PDA

View Full Version : Bimi Clear Cleaner

DaMaGe
29-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Bit of a mouthful that topic;

I used some Windex crap on my bimi clear above the windscreen on my new Bluefin Escape (not per sig pic) and it seemed to have smogged up on a trip out to the bay recently. In fact it looks very smokey.

Should I be using windex stuff on the bimi clears? or would that effect the material. What is the standard. Anyone into that car raindx? stuff , anyone use that with salt water?

Blackened
29-01-2008, 10:04 PM
G'day

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

For clears, use only plexus. It;s a clear plastic cleaner/polish, originally designed for aircraft.

around $20 should be the big can

Dave

copie
29-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi DaMaGe
All i use is mr. sheen works a treat and was recommended to me by rowland street boat trimers.
MARK

mik01
29-01-2008, 10:23 PM
either will work, but I agree with Dave - Plexus is the best.
water will bead off when you're out there and vision will be clear.

they use it on aircraft etc

benny2208
30-01-2008, 12:05 AM
G'day

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

For clears, use only plexus. It;s a clear plastic cleaner/polish, originally designed for aircraft.

around $20 should be the big can

Dave

where do you get plexus from ???

joeT
30-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Plexus can be bought from any Chanderly supplier, like bias, whitworth, etc. I recently got some and it works great, makes them really clear again and they keep cleaner as the water beads right off. You can also use it on your plastic windscreen.

mirage
30-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Yep, go the Plexus, it's great stuff.
BCF has it in my area.
Scotty.

wags on the water
30-01-2008, 05:55 AM
These have been cleaned with Plexus. Thanks Dave.

finga
30-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Bit of a mouthful that topic;

I used some Windex crap on my bimi clear above the windscreen on my new Bluefin Escape (not per sig pic)
Ooh no...what happened to the old boat??
I loved that bondwood boat and with it's history it's a definite one of a kind.

These have been cleaned with Plexus. Thanks Dave.

Yep, I've seen those clears and they're definitely clear.
Brilliant stuff whatever they were cleaned with.
Actually Dave did a brilliant job on the whole boat 8-)

Blackened
30-01-2008, 08:35 AM
G'day

Bloody hell mike, do you even have the clears on :P

With regards to supply of plexus, any of your better chandleries have it.

Nu Marine at cleveland has the best prices, and their range of stuff down there is excellent

Dave

DaMaGe
30-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Finga;
I ended up selling it last March to a gentleman who was going to use it up and down the Logan river and maybe a trip to the pin etc. I sold it as I rebuilt the engine, did a compression ring on it, well actually it was a little funny since day dot and I got it looked at, it only had worsened with age and a rebuild was in order. I been without a boat for 10 months and recently after selling my house I bought a new, this 2006 model Blue Fin Half Cab and very impressed with it.
Its powered by a Johnson/Suzuki 4stroke 115 and it runs smoothly.

Guys;
Thanks all for your reply, I will grab a bottle of Plexus ASAP! Cheers...

finga
31-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Ah, the Serenity :D
Fitting name I reckon :)

PADDLES
31-01-2008, 11:48 AM
i have been using a damp microfibre cloth (pinched from wifey's cleaning supplies) firstly to clean the clears and then a nice clean towel (again don't tell my wife she'll kill me) to buff the little streaks left by the microfibre cloth. this method seems to work pretty good on mine and costs absolutely nothing. if there's a good coat of salt spray on them i give them a good wash first when i wash the outside of the boat.

Blackened
31-01-2008, 12:31 PM
i have been using a damp microfibre cloth (pinched from wifey's cleaning supplies) firstly to clean the clears and then a nice clean towel (again don't tell my wife she'll kill me) to buff the little streaks left by the microfibre cloth. this method seems to work pretty good on mine and costs absolutely nothing. if there's a good coat of salt spray on them i give them a good wash first when i wash the outside of the boat.

G'day

This is a good method, however offers no protection like a product such as plexus does

Dave

Thebuffalo
31-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Plexus is great on plastics on motorbikes as well, makes them look like new. I would do my whole boat in the stuff if I could aford it.

jtpython
31-01-2008, 06:09 PM
WELL WHO EVER MADE PLEXUS NEEDS A BIG KISS FROM ME(HOPE IT'S A WOMEN)
Got a can from BCF in Rockhampton today and done my clears and am more then impressed by the results,
I was using Mr Sheen and was great but nothing like this stuff
THANKS GUYS
$22 for can but worth every bit of it if ya ask me
JT

PADDLES
01-02-2008, 07:18 AM
what does the plexus do dave, does it leave a coating on the clear after cleaning? i'll give the stuff a go if it helps protect the clears. i've only everconsidered the cleaning aspect and never the preservation side of things.

mik01
01-02-2008, 07:57 AM
it leaves a coating so that water beads off. as to whether it 'protects' I'm not sure, but definitely does help when you're ploughing into rain/spray and visibility is poor!
make sure you use it on your windscreen also - I don't think you need to use it every time you wash the boat - I don't. I usually use water and a brush and get the salt off each time and apply the plexus every second time or so.
the coating should stay on longer than one trip out depending on how much water you take over the bow!

Blackened
01-02-2008, 05:02 PM
G'day

Plexus, it's a clear plastic cleaner and polish, also can be used on a multitude of other surfaces

I spray on and them wipe in/off with a small micro fibre towel.

Did the clears of a seafarer today that hadn't been touched for a while..... the owner will be happy when he sees them ;)

Like anything, keep it on the clears from new and they will stay new. Protection, you cannot beat it

Dave

jtpython
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I tell ya can goes a long way after work i started on one side of the boat after reading there web site and comes up a treat , They suggest using on fiberglass and everything so will do other side of boat tomorrow
Cheers
jt

searay215ec
02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
My clears were well weathered so i used Mother's Plastic Polish on them and am very happy with the outcome. Now they are a lot clearer i will be using Plexus on them again.

Outsider1
25-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Bought some Plexus after seeing the mentions here. Got a chance to clean up the clears yesterday. Also used it on the side windows etc. Came up a treat. Thanks for recommendations guys.

Cheers

Dave