PDA

View Full Version : Landing Fees at S Stradbroke?

kingtin
29-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Was informed that rangers were charging a fee for simply going ashore at Straddie. Anyone heard of this?

kev

sharkymark2
29-01-2008, 09:40 AM
What next a tax for passing wind or scratching your backside :(.

Blackened
29-01-2008, 09:40 AM
G'day

I haven't heard of it kev... but good luck to them if they choose to enforce it

Dave

Julius
29-01-2008, 12:10 PM
heard from a mate who has a house there said rangers not charging on top of the $122.oo ferry charge

laney
29-01-2008, 12:16 PM
i heard similar things. i stayed at currigee on saturday night and was told rangers were charging $2 or $3 per person for visiting.

although i dont know how strictly these were enforced down the southern end

kingtin
29-01-2008, 12:17 PM
heard from a mate who has a house there said rangers not charging on top of the $122.oo ferry charge

Perhaps a "landing charge" is included in the ferry and camping charge. What I'm led to believe is that it applies to those people who land from their own boats and don't pay any other fees such as camping.

kev

kingtin
29-01-2008, 12:18 PM
i heard similar things. i stayed at currigee on saturday night and was told rangers were charging $2 or $3 per person for visiting.

although i dont know how strictly these were enforced down the southern end

It supposedly happened to people going ashore at the bedrooms.

kev

mik01
29-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Perhaps a "landing charge" is included in the ferry and camping charge. What I'm led to believe is that it applies to those people who land from their own boats and don't pay any other fees such as camping.

kev

wow thats incredible if true.

so I'm an Australian citizen and I have to pay a fee to set foot on one of the islands in Australian waters that is publicly owned?

fair enough charge for camping fees etc, but a visiting fee?
I won't pay it - wonder what they ill do if you refuse?

cuzzamundi
29-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Sadly Mik01 they will go and muster the cops, who will return and slap you with an even bigger fine. seen it happen before up north when people refuse to pay. Bloody ridiculous if this is true for straddie.

cuzza

ashh
29-01-2008, 08:31 PM
yep, can just see all the surfers that paddle over to straddie being happy to pay a visiting fee....rofl.....what a crock

dinky
29-01-2008, 08:37 PM
unbelievable !. Whats the world coming too ! next they will charge for the toilet & shower,thats fair enough but should'nt charge for landing there.:o

gawby
29-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Kev:D

Good to see you are getting better and having a whinge;D ;D

I don't care what they charge cause i wont be paying the rangers
anything.>:( >:(

I pay my taxes and it costs me money to drive my boat there so
sorry ranger SMITH.:P :P

Graeme;)

ColacGirl
30-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Kev,
I have searched the net and can't find anything on this, so I've sent an email query to the park ranger. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

--
Bev

Chris Ryan
30-01-2008, 06:33 AM
probably trying to get people away from the island now the EPA want shut down a heap of the waters from fishing.

jimbo59
30-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Just imagine whats going to happen when we have to say sorry

kingtin
30-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Just imagine whats going to happen when we have to say sorry

Rudd can say, "sorry" all he wants, but he doesn't represent me............I'm not being held responsible for the sins of previous generations.

kev...............who was taken from his parents and placed in institutional care.

oldboot
30-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Now now now.
Mr rud isn't saying sorry for you or me, he is saying sorry for the behaviour of previous governments......I think you'll find that is very clearly spelt out.
I think you'll also find that this appology has nothing to do with land rights or any thing else......If you have a beef with land rights.... you;ll have to take that one up with aaagh Bob Hawk.

back to the subject in hand...... precisely what is landing, where is the boundry.
If it isnt the high water mark, there must have been specific legeslation passed, because I doubt that the rangers have durisdiction below the high water mark because you would still techniclay be in the bay and not on the island.

I'm interested to hear what the full story is.

cheers

ColacGirl
31-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone,
I received an email which contained a phone number to ring regarding my query, so I rang and spoke to a very friendly lady. This is the information I gathered.

Daily Visitor Fee - a fee of $2 will be charged if you enter any of the 4 campgrounds on South Stradbroke Island. This fee entitles you to use the amenities provided within the campground for that day.
The campgrounds will be fenced some time in the future to give clear boundaries, and more signs will be put up.

There is no fee to land on the island, walk to the surf, etc., just stay out of the campgrounds.

--
BevB

Red Bull
31-01-2008, 12:35 PM
The camp grounds will be fenced Bev? Not saying I don't believe you at all, but that sounds a bit crazy to me. Now I admit that I am not a regular camper, but I do spend a fair bit of time at Currigee on Sth Straddie, and I know the north camping ground quite well. To me, it would sort of defeat the purpose of camping there anyway, if that camp ground was to be fenced, as the view would be blocked to the water and the bush, and you'd feel hemmed in and enclosed, which relates directly back to the reason people go camping there in the first place.....to be free, to get away, get outdoors, enjoy the sand, Broadwater, beach, views, etc etc.

I have to walk through the camping ground to get to a fishing spot sometimes, are they gonna start charging me money to walk through the camping ground? Seems pretty ludicrous actually.

Cheers
Red Bull

fez
31-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Red Bull,

I think that you will find that "fencing" will be coppers logs (or similar) as a low fence and not even continous. Similar to council park fences, used more to define an area rather than "keep people in or out". I don't think the fence will be a six foot high wooden structure that will block the view.

Cheers,
Fez

Red Bull
31-01-2008, 02:40 PM
G'day Fez, yeah you're probably right, but I suppose my point was: what's the point of having a fence at all? In terms of the camp ground in question, you'd have to be blind Freddy not to know where the camp ground starts and finishes. It all just seems a bit bizarre to me. Anyway, time will tell.

Cheers
RB

mik01
31-01-2008, 06:42 PM
HAHA - so how do they stop you walking in the front gate? will they employ someone to stand there and collect money/check tickets? will there be guards and dogs or what?
who do you pay?

wouldn't a better solution be to charge this $2 as a permit upon camping there?
will I be taking a piss in the urinal and someone clap me on the shoulder and ask me where's my $2?

bastard
31-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Last weekend my sister camped along millionairs row,were there are no facilities besides bins,on sunday she had a bbq with approx 10 family members the ranger turned up and told us because the bbq was above the high tide mark we were in natinal park and each person had to pay two dollars,he also told two 3 year old kids digging with a plastic shovel that they would have to stop as they were destroying the national park,this ranger is new and is slightly handicapped he was told that we refuse to pay and he never returned i would expect by now that with the amount of complaints received he will be sacked and all this will be forgotton about.