PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 30hp, rough idle and engine cuts out

croangler
29-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Hello,

I got a small problem with my Yamaha 30hp 2 stroke 84model.

The engine starts fine, 2-3 pulls cold start and he is on. When it warms up, it starts first go. However, I find it that the engine idles a bit rough and sometimes turns off when on idle. And now I find that when I accelerate, it goes top speed for about a minute and then it cuts out and turns off. Then I find that I need to pull the chord 4-5 times to get it started again.
I have a feeling that it is a fuel problem.

I replaced the spark plugs and got a new fuel hose, as the other one was cracking.

With the rough idle I don’t really know what the problem is.
It could be timing, carby…etc

But with the cutting out of motor when it is running flat out, I think it is some fuel problem.
Ill take it for a service and be safe.

What do you think the problem could be? And where do you think is a good place to service it? Any advice would be great.

Regards

Croangler

Blackened
29-01-2008, 10:34 AM
G'day

Whats your location? Regards the fuel lines, have you checked/cleaned all lines, bulbs and filters form the tank and to the carb?

Other than that with it cutting out or is it dying @ idle? If dying, more than likely a tuning issue or fuel starvation... If its cutting out, it'll more likely be electrical

Dave

croangler
29-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Hello Dave,

I live in Mansfield,

All the fuel lines seem fine but I will give them and the filter a clean.

Regarding the idle, it seems that it just dies, but it does not happen all the time. However, the idle seems rough, I don’t know how an older 2 stroke should idle but this one seems a bit rough.

Regards

Juzo
29-01-2008, 02:24 PM
your not using ethanol blend fuel are you? If you are STOP, and put some premium through. I experienced similar probs due to the dreaded ethanol.
Sounds like your Carby might need a clean out, the Premium fuel is good for that. I also had probs using shit fuel line connectors, make sure your using genuine parts, made a difference for me. The cut out at top speed sounds strange, does it sounf like your running out of fuel? If not, like blackend said, could be electrical prob

Juzo

Blackened
29-01-2008, 02:29 PM
G'day

If it's due for a service, then get them to have a look at it.

I'll reccomend Anthony from MArine Worx at Capalaba.

0422 330 846 is where you can find him

Dave

croangler
29-01-2008, 04:20 PM
thanks guys,

i use normal unleded but i will give premium unleased a go. like blackened said, i need a service.

Blackened
29-01-2008, 04:31 PM
G'day

Double check what unleaded you're using, as some has an ethanol blend, and you cannot be sure unless you read the fine print on some of them

Dave