PDA

View Full Version : Merc or Mariner?

rocksberg6
30-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between mercury and mariner, I'm thinking about upgrading my 05 60hp mariner, but can't see any difference between the two other than the price. Mariner slightly higher.

Mac_Attack
30-01-2008, 10:27 AM
There is none mate Mercury and Marina they are like Evenrude and Johnson.
The only difference is the cover and if there was any difference it would be very very minor.
Cheers Nick 8-)

FNQCairns
30-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Dunno for sure if the specs say the same thing, apart from fluffy things like rpm range. Then they are the same engine.

Look at the 60ho Tohatsu specs which is a Nissan engine, to see if they are the same as the Brunswick engines.

cheers fnq

craigie
30-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Rocksberg6,

Yes mate, these days Merc's and Mariners are the same motor.

The Mariner brand name has only been retained due to it being historically popular with island nations throughout the Pacific.

Purchase them both with confidence !!!!

Regards
Craigie.

BM
30-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Rocksberg, they are one and the same albeit with a different coloured lid.

When Mercury's 10 yr agreement with Yamaha ended in 1983 (Mercury marketed Yamaha's as Mariner in the early days before Yamaha made an entrance to the market in their own right). Yamaha came into the country as Yamaha in 1984. The Mariner name wasn't left to die (as it had a following) so Merc produced Merc and Mariner although it was the same product.

That way Merc picked up on the following for the Mariner engines and Yamaha essentially had to prove themselves again under their new name.

Cheers

Mac_Attack
30-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey FNQ Cairns thanks for bringing up the Tohatsu.
I have a Tohatsu 25 which is the same as a Mercury 30 but it has a restrictor on the Tohatsu (mines removed) and its $500 cheaper :o You just don't know what your buying theses days.
Cheers Nick 8-)

Kleyny
30-01-2008, 03:08 PM
when in was looking for a 60 hp motor in late 06 i was told ( by a repuable dealer) they are the same but for some reson the temp in the under cowl of the 60hp mariner was lower. must be the insulation or deisgn difference there.

neil