direction Far side?

Thanks Scoota...

Horse
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Check out the current zones. There are a few places trawlers cannot work
The best reefs seem to be built on material that is pretty inert in seawater and provides places for a whole ecosystem to develop rather than just a FAD that just congregates existing fish into one area to be more easily caught
I like the Reef Ball system but anything that offers lots of protected areas will develop a reasonable biomass around it

seamaid
02-02-2008, 08:27 AM
:-X
Making yeh own secret artifical reef, no problem,a lengthy effort & lot of hard work, depth and location plays a big part, and when you got up and running
some nosy fisho's curious what your anchored on,sounds around you and plugs a GPS point,He comes back with mates gets a feed, comes mates mates, to try to avoid cmpanionship ,fishing at night is best.
How clean are those big ships they sink on Gov approved Artifical reefs,
A nice fish off the Arty
:-X :-X :-X

Tassie JR
02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Any ideas where they are planning to put them? How would i access this info.

These would be for all to use, which is good. I was thinking more along the lines of an isolated one for myself and a couple of mates to build- Dont get me wrong i dont mind sharing most marks, but you do have to have a couple of midweek specials;) .

Cheers Scott

Hey Scott you'd share them couple of secret ones with me and the old man wouldnt you::) .

cheers Dan

Dan5
02-02-2008, 06:36 PM
The Northern Territory government has been doing it for years,Fenton Patches,Bottle washer,tipper reef angler reef the list go's on.All situated close for rec fisho's and all hold a good variety of fish on the right tides the only trouble is getting a parking spot sometimes.Dan......

reel scream
03-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Hey Scott you'd share them couple of secret ones with me and the old man wouldnt you::) .

cheers Dan

Too easy Dan. Get the old man to ring.

Cheers Scott.

smiley_doobinator
03-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Perhaps a discussion group ( i hate buzzwords but anyway) between the MBAA and the EPA could gain some ground on creating new artificials for rec fisho's out of the way of trawlers and out of the new proposed green zones and everyone would be happy. The EPA gets it's closures, trawlers can continue on their merry way and the rec fisho's would have some new grounds to fish. I believe that a decent artificial reef can start producing in as little as 12 months depending on whats used to create it. Some food for thought.

Luc
03-02-2008, 11:01 AM
This link from the DPI&F website is all about "Fish Friendly Structures"

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/18558.html

Luc

seabug
03-02-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/14/AR2007061401525.html

Article above gives details of failure of tyres for artificial reef

Regards
seabug

seamaid
03-02-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/14/AR2007061401525.html

Article above gives details of failure of tyres for artificial reef

Regards
seabug
:D
Well done, interesting reading.
Seamaid:D

Marky Mark
04-02-2008, 08:37 AM
There were some made out of concrete structures a bit like flower pots, I think it was in Lake Macquarie, central coast way. After 12 months they were starting to work well. I'm all for it with the right stuff, plenty of big bits of concrete and rubble around from demolition works, save it going to landfill!

Marky Mark
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
There were some made out of concrete structures a bit like flower pots, I think it was in Lake Macquarie, central coast way. After 12 months they were starting to work well. I'm all for it with the right stuff, plenty of big bits of concrete and rubble around from demolition works, save it going to landfill!

reelemin1974
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=114929&highlight=artificial

This gives you an idea.

ellicat
04-02-2008, 02:45 PM
G'day,

When living in SA many pro snapper fishermen used to make their own artificials. Often they would be on sandy bottom without any surrounding structure based on the theory that if you were stuck in the dessert and saw a flashing Macca's sign you would head over for a feed.

Now given the impending closures around here i was wondering if it would be worth giving one a go in the 20-30mt mark away from the green zones. Have got some questions though that i need answered (lefty-green dont bother).

1) Is it legal?
2) If using fridges would they need to be de-gassed or something so as to prevent pollution?
3) Ovens, tyres half filled with cement should be ok?

Just a thought:-/ . What are your thoughts?

Cheers Scott

My thoughts are that we have enough reef already.

