PDA

View Full Version : what to do to make life easier

Burko75
29-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Got a new tinny last year, Brooker 410 fisherman with 40hp suzy 2 stroke. Anyway after using it a few times i feel it needs some work to make my life easier when alone or with the missus and bubs.

Was thinking 2 things,
selling it and replacing with a slightly bigger but older tinny with elec start and PTT (biggest concern for me is starting and lifting leg)

or selling motor and replacing with one with elec start and PTT, if I do this I will also consider converting to centre or side console (another debate?) and adding a pod on the back and infilling transom.

My biggest concerns for my current boat are starting it at the ramp when there is a bit of wind (i.e. blowing me into the other boats), lifting the leg when I come into beach (can be awkward) and water coming over the back when I stop from planing speed. Any and all help is appreciated.

Money is very limited and I have access to an ally welder to do the pod and transom.

boatie
29-01-2008, 04:00 PM
hey Burko,

have you thaught of getting a PTT and elec start kit for your outboard, may be an option if they are avaliable.

Burko75
29-01-2008, 05:00 PM
looked at that aftermarket PTT unit for about $1000 and a elec start kit was a bit over a grand. enquired about trading motor in on one with forward control , elec start and PTT , was about $2500 so much of a muchness, just goes down to ease of change i suppose. Also not real happy with suzy 40hp 2 stroke as it was designed in the 90's and smoothness/ oil use shows. (don't read this if i decide to sell motor and you are looking at buying it!!!!!)

wiz
29-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi mate

If you have only used it a few times then give it a bit longer and you will soon get the Knack of it. It is like anything practice makes perfect. You will become more confident in time. Also when coming off the plane as the wake starts to catch up to you give it a bit of throttle to keep in front of it and gradually come to a stop, this will stop it coming in the back. Just practice the areas you are having problems with or ask someone who is more experienced to show you . Hang onto your money

cheers Dan

wiz
29-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I see you are on the North side
I am at Redcliffe if you want I have no problems in giving you a few pointers if you are up this way

Cheers Dan

Kleyny
29-01-2008, 08:01 PM
i would try ringing a wrecker and see if they have something that will fit for the start and trim.
as for the pod if you and your mate go down this road be sure to ring your insurance first, the pod may have to be certified to keep your insurance.
all i do to atop water coming in the back is the same a wiz

neil