PDA

View Full Version : First Time Poster - Long Time Reader

Surething1974
28-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

I am new to boating, but have been reading this forum for a long time, and have learnt lots in the time that I have been reading.

Yet to still get a boat, I have spent a lot time on my mates boat which is a 26ft Bayliner, and since staying out the first night some months ago, have become hooked!

I thought that I would have trouble convincing the family, but not so, and I have been met with a wife and daughter keen to get on the water!

First need to get a license, then spend some time hiring some boats around Moreton Bay and the Broadwater, before venturing out and buying something - I want to be sure before I do it, and the advice that has come from this forum is valuable.

Given the quite a few times I have been boating with my mate, we have only left from a Marina (his boat is stored at Horizon Shores) therefore I have not experienced what happens at a boat ramp!

Like others have suggested on this forum, I had some time on my hands this morning, and thought that I would spend a few hours at Scarborough at the boat ramp next to the Coastguard.

It was interesting to say the least, I saw lots of things, how to do it and how not to do it - the considerate guys (and gals) that knew what they were doing and spent minimal time on the ramp stood out - then there were the others, like the guys that thought they would fix the rollers on the trailer as one had come off, the guy that told his wife (partner?) to drive the car forward and the boat "fell" into the water (this is not right I presume!) and the other guy that had the rear axles of his Hilux ute nearly fully submerged, as his (very big) cruiser would not come off the trailer!

It was good to see that there was some goodwill with one guy assisting 2 separate people guide their boat onto the trailer (they were alone and driving the boat on the trailer) whilst he waited for his partner to get the car.

It was also interesting to note, that no one had rope to tie up at the loading pontoon, nor used any sort of fender when pulling up at the same pontoon, with may quite happy to let the boat hit the side.

Anyway, I am no expert, this morning was fun, and I am sure to go and do it again to learn something new and I look forward to when it is me down there with a boat on the back of my car!

I look forward to learning more on this forum and making a contribution myself.

Cheers,

Surething...

Ally Jack
28-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Surething,
Welcome aboard.

Your on the right track with watching others do it first, seeing what not to do, and that some people at the ramps still help out others that need a little help.

Ally Jack

Hamish73
28-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome,
sometimes it all goes to plan, and other times it turns to shit.
I thought I had out system down pat, but sat night i made the mustake of going a fraction too deep for the retrieve, which cocked everything up. Boat floated over the first rollers as opposed to being forced between them.

Launching is easy. Get Mrs and kid in boat, back boat down the ramp, start engine and push the boat off the trailer (tilt function is great), and mrs reverses boat out and waits for my return after parking car. If other used this system I think the ramps and surrounding areas would be a lot less crowded.

Retrieving is a bit different as we dont have a drive on trailer, but using the tilt makes it much easier.

polky
28-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Weicome to the fourm, look and learn is the right way to go. Take your time and don,t rush out and buy any boat. With a budget in mind start looking now, and when it,s time to buy you will have agood idear what bang you get for your bucks. Polky.

seatime
28-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Welcome,
sometimes it all goes to plan, and other times it turns to shit.
I thought I had out system down pat, but sat night i made the mustake of going a fraction too deep for the retrieve, which cocked everything up. Boat floated over the first rollers as opposed to being forced between them.

Launching is easy. Get Mrs and kid in boat, back boat down the ramp, start engine and push the boat off the trailer (tilt function is great), and mrs reverses boat out and waits for my return after parking car. If other used this system I think the ramps and surrounding areas would be a lot less crowded.

Retrieving is a bit different as we dont have a drive on trailer, but using the tilt makes it much easier.

Hi Hamish73,

This system may work for you, no doubt you have developed your own procedures with launching and retrieving many times and gained lots of experience.
However, IMO I wouldn't advocate loading the family in the boat before launching and then using the trailer tilt function to slip the boat off the trailer.
From a safety aspect, I would rather the family stood off to the side of the ramp when launching, and I always considered the tilt function was for retrieving the boat, not launching. There are a few shallow incline ramps about. I wouldn't like to see an inexperienced boater trying this method without lots of practical experience, and understanding the potential for accidents. It might be your method but may not work for others new to boat launching.

cheers

Hamish73
28-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi Hamish73,

This system may work for you, no doubt you have developed your own procedures with launching and retrieving many times and gained lots of experience.
However, IMO I wouldn't advocate loading the family in the boat before launching and then using the trailer tilt function to slip the boat off the trailer.
From a safety aspect, I would rather the family stood off to the side of the ramp when launching, and I always considered the tilt function was for retrieving the boat, not launching. There are a few shallow incline ramps about. I wouldn't like to see an inexperienced boater trying this method without lots of practical experience, and understanding the potential for accidents. It might be your method but may not work for others new to boat launching.

cheers
yeah, good point. Forgot to mention that the mrs is fully licenced to drive the boat. One of the main reasons we do it this way is that the mrs has a bung knee and its easier for her to board via the trailer mudguard.

I have a preference for learning the hard way :-[ and have come to the conclusing that tiliting for the launch requires less water than not using the tilt, as the boat slides off gently, as opposed to going backwards and then dropping off the back of the trailer as the centre of gravity goes past the back rollers. I am also a relative newby to boating so dont pretend this is the best/correct way to do it.