Let the greenies (EPA/AMCS etc) make their own artificial reefs and leave ours alone!

seabug
04-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Firstly let me say that I fully support the idea of artificial habitat for fish,and plenty of it.

What I find appalling is the suggestion that this should be done by Stealing shopping trolleys and bread and milk crates.

This topic has gone to 3 pages and nobody seems to have any concerns.

Stealing is theft, and is ILLEGAL!
Fine example to be setting for young members.

Shopping trollies cost hundreds of dollars each ,and any loss is passed on to the community with higher grocery bills.

And the last thing that small businesses in shopping malls need is someone adding to there overheads.

Now if this topic had been about some scumbag taking tackle from a boatramp carpark would everyone have turned a blind eye?
Regards
seabug

Horse
04-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Firstly let me say that I fully support the idea of artificial habitat for fish,and plenty of it.

What I find appalling is the suggestion that this should be done by Stealing shopping trolleys and bread and milk crates.

This topic has gone to 3 pages and nobody seems to have any concerns.

Stealing is theft, and is ILLEGAL!
Fine example to be setting for young members.

Shopping trollies cost hundreds of dollars each ,and any loss is passed on to the community with higher grocery bills.

And the last thing that small businesses in shopping malls need is someone adding to there overheads.

Now if this topic had been about some scumbag taking tackle from a boatramp carpark would everyone have turned a blind eye?
Regards
seabug

Settle down

No one on this thread has mentioned stealing anything

Shopping trolleys become available when damaged and the same goes fot the crates

seabug
04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Settle down

No one on this thread has mentioned stealing anything

Shopping trolleys become available when damaged and the same goes fot the crates

Now is'nt it convenient that the post suggesting that 50 crates could easily be had at the mall has "disappeared";) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Regards
seabug

Duyz72
04-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I did some research a few years ago myself, found that is OK to make an artificial reef, of course you need to make application etc.
In the application you need to outline what it will be made of, how it will be constructed, who will be doing the work, who will be paying for it, environment impact . . . . . . but don't forget - how you intend to maintain it.
Yes, that' right, you make it, you look after it.
Need to ensure it is not an obstruction to shipping etc.
Even if it moves from large storms, you need to make sure it is secured back to approved location etc.

snelly1971
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Now is'nt it convenient that the post suggesting that 50 crates could easily be had at the mall has "disappeared";) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Regards
seabug

Yeah...Interesting that Seabug...Thought i read that too....Must have been lost in Cyber Space.....
Mick

Horse
05-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Looks like a moderator has moderated a post somewhere here. There are plenty of cheap or recycled options for habitat construction with no need to knock stuff off

reel scream
05-02-2008, 08:50 AM
My thoughts are that we have enough reef already.

Let the greenies (EPA/AMCS etc) make their own artificial reefs and leave ours alone!

Ellicat- my favourite peice of reef is over an hour away from the ramp and will soon be a green zone. Done right, there is nil harm in doing what i propose.Eg- right materials, right place, nothing stolen. It would not affect anyone else unless they stumbled accross it and landed too many fish;) .

Cheers Scott.

webby
05-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Just happend to have a few spare milk crates, besser blocks and bread stands, if anyone want some, or will give the general direction of where to place them, and with no hinderance to the trawlers.
regards

NQBoyes
05-02-2008, 04:15 PM
seabug get over it! its a dog eat dog world out there and if someone doesen't take it and make good use out of it someone else will take it and use it for something else.

mickstar001
05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
If someone were to recommend a rough place where they would make an artificial reef as webby said without interfering with trawlers that would be great! Is there somewhere to look up trawler paths on the net?

Mickstar

seabug
05-02-2008, 04:54 PM
seabug get over it! its a dog eat dog world out there and if someone doesen't take it and make good use out of it someone else will take it and use it for something else.

