PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki v Etec

Nofishtoobig
29-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Al righties if your in the market and jump on this site looking for opinions you might get lost in the drool that is being dribbled here. All in the name of fun though.

To the blood and guts of the matter ? Suzuki 5 yrs waranty / Etec 3 year waranty
Etec claim never put a spanner to it, ok after talking to an OB mechanic what if you get fishing line round the prop and you never think of servicing it cause thats the rules, well you just keep driving like you stole it and the gearbox blows and your not covered. Or water in the fuel just keep driving like you stole it and the injectors are shot after it stops and your not covered ( about 1000 each on those babies) . i believe that etec have exceptional fue econ / power and torque but 3 years not a spanner to it who's going to buy it?

Yeah its comming.......................i bought a suzi. 5 years warranty under 350 a service thats peice of mind, and plenty of HP to burn. Similar rule apply for suzi waranties but having a service keeps things in check and water in the fuel ? most likely damage? fuel pump 350 smakers. And we all know water in the fuel can happen very easily.

Its a hard choice because the choice is based on how much money to throw away or more to the point how much risk you are prepared to take , so really the choice is not that hard, cause in 3 years time when all the etec boys are repowering or not, cause they can't afford to i'll still be covered for another two. That is of course you are like me and spending more on an outboard than you would on a car or anything else is a rare event. On the other hand if you can a repower ever two years it really doen't mater etec or suzie, try'em both.

OOOPPPPPs now the drible is flowing.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o293/Nofishtoobig/IMGP1063.jpg

marty+jojo
29-01-2008, 07:29 PM
You have done it now,,, here we go again.

Hamish73
29-01-2008, 07:32 PM
I'd say if the suzi gets line around the prop and the seal is comprimised, it will also probably fail before the next service, be it one year or 3.

Congrats on the new engine anyway, I'm sure you'll love it from what I've heard :)

leezor
29-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Anyone who is really serious about their boating will buy Suzuki, everyone knows that ::)

Oh, and anyone that takes any of these Etec bashing posts seriously has been inhaling far to much burnt XD100 fumes ;)

Nofishtoobig
29-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes true same deal the gearbox could blow , but the point is that when the rules say no spanner for 3 yrs your not even going to check.

Sadly i have always been a yammie believer but where have they gone , in this area the sundrowning marine pretty well left yammie a hard option to take and its a shame cause yamaha make great stuff across there entire business. I know there are other dealers but the prices for the product left me with change for a nice sounder / gps with them not interested. Yamaha are either wating for the death of two strokes to re invent themselves or have lost interest in the outboard market there response to new products are 350hp monsters how bout some joe blog models, its 115 or 150 or 200 and the price jumps are big.

hungry6
29-01-2008, 08:11 PM
I really dont know much about either motor, but from the angle of the trim tabs, your last trip you went out alone or you"re a very large built fella. LOL
But it's interesting how you disect the cost/ time thing with the etecs. How come no one ever does a comparo with hondas as I might be looking at these in 150hp

BM
29-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Nofish,

BRP advertise "No dealer scheduled servicing for 3 yrs" and that is absolutely true and accurate.

However, BRP dont expect you to be a fool who mindlessly turns the key without ever checking anything though and every owner, regardless of brand should be regularly checking for issues like fishing line around the prop and water in their water separating filter and the output of their telltale and any warnings they get from their instruments.

I guess the brand decision is a personal one of course. I am firmly in the 2 stroke camp, but thats just me.

Cheers

Nofishtoobig
29-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Smart tabs hungy6, i had some teething probs with getting on the plain due to weight transfer from being a 6cyl inboard to out board conversion, didn't like the idea of more controls with hydrulic tabs. The actuators are gass filled 60lbs and automatic , i would recomend them as an alternative to permatrim of hydraulic tabs and cheap as chips too. makes huge improvements not only too planeing but cornering and rough conditions
Can't say i even looked at honda as my opinion there too heavy, great when 4st were new to the market but other brands have improved the technology and weight isues , its kinda like a honda is a honda and if there parts service is any indication by there motor cycle range no thanks.

Nofishtoobig
29-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Nofish,

BRP advertise "No dealer scheduled servicing for 3 yrs" and that is absolutely true and accurate.

However, BRP dont expect you to be a fool who mindlessly turns the key without ever checking anything though and every owner, regardless of brand should be regularly checking for issues like fishing line around the prop and water in their water separating filter and the output of their telltale and any warnings they get from their instruments.

I guess the brand decision is a personal one of course. I am firmly in the 2 stroke camp, but thats just me.

Cheers

Spot on but there hype no service 3yr / drive it like you stole it ! its simple engineering parts ware at to not check it for 3 years 300hrs , the instruments only tell you after the fact so there is no prevention from the briney environment. The best part of the 2st campers is 2 stroke 4 odd moving parts v's 4st 160 odd moving parts.

