PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 Markham Whaler Vs 18' Sharkcat

Deiter
29-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Just wondering if anybody has owned, operated or ridden in these two boats and can provide me with a bit of a comparison between the two. There' splenty of info about the sharkcats out there, but very little about the 5.5 whalers.
Specifically interested in handling traits, power requirements, deck layout and ride quality, but any info appreciated.

Damo.

p.s. If anyone says "yes, but which 18' sharkcat?", I will hunt you down and shoot you.:D

Noelm
29-01-2008, 12:03 PM
never really been a whaler fan, but I have been in both lots of times, so for what it is worth here goes, the Whaler is in some ways more "finished off" but as a base to make a "mini gameboat" or serious fishing Boat, the Sharkcat leaves it for dead, (especially the later models) I think the Cat rides much better, and there is a much bigger choice when looking for one second hand, the Whalers always seem to have smaller Motors and then of course there is the old theory that they lean inwards on a turn, but I don't think it is a big issue in the first place and I am also not fully convinced that they do lean in, I think maybe just go flatter! but as a general package, if you look about and find a good 18' Sharkcat then there would be a model that will suit everyone almost, like full bunks in the cabin, or a tiny cuddy cabin, pods or no pods, a dive door or not, full glass windscreen, almost everything was available in them at some time!

Grand_Marlin
29-01-2008, 03:42 PM
p.s. If anyone says "yes, but which 18' sharkcat?", I will hunt you down and shoot you.:D

Which model 18' Markham Whaler ?? ;D ;D ;D

Sorry .... ::)

The Markham Whalers aren't a bad boat, but nowhere near as good as the same size Sharkcat (depending on which model ;D :-X )

In my opinion the whalers dont feel as capable as the sharkcat ...
Admitedly, I haven't been in the 5.5 whaler ... only 4.3 / 4.5, 4.9 & 5.2

Power wise, I feel they need equal to the sharkcat.

Most markham whalers have closed cell floatation that will absorb water.
Sometimes draining them is sufficient, but I would suspect there are a lot of floors and timber work in need of replacement.

Would I buy one? Yes

Would I buy one if I had the choice of the markham whaler and a late model Sharkcat? No Way.

If you are uncertain, tee up a ride in both brands.

Cheers

Pete

Deiter
29-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanx a heap Noel and Pete, you guys should write a book.

Only thing now is that I have to find out which model sharkcat I should be chasing!!!!

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2008, 06:20 AM
This is the model you want ... well it is the model I recommend as the best 18' cat built.

It is the 560 Sportsman.

Cheers

Pete

Deiter
30-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Yep, looks good. When can I pick it up??????????

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2008, 08:44 PM
It will be ready for sale very soon (the white one) ... fitting up the yammies this weekend.

New electronics are all in, so it is all happening.

Cheers

Pete

Deiter
30-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey.....they're all bloody white!!8-)

Grand_Marlin
31-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Nah, the the first one is white with blue top deck.

The second one is all white.

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
31-01-2008, 07:40 AM
that is one of the better models for sure, the only one better (I reckon anyway) is the same one, but with pods, the podded one does suffer a bit (with the Motors being so far out) with a bit of a "bum heavy" attitude, but it gives a better Transom setup, BUT the other one (with the blue top) is probably the pick of all the models made over many years of production, I think they started "proper" production in the 70's sometime and continued untill the 90's so 20 years is a good run, so they must have been doing something right, also the fact that they were and some still are the first choice for Abb divers and the like!

Deiter
31-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Any idea what sort of height they go on trailer??

I suspect towing weight to be around the 2T mark.

Damo

Fatenhappy
31-01-2008, 07:48 PM
That'd be plus the trailer and probably a bit more Damo

Grand_Marlin
31-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Height to top of windscreen is 2.7m

Weight with full fuel / gear etc will be around 2.3 t

Cheers

Pete

Noelm
01-02-2008, 09:27 AM
what Motors are you putting on it?? I have had a few 18' over the years with all sorts and sizes of Motors, just thinking of downsizing my present Cat and getting another 18, but I want one with pods or a Centre Console, both of which are very rare, but after I get off my bum and sell the other Boat I will then start seriously searching.

Grand_Marlin
01-02-2008, 08:06 PM
G'day Noel,

Twin 2004 model 85 CV Yamahas are going on this one.

Cheers

Pete