Well said.:D :D
Then I feel sure the local lads reading this will appreciate any gear you leave uncovered.;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards
seabug

snelly1971
05-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Gee hope you dont have Kids....Thats a great way to justify yourself dumping shopping trollies or milk crates.....I am not Green....But the dumping of milk crates ....come on..>:(>:(>:(

Mick

seabug
05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Gee hope you dont have Kids....Thats a great way to justify yourself dumping shopping trollies or milk crates.....I am not Green....But the dumping of milk crates ....come on..>:(>:(>:(

Mick
Floating rubbish dump in Pacific Ocean 'bigger than US'

Article from: AAP

Font size: Decrease (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23157068-952,00.html#) Increase (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23157068-952,00.html#)
Email article: Email (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/email/popup/0,23830,23157068-952,00.html)
Print article: Print (javascript:print();)
Submit comment: Submit comment (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23157068-952,00.html#submit-feedback)Xavier La Canna
February 03, 2008 11:00pm

IT has been described as the world's largest rubbish dump, or the Pacific plastic soup, and it is starting to alarm scientists. It is a vast area of floating plastic debris.
It is a vast area of plastic debris and other flotsam drifting in the northern Pacific Ocean, held there by swirling ocean currents.

Discovered in 1997 by American sailor Charles Moore, what is also called the great Pacific garbage patch is now alarming some with its ever-growing size and possible impact on human health.

The "patch" is in fact two huge, linked areas of circulating rubbish, says Dr Marcus Eriksen, research director of the US-based Algalita Marine Research Foundation, founded by Moore.

Although the boundaries change, it stretches from about 500 nautical miles off the coast of California, across the northern Pacific to near the coast of Japan.

The islands of Hawaii are placed almost in the middle, so piles of plastic regularly wash up on some beaches there.

"The original idea that people had was that it was an island of plastic garbage that you could almost walk on. It is not quite like that. It is almost like a plastic soup," Dr Eriksen says.

"It is endless for an area that is maybe twice the size as continental United States," he says.

The concentration of floating plastic debris just beneath the ocean's surface is the product of underwater currents, which conspire to bring together all the junk that accumulates in the Pacific Ocean.

Moore, an oceanographer who has made the study of the patch his full-time occupation, believes there is about 100 million tonnes of plastic circulating in the northern Pacific - or about 2.5 per cent of all plastic items made since 1950.

About 20 per cent of the junk is thought to come from marine craft, while the rest originates from countries around the Pacific like Mexico and China.

Australia plays its part too, he says.

The waste forms in what are called tropical gyres - areas where the oceans slowly circulate due to extreme high pressure systems and where there is little wind.

The garbage in the patch circulates around the North Pacific Gyre, the world's largest.

A lack of big fish and light winds mean it's an area of the Pacific less travelled by fishing boats and yachts.

Moore says he discovered the floating mass of rubbish by chance, after steering his catamaran into the gyre while returning home from a yacht race.

Historically, flotsam in the gyres has biodegraded. But modern plastics do not break down like other oceanic debris, meaning objects half a century old have been found in the North Pacific Gyre.
Instead the plastic slowly photodegrades, becoming brittle and disintegrating into smaller and smaller pieces which enter the food chain and end up in the stomachs of birds and other animals.
Because the plastic is translucent and lies just beneath the surface, it is apparently undetectable by satellite photos.

"It is not like going to a parking lot after a rugby match. It is not like a landfill," he says.

"The material is breaking down continually. It is photodegrading all the time. It is what I call a kaleidoscope or an alphabet soup. You won't see it from a satellite shot of the ocean. You only see it from the bows of ships," he says.

If the waste is to be controlled people must stop using unnecessary disposable plastics, otherwise it is set to double in size during the next 10 years, Moore warns.

Dr Eriksen said the small plastic particles acted like a sponge to trap many dangerous man-made chemicals that found their way into the ocean, like hydrocarbons and DDT.

"What goes into the ocean goes into these animals and onto your dinner plate, It is that simple," Dr Eriksen said.

Larger pieces of plastic are also a threat to birds, which mistake them for food.

Dr Eriksen said he has found syringes, cigarette lighters and tooth brushes from the patch inside sea bird carcases.

