PDA

View Full Version : What year is she BM

Kleyny
28-01-2008, 06:01 PM
just took these photos of the cowl yesterday.
I can take more if its required i didnt have time to remove the cover.

thanks

neil

BM
28-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Thats the first series of bluebands and covers 1972-1975. Many of these are now dead as the corrosion has typically destroyed them.

The serial number is used to give an exact year and you will need to use the serial number for parts ordering.

Cheers

Kleyny
28-01-2008, 06:21 PM
thanks
corrosion hit the water jacket around the sparkplugs.
we just went down to the local machine shop and he made a new one from a bit of scrap 10mm alloy. turned out better than i thought it would.
apart form that inside looks amazingly well.

any idea where i would find the serial number

neil

BM
28-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Yep, on the front of the motor, wrapped around the area of the tilt tube (where the steering goes through) there will be a metal plate with Mercury Marine on it and a stamped serial number of 7 digits. Actually, being so old it may even have Kiekhafer on it instead of Mercury Marine (Karl Kiekhafer started Mercury then sold it to Brunsiwck Corp).

Also on the powerhead itself there will be a welch plug/disc with the serial number on it. About the size of a 20c piece (bit smaller) and silver in colour.

Have you had the sideplates off? This is where a fatal failure will occur. The water jacket plate off the cylinder top only causes an external, non fatal leak. When the inner sideplate goes the engine draws water into the cylinders and then its all over.

Cheers

Kleyny
28-01-2008, 06:39 PM
no i havent had the sideplates off yet. ( i think i'm to scared to)
the thing only goes in the passage so if she going to go it shouldnt be too much of a drama to get her back to the ramp. from there it will be a new donk. he was tossing up on getting one when he first got it but he went with my moto if its not broke dont fix it.

neil

BM
28-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Yep, I agree. No sense junking something till its dead or becomes regularly unreliable.