PDA

View Full Version : Painting glass boats

1975fflh
28-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Gurus

I have yet another question.

The minister for social engagements and domestic sciences AKA She who must be obeyed.

Has decreed that my old Coxcraft rumrunner (1989) needs a paint job.

The glass is ok and not overly faded but I cant seem to get it to shine.

If I paint the boat will the paint wear off, How much (5.2 metres) will it cost.
Is it worth it.

Thanks

Gordon

MEGA'bite
28-01-2008, 07:20 PM
its a big job, use 2 pac needs to be well sanded and prep coated. fill all nicks and cracks with fibreglass bog or resin and baby power. no change from 2500.00 if you dont do it your self. good luck

BM
28-01-2008, 07:26 PM
If you can find someone to paint it for $2500 I'd jump at it!!! None of the repairers I know would do it for under 5K.

You can restore the original gelcoat finish by hitting it with wet and dry. Start with say 400, then 800, then 1200 then cut and polish and you should be back to a showroom gelcoat shine.

If you paint it with 2 pack it will be a very hard and durable finish and won't wear off if applied correctly. I have painted a number of boats in 2K and several years on they still look as good as the day they were painted.

Cheers

seatime
28-01-2008, 08:03 PM
5K! Owchiwawa!, for approx $450 you could buy a variable speed sander/polisher, sandpaper, cutting compound, polish, pads, etc, etc, do it yourself and have the polisher to keep for other jobs. It will take a few hours hard yakka, but finish up with job satisfaction.
3K would probably buy the compressor, good spray gun, paint, polisher & accessories and maybe a pressure cleaner, all to keep for ron.

good luck with which ever choice you make.