Professor David Karl, an oceanographer from the University of Hawaii, said the garbage patch represented a new habitat, and more studies were needed to find out what impact it was having on the ocean's eco-system.

snelly1971
05-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Just happend to have a few spare milk crates, besser blocks and bread stands, if anyone want some, or will give the general direction of where to place them, and with no hinderance to the trawlers.
regards

I am all for making an artificial Reef..I have no problems with this idea..We do it ourselves, But if i were to see another boater dropping milk crates and the like over the side here then I am pretty sure i would be over there discussing the matter with him...And it would not be a very friendly discussion

Mick

oldboot
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
There are definitely problems with various plastics, there are groups of indegenous persons ( locaL black fellas) who are employed full time gathering rubish foo the foreshores as part of the caring for country.
These blokes drag trailer loads of nett & thongs & rubish off the beach every day.

This is why anything used for an arti' has to be well and truly and permanently sunk.

I wouldnt be keen on plastic crates........they should be recycled.

Tyres likewise........I understand there are other problems with tyres

masonry, stones & big lumps of steel would be the go.

cheers

Horse
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Most types of plastic are a very viable material for artificial habitat construction. Making sure it stays where we want it to be is a problem. Tyres on the other hand are not a suitable material to use as there is some evedence that they can leach toxic materials into the environment

seabug
05-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Most types of plastic are a very viable material for artificial habitat construction. e

Hi Horse,
That is a very interesting statement.

If you could please supply links to to where you read this then I am sure all those wanting to use plastic to make Artificial Habitat would be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance
Seabug

NQBoyes
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
hold on a minute i never said i was dunping shopping trollys or anything of the sort! if i was going to make an artificial reef they would be the last thing i would use!!!!!
the point i was making is in reality nothing is safe anymore just look at how many things go missing everyday and if its not put to good use they will be used for something less productive so there is no point having a winge about it cos its not going to fix the problem. is it?

reel scream
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Horse,
That is a very interesting statement.

If you could please supply links to to where you read this then I am sure all those wanting to use plastic to make Artificial Habitat would be very gratefull.

Thanks in advance
Seabug

Seabug- got these off Horse,

http://www.eco-pros.com/artificialreefs.htm
http://www.gsmfc.org/pubs/SFRP/Guidelines_for_Marine_Artificial_Reef_Materials_Ja nuary_1997.pdf

Interesting read.

Cheers Scott.

seabug
06-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Seabug- got these off Horse,

http://www.eco-pros.com/artificialreefs.htm
http://www.gsmfc.org/pubs/SFRP/Guidelines_for_Marine_Artificial_Reef_Materials_Ja nuary_1997.pdf

Interesting read.

Cheers Scott.

Hi Scott
Thanks
Interesting read indeed!;D ;D ;D

From "Guidelines for Marine Artificial Reef Materials"

I used the PDF "Search" and found these hits for plastics.

From page 26

Fiberglass, rubber, and plastics attached to automobile bodies, if not removed when
deployed, may become unattached and free in the water column after the metal corrodes
away.
Plastics that are not attached securely to the automobile body must be removed

From page 62 of second link
PCBs do not represent the only hazardous material that may be of environmental concern on ships.
Floatables, plastics, various petroleum products, lead, radioactive materials (eg. luminous dials),
antifouling paints such as tributyl tin, and asbestos have all been identified as items of potential
concern either by reef managers
From page 107

Construction from long-lived, durable, environmentally-safe components such as concrete,
steel, or heavy-duty plastics can result in a long, safe, and somewhat predictable service life
of reef units
From page 117

2.14 Miscellaneous

The range of materials of opportunity that could be used as artificial reef material is only limited by
imagination. If properly applied, the criteria of function, compatibility, durability, and stability will
place some limits on material that are suitable for artificial reef application; however, innovation in
predeployment preparation, such as with coal combustion fly ash or automobile tires, can render a
material suitable that should otherwise be rejected. In that regard, there are miscellaneous materials
that should be mentioned, even though there are few to no references in the literature and experience
with them is limited to non-existent. Such materials include plastics, fiberglass reinforced plastic
(FRP), polyvinyl chloride (PVC) pipe, miscellaneous metals (garbage dumpsters, crane derricks,
large fuel tanks, construction beams, bridge spans, others), ceramic items (toilets, bathtubs, sinks),
among a long list of others. Obviously, not all of these materials will be suitable as artificial reef
material; however, with effort, some could be used effectively.

