PDA

View Full Version : broken transducer on lowrance

bdowdy
28-01-2008, 08:12 PM
hi just aquick question, forgot to put my transducer in the upright position and snapped it off THE PLASTIC LEG ....????? how hard is it to fix and can i buy anew one to replace and what am i looking at in price,,,this is my first boat with sounder so it may sound like a ..dumb question.... any help appreciated..bdowdy..brett

Dan5
28-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I repaired one once with some fiberglass resin and it worked fine,a new tranny for those is about $100 give or take(usually give) and a pretty common item.Depending on which model you have sometimes it's worth chuckin an extra few $$$ and buying a whole new unit and keep the one you have for a spare.Just don't tighten up the bolt so much next time so it kick's up a little easier.Dan..........

bdowdy
28-01-2008, 08:23 PM
thanks dan its a 65 model i think so can i get these at a tackle shop or do i go threw lowrance. cheers bdowdy..brett

Dan5
28-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah if your tackle shop sell's lowrance or eagle it should'nt be a issue.Dan........

bdowdy
28-01-2008, 08:37 PM
thanks dan what a costly little mistake

Dan5
28-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Don't worry mate i've done about 3 lowrance one's ,1 garmin and 2 furuno's all from hitting stick's and crap in the river.Dan........

Hamish73
28-01-2008, 08:44 PM
throw a post in the wanted section, I got a 2nd hand 75 ages ago with no transducer (came out of boat with a thru huull), and a bloke on here sold me one for $50.
If its a 65, its not worth replacing the transducer with a new one IMO, Either fit the bracket, or make a new one, or replace the sounder

snelly1971
28-01-2008, 09:03 PM
i HAVE A 600W ONE TO GIVE AWAY....TRANSOM MOUNT...CAME WITH A X15 MT LOWRANCE BUT I PURCHASED A 1KW ....

mICK

bdowdy
29-01-2008, 06:33 AM
would it fit mine, ill double check what mine is. thanks bdowdy..brett

finga
29-01-2008, 06:57 AM
I have an X51 one here also matey.
Yours for the postage if it fits.

bdowdy
29-01-2008, 07:13 AM
thanks finga ill get back to you shortly fellas

bdowdy
29-01-2008, 07:34 AM
heres some piccys guys ,,, on the cord there was a sticker with HS-WSBK WIDE ANGLE , and the connection is as shown ,this might help if some one can help me would be appreciated. cheers bdowdysum

BR65
29-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Did it break hitting the trailer skid?

bdowdy
29-01-2008, 08:28 AM
yep i think so

Hamish73
29-01-2008, 04:44 PM
yep i think so
thats sounds wierd, for your transom is infront of the back of the skid/rear rollers????? :-/

Dan5
29-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Brett you might wanna put some duralac behind that stainless tranny bracket mate or it will corrode a hole through your transom,better still insulate it with some plastic or something similar you can see already where the paint is bubbling.It's a galvanic reaction between dissimalar metal's.Dan....

Moonlighter
29-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I've got 2 transducers from a Lowrance X65/X70/X75. One is the standard 20 deg wide angle (for shallow water) and one is the narrow beam 8 deg model, that will get down to depths of about 95m, both working fine when removed from the boat when I upgraded to new colour unit. Maybe also have a speed/temp transducer too.

It comes with an X70 sounder unit with power cables and bracket, and storage case, also in good working order when last used.

You can have the lot - make an offer around $100 if you're interested, or PM me if any questions.

Grant

bdowdy
30-01-2008, 08:29 AM
pm sent grant

finga
30-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry matey looks like mine won't fit.
It has 7 pins.
Here's a cross reference table for you
http://www2.lowrance.com/Products/Accessories/units.asp

bdowdy
30-01-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks finga, you have been agreat help. cheers bdowdy...brett

Outsider1
12-06-2008, 08:24 PM
My Lowrance Transducer has broken apparently!?.

I have a LMS 334iGPS combo that I had fitted a couple of years. This is the 200mhz only model. The transducer is transom mounted. My boat is moored and a splash plate cover has been fitted over the transducer so it was only when I checked it that I realised it had apparently snapped somewhere on the stem. Explains why the sounder was reading poorly!!

Got my dealer to come out and check it and he confirmed it was broken. Apparently it happens!!??, but don't recall hitting anything??. I had a Humminbird transducer on there for 10 years with no problems!!??

So now waiting for the boat to be collected next week. On a positive note this will allow me to have Trim Tabs fitted (the Transducer would have had to be moved to do this).

My questions are;

1) there is some evidence in a few threads here that these transducers do break more often than I thought. Is a it Lowrance "problem" or was my time up??.

2) I have 2 sounders on the boat, both Lowrance. The other one is an older model that uses a 192Mhz transducer and it is a thru hull version. I am wondering whether to go thru hull on this replacement transducer? The dealer was reluctant (a lot of fit up work). Any thoughts?? and does anyone know what the model number for the thru hull version is??

3) what is the best installation method in terms of quality of reading and reliability?? The sounder has not been reading well at speed so again trying it get this addressed in this replacement/repair!

Cheers

Dave

Moonlighter
13-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Dave

I see you're another local from Redlands, so happy to share what info I have with you!

I've had Lowrance gear for a long time and have never had a transducer break - their "kick up" brackets seem to work pretty well to prevent that happening, just have to make sure they are not overtightened. Maybe you just got unlucky - there has been a lot of flotsam in the Bay lately so maybe you hit something without realising it - it can happen.

I good friend of mine has the LMS525 and has the standard skimmer (transom mount) transducer but has mounted it as a shoot thru the hull installation in his Cruisecraft - and it works perfectly right out beyond 100m and he fitted it himself - no big drama though probably a bit easier to get to given his boat runs a mercruiser.

He previously had it transom mounted and kept having trouble with getting a good reading, but its perfect since its shooting thru the hull. I've seen it working and can vouch for how well it performs that way.

I can find out from him how he did the install and let you know if you like.

Regards

Grant

Outsider1
15-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Grant,

It is actually a while since I was last out in the boat and it was prior to all the rain and the subsequent flotsam. I must have just been unlucky!

Thanks for the info. I am definitely thinking about both thru hull options (thru and shoot thru). But there is no good reason why a properly fitted transom transducer should not work.

If I decide to fit trim tabs that might force my hand on the type of tranducer.

They are coming to pick up the boat tomorrow, so I will have some discussions with them then when the boat is out of the water and we can walk through the various options.

Your offer is much appreciated. I will give you a yell if I can't get a satisfactory answer from Wynnum Marine.

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
16-06-2008, 07:04 PM
The boat came out of the water today. Turned out to be the mounting bracket that had broken, not the Transducer itself. A quick fix and now refitted.

Cheers

Dave