Maintance is the key but not for the etec , they are above the rest of us , for now. will be interesting to review comments and skeptics in another 5 or so yrs from now and do the s/h price comparison

NAGG
29-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Yes true same deal the gearbox could blow , but the point is that when the rules say no spanner for 3 yrs your not even going to check.

Sadly i have always been a yammie believer but where have they gone , in this area the sundrowning marine pretty well left yammie a hard option to take and its a shame cause yamaha make great stuff across there entire business. I know there are other dealers but the prices for the product left me with change for a nice sounder / gps with them not interested. Yamaha are either wating for the death of two strokes to re invent themselves or have lost interest in the outboard market there response to new products are 350hp monsters how bout some joe blog models, its 115 or 150 or 200 and the price jumps are big.

YAMAHA ...... Why mess with perfection ;)
:oops: That's right .... I had to replace the gearbox at 20 Hrs ! .... after they considerately left another bit in there for me::) ..... Now that's what I call service!
Nagg

BM
29-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Spot on but there hype no service 3yr / drive it like you stole it ! its simple engineering parts ware at to not check it for 3 years 300hrs , the instruments only tell you after the fact so there is no prevention from the briney environment. The best part of the 2st campers is 2 stroke 4 odd moving parts v's 4st 160 odd moving parts.

Maintance is the key but not for the etec , they are above the rest of us , for now. will be interesting to review comments and skeptics in another 5 or so yrs from now and do the s/h price comparison

I prefer an engine that weighs less and produces more torque....... and thats a DI 2 stroke.

4 strokes will always suffer in terms of grunt because of the very fact that they are a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke. They make power only half as frequently as a 2 stroke. So therefore their torque output, particularly down low is a lot less than a 2 stroke.

But like I said, its all a personal choice. I like DI 2 strokes, if you like 4 strokes then thats fine too..

Cheers

marty+jojo
30-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I prefer an engine that weighs less and produces more torque....... and thats a DI 2 stroke.

4 strokes will always suffer in terms of grunt because of the very fact that they are a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke. They make power only half as frequently as a 2 stroke. So therefore their torque output, particularly down low is a lot less than a 2 stroke.

But like I said, its all a personal choice. I like DI 2 strokes, if you like 4 strokes then thats fine too..

Cheers

Well said BM, i could not agree more.
Marty.

notsa
30-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I think anyone who is dumb enough to use their outboard for three years without checking it over now and then just because they say they do not need servicing for three years should not be on the water. I own a e-tec and find it great but so are honda,yamaha and maybe suzuki .

Spaniard_King
30-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Smart tabs hungy6, i had some teething probs with getting on the plain due to weight transfer from being a 6cyl inboard to out board conversion, didn't like the idea of more controls with hydrulic tabs. The actuators are gass filled 60lbs and automatic , i would recomend them as an alternative to permatrim of hydraulic tabs and cheap as chips too. makes huge improvements not only too planeing but cornering and rough conditions
Can't say i even looked at honda as my opinion there too heavy, great when 4st were new to the market but other brands have improved the technology and weight isues , its kinda like a honda is a honda and if there parts service is any indication by there motor cycle range no thanks.

No Fish, Honda has and are improving their models such as the 75 and 90 hp which a new model was released late last year. Leader in it's class :) Other brands have holes in there model ranges as well and aging technology::) . As far as parts go Honda hold stock of generably used parts, if you break something out of the ordinary it has top come from OS .. generally takes 2 weeks. but you can request a hotline order.. ie airfreight;D

It isn't possible for an outboard manufacturer to bring out a complete range of new models every year. Most manufacturers are driven by the North American outboard market demand, so thats where they aim there new model releases.

PADDLES
31-01-2008, 09:29 AM
i own a 140 sooz and it's a good thing but also agree with BM on the 2s benefits with more power at less revs, my 4s is a bit slow off the mark but i can't complain about the fuel bill. totally disagree with the number of moving parts argument though, to achieve direct injection a fairly complex/costly mechanism is required, this would have to have a similar value to a 4s top end. another aspect to look at for the future is the parent companies themselves and more importantly their ability to provide support/parts. now the big 4s makers suzuki/honda/yamaha/mercury have the backing of extremely large and very stable parent companies, johnson/evinrude have had a fairly unsettled past and who knows what the future may hold.

Noelm
31-01-2008, 10:01 AM
geees I did not realise that Suzukis where that good, fishing line around the prop, water in the gearbox, and it will still never give any problems, and the Mechanic will save it just in time, because you took it in for a Service! or maybe they are just that good that the fishing line does not get wound around the prop, this is the biggest load of "baiting" one sided brand loyalty that I have ever seen, but hey, if you love your Suzi, then so be it, they are a great Motor, as are most of the others! so I am not too sure why you want others to praise you on your purchase.

cod muncher
31-01-2008, 11:26 AM
i think most motors r shit hot , but the problem is some of the floggers who own em

PADDLES
31-01-2008, 11:43 AM
that's pretty true and also pretty funny cod muncher