Also interesting was that the literature cited dated between 1959 and 1995.
Hardly current research.::)

With the exception of the page 107 report that HEAVY Duty plastic could be used it is definately not an endorsement for using plastic.(And this research is at least 12 yrs old):o

Nor is there any quoted reference as to MILK+Bread crates being suitable::)

Milk and bread crates are NOT suitable for the following reasons.

No research has been carried out to determine if they leach chemicals into the environment>:(

Because of their lattice structure they would easily foul fishing gear resulting in long lengths of fishing line trailing in the sea.>:(

Also they would be catch on many types of anchors and be partialy destoyed,resulting in smaller pieces breaking away and fouling the environment.>:(

Regards
seabug

seabug
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Forgot to mention,
Hard smooth plastic is unsuitable as when the marine growth get bigger they are too heavy for the surface adhesion and fall off.

See that some States of USA have put a Moratorium on using fibreglass ,as artificial reef,because of problems associated with its use.
Regards
seabug

tunaticer
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I still reckon large trees would be good for the job even if they only last 5 yrs. Its a natural product and will support growth and borers etc very rapidly and once it has broken down and collapsed the barnacles would be sufficient to support new growth of barnacles etc. The good thing about trees is they are regularly washed from rivers with any decent floods, we simply have to gather the things and anchor them no too far from the river they came from out of the main current flow.
Several councils now have made camphorlaurel trees a pest and wish fopr them to be removed. Lots of these grow along the rivers and creeks and can be felled into the water therefore towing with boats will not be overly hard.

Jack.

reel scream
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Would have to agree seabug that plastic would not be an option. Like i said at the start, this is just a thought and its good to hear some different points of view.

Snelly 1971- Mick you said you have made some. If you dont mind, what were they made from mate and how long have they been producing for?

Cheers Scott.

seabug
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Would have to agree seabug that plastic would not be an option. Like i said at the start, this is just a thought and its good to hear some different points of view.

Snelly 1971- Mick you said you have made some. If you dont mind, what were they made from mate and how long have they been producing for?

Cheers Scott.

Hi Scott,
Glad to see that plastics are not an option.
We know so little about how they break down.
Only recently there was a report that we should not repeatedly reuse those bottles that we buy water in as repeated refilling can lead to cracks in the inside surface and release of chemicals.
Also researsh into the ability of plastics to mimic hormones is in its infancy,and scientists have only recently discovered that plastics can concentrate poisons in the environment.(In the long newspaper article)"Dr Eriksen said the small plastic particles acted like a sponge to trap many dangerous man-made chemicals that found their way into the ocean, like hydrocarbons and DDT. "

"What goes into the ocean goes into these animals and onto your dinner plate, It is that simple," Dr Eriksen said.

Regards
seabug

snelly1971
06-02-2008, 11:34 PM

Cheers Scott.

We used to gather up old besser blocks...Scrap metal...and once we had to remove an old steel fish farm feed barge..this was sunk at spot X and gave great results for years...I dont fish much in the harbor anymore , so i am unsure if it is still there or not...I like the idea of a car body with all the necessary crap removed and just the body dumped...

Mick

Have also know of a few old boats that were sunk as dive wrecks and to use as a artificial reef

NAGG
07-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Here is a snippit of what is going on in NSW ( which is paid for from our licence fees)
A little more research involved than just dumping stuff here & there.

Nagg

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The NSW Department of Primary Industries is undertaking a pilot Artificial Reefs project to investigate the benefits of artificial reefs as a fisheries enhancement tool in Recreational Fishing Havens (RFH) along the NSW coast. A series of small artificial reefs are being deployed in identified barren areas in three RFHs.
The Department has worked closely with recreational fishers and estuarine user groups to establish suitable sites that will minimise social and environmental impacts. Before the reefs are deployed, a number of approvals are required from various Management Authorities. The reefs will be monitored before and after deployment using a combination of research methods including baited underwater videos, diver surveys and angler catch information.

