PDA

View Full Version : Bertram 25 rebirth

mowerman
28-01-2008, 08:09 PM
My mate bought this Berty 3 years ago because he had always wanted one.
It had been sitting along side a dock for at least 5 years, not used because one ceased motor, ended up as a rain water tank.

It got to the stage where you would turn up his place on a sunday for a beer or two and end up with a screwdriver in your hand adjusting the trim tilt sender units.
Today was bleeding the steering.
Looks like we are one week away from getting it wet.

OK.
Completely new transom, totally rewired, Hull repainted.
Both motors and legs rebuilt plus another rebuilt motor and leg in the shed plus another motor in bits in the shed.

That was the first 2 and a half years.

The last 6 months have been the fidly bits.
Took a month to figure out that one of the wires to the trim gauges was connected wrong. And Hes an electrician.
Anyway, next weekend it should be in the water at a slipway he hired for a day in Tingalapa creek(hire cost...one carton).

After that its home will be at Manly.

Sorry about the pics but my phone is taking photos upside down or sideways or what ever.
The odd one out is a 21 foot carribean flybridge something that is sitting in his yard. He is open to offers. It hasnt seen the water for about 30 years. The hull is good, needs a coat of paint.
Would need a new transom, inside is a chainsaw and skip job.
Turn it into a center console with a pod, maybe.

Will post more pics when the Berty is in the water.

Rod

FNQCairns
28-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Gee they are simply lovely boats! All the luck in the world to him on the maiden voyage, a few near sleepless nights ahead, at lest I know there would be if it were me.

cheers fnq

ozlongboarder
28-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Great job, get some quality pics when its in the water and post them up here. Send your mate over to www.25bertram.com there is a few Aussies on there.

mowerman
21-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Wasnt worth reporting the first voyage.
Trailer setup all wrong and one overheating motor made it a short session.

BUT Sunday 19/4

Everything went perfectly.
Trailer setup was great and with a little practise the driveons will be a breeze.
A new impellor,housing and a recon head and the motor temps remained where they should be.
He had the motor cover off and the singing between 3000 and 4500 RPM was the sweetest sound Ive heard other than a 351 cleveland.

2 hours of idling,trolling speed and 23 knots and not a hiccup. Although you could here the fuel being sucked thru like it was still 70c a liter.

In to Manly this weekend and hopefully some hours on it before the MBTBC fishing comp.

Rod

ozlongboarder
21-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Looks good! Is that a 60 series cruiser towing it?

mowerman
21-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes mate.

60 series with a 308 dual fuel in it.

Pulls the 4 ton or so with ease.

Rod.

griz066
21-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Very nice rig indeed but Y is the starboard name on back to front?????????

disorderly
21-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Very,very nice...
If you don't mind me asking what kind of money did your mate originally pick it up for?

Scott

mowerman
21-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Regarding the name.
Still havent figured out this camera on my phone. Some come out ok and others are back the front or upside down or inside out.
The first 2 photos were taken from the same spot with about 20 seconds between them. I cant figure it out.

Original cost was 20k
Another 13k spent to get to this point.
A lot of the parts came from the US.

Rod.

disorderly
21-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Regarding the name.
Still havent figured out this camera on my phone. Some come out ok and others are back the front or upside down or inside out.
The first 2 photos were taken from the same spot with about 20 seconds between them. I cant figure it out.

Original cost was 20k
Another 13k spent to get to this point.
A lot of the parts came from the US.

Rod.

A lot of boat for 30 odd grand..(no doubt a lot of sweat toohttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif).
You might have to do a Tafe course to figure that camera phone out thoughhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.....or better still get out on the boat and catch a few fish and beers .http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

cheers

Scott