‘Reef Ball’ technology
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0017/50084/ar-buv-retrieval.jpg BUV retrieval

The Lake Macquarie, Botany Bay and St Georges Basin artificial reefs are being constructed using existing ‘Reef Ball’ technology. Reef balls are individual reef modules cast from a single mould. The Reef Ball modules are a patented mold supplied by the Reef Ball Development Group and are made from a special mix of concrete that enhances marine growth while withstanding saltwater corrosion.
The Department is using ‘Mini-Bay Reef Balls’, which when placed together on the bottom in varying numbers, form small artificial reefs of different sizes (see dimensions below). The individual reef ball modules create habitat for marine fish, algae and crustaceans and can be deployed, moved or retrieved if necessary.
Reefs Balls have been used extensively around the world for a number of applications including natural reef enhancement, reef restoration, coastal stabalisation and fishing related development. Evidence to date suggests that Reef Balls can reach 80% or more of the natural species diversity and population densities of nearby natural reef systems within just a few years. Over 500,000 Reef Balls have been deployed worldwide in over 3,200 projects. More information on Reef Balls can be obtained from the Reef Ball Development Group (www.reefball.com) (http://www.reefball.com/reef.htm).
‘Reef Ball’ Style WidthHeight Weight Mini-Bay 0.76m 0.53m 70 - 90kg
Objectives of the project

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0004/50089/ar-rb-galgabba-point-1.jpg RB on the bottom at Galgabba Point, Lake Macquarie

Identify suitable sites for the construction of artificial reefs in 3 estuaries that have been declared Recreational Fishing Havens namely Lake Macquarie, Botany Bay and St. Georges Basin.
Construct variable artificial reef configurations to establish best-suited designs for NSW estuaries to optimise effectiveness and minimise cost.
Scientific research into artificial reef related topics.
Inform the recreational fishing community about the effectiveness and contribution of artificial reefs in improving recreational fishing in each estuary.
Establish guidelines for the consideration of any future artificial reef proposals in NSW estuarine and coastal waters.

seabug
07-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Nagg,
Very environmentaly friendl fish habitat.
Pity our Victorian Authorities could not spend some of our licence fees on a few thousand of those,to help replace the areas they took for marine parks.Not that I am against marine parks,but they should encourage fish to live where we are allowed to fish as well.

Tragic how they stopped scallop fishing in Port Phillip Bay to encourage better fishing and now they are wanting to spread toxic Yarra Mud into a beautiful clean environment.
http://www.diveoz.com.au/discussion_forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=15608

http://www.bluewedges.org/index.php?page=photos
Regards
seabug

NAGG
07-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Just another couple of pics of the reef balls in operation

Nagg

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0008/80891/ar-bream2.jpg Bream

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0009/80892/ar-bream.jpg Bream

reel scream
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
We used to gather up old besser blocks...Scrap metal...and once we had to remove an old steel fish farm feed barge..this was sunk at spot X and gave great results for years...I dont fish much in the harbor anymore , so i am unsure if it is still there or not...I like the idea of a car body with all the necessary crap removed and just the body dumped...

Mick

Have also know of a few old boats that were sunk as dive wrecks and to use as a artificial reef

Thanks for the info Mick. My cousin fishes car body sites off Wallaroo and Lincoln. Some are huge- up to the size of a house, and the fishing is great.

ET makes mention of the rec fisho arti's in the gulf of SA on page 35 of this months club marine, stating they seem to have done well for this otherwise fairly featureless area.

I suppose it all comes down to the individual. Hopefully friendly materials are used in the right place. I have never had a problem with trying to improve the area i fish in. When i used to fish the skinny mangrove creeks back home a fish frame or two was placed in a couple of shopping bags with holes above the high water mark in a mangrove. Once the maggots started dropping the fishing was great for days. We always retrieved the bags, thus nil harm done.

Cheers Scott.