PDA

View Full Version : sarca anchors

Ram-rod
28-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Can anyone tell me about the sarca anchors on reef. Do they work and are they worth the $$$$$$$$ that you pay for them.
Sick to death with the cheap prong ones. Or is there an alternative for reef
Russell

Dean1
28-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Russell, mate the Sarca anchors are a truly amazing anchor and worth every cent of what you pay for them. I purchased my 5.2kc with one in it and cannot believe how well they work. Ive had reef picks in my last 5 boats, and they are pathetic compared to the sarca's. They hook up 1st time every time, they are very easy too retrieve off the reef and theres no bending or tripping required. Theres always the mooloolaba star anchor but they require tripping(cableties) and dont hook up as well. If I lost my sarca id go straight out and buy another 1, wouldnt settle for anything else. Hope this helps, Deano.

steve99
29-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi Ram-rod,
My fishing buddy uses a sarca anchor on his 22ft boat. Its a fantastic anchor for use on a sandy bottom,and over the years I dont think its ever let go,even in windy and rough conditions.
Im not sure how they go on reef bottom. I know if it jammed hard in a crevice it would be very hard to dislodge.
Ive always thought the sarca anchor was for sandy bottom use only.
Maybe there is a different sarca anchor for reef use???

Cheers Steve99

seatime
29-01-2008, 06:30 AM
Sand And Reef Combination Anchor.

Top bit of gear! use with a retrieval buoy in deeper water or on reef for the slide to work best. Only use a SS shackle between the chain and shank. There is a SARCA guide for the correct size anchor/shackle for your boat size.

regards

p.s. do a search on here for other opinions.

STUIE63
29-01-2008, 08:16 AM
If you use a stainless shakle as you are supposed to do make sure you wire the pin so it can not unscrew I lost a sarcw to this . very expensive mistake
Stuie

seatime
29-01-2008, 08:29 AM
spot on Stuie, tighten the pin with a shifter and seize with stainless wire. stainless threads have a habit of undoing themselves.

Steve

Fatenhappy
29-01-2008, 12:32 PM
As everyone is saying SARCA's are great on Sand And Reef which is exactly what they are made for. Make sure you have a good retreivel bouy for reef.

Absolutely forget about them with mud.... bloody hopeless. We used to run chain only on our anchor set up but even that wasn't enough to hold it in mud. Used to just change to a plough then for that ... no probs.

Cheers
Greg

backlash08
29-01-2008, 01:58 PM
My sacra is still where it picked up on the barwon banks, second ever drop, maybe I got it wrong but I've retreived many anchors over the years and I hated this thing, I will never buy another one, prongs for me!

indy
29-01-2008, 04:32 PM
You can have mine its sitting at the bottom at wide caloundra some where.

They do hold really well but i had end less problems getting it off maybe it was my d-shackle set up, make sure you get the d-shackle they recommend if you decide to buy one.

Personally i would never get one for the reef again i have found that getting a good heavy chain as long as your boat and a reef pick with five prongs and a solid shaft grabs everytime for me and 9 times out of ten it comes off without to much drama, and a hell of alot cheaper if you do have to cut the rope.

cheers pete...

SnowE
29-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Russell,

I have not tried Sarca's, but I have been using a "Mooloolaba Pick" for over a year now and have had good results with it on reef. I was sick of straightening the old reef picks tynes and losing my spot after the reef pick had slipped.
The mooloolaba picks are no good in sand or mud, I just use the old sand anchor for that job.
I anchor up on parts of the Great Barrier Reef off Townsville (the worlds biggest snag!), and am yet to have trouble with it coming off.

Cheers,
SnowE

Ram-rod
29-01-2008, 05:51 PM
thanks heaps folks, all good advice and mixed experiences, will consider getting but the dollars will be the decided in the end i think..thanks all
Russell

TimiBoy
13-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I put a Sarca on my CC685 last week. Dropped it into calm water at Mud on Saturday, an hour later I noticed we were drifting. "Odd" I thought, given that I had undertaken some effort in ensuring everything was in it's proper place (I work in earthmoving, D shackles are a bit of a habit for me).

Up came the rope, the chain, my shackle, but not theirs! And of course no anchor.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the shackle failed, ie. did that rare stainless act and busted for no apparent reason. I rang Sarca, and said so. Their response?

They were stunned, amazed, and slightly embarrassed, but are replacing the anchor, free of charge. No argument. I am VERY VERY impressed, and wanted to pass that on. Such levels of service don't happen every day.

Many thanks to Wayne for making it happen!!!;D;D;D;D

dreemon
13-05-2008, 04:33 PM
I've got a sarca and I think they are a great all rounder, but last time on the reef it did get stuck well, ended up bending it but didnt loose it, so now I use the reef pick on the reef.

Ram-rod
13-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Haven't got one yet but probably will do when the dollars are available. they sound good..

Fido
13-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Would someone be kind enough to describe just what constitutes a Mooloolabah pick. I know what a reef anchor is?

revs57
14-05-2008, 07:49 AM
I've been using a sarca for 350 hrs of boating, mostly reef, its a great piece of kit

Have had it well stuck twice, after letting out a heap of rope AND CIRCLING AT THE OUTER CIRCUMFERENCE A FEW TIMES CLOCKWISE THEN A COUPLE OF CIRCLES COUNTER CLOCKWISE, oops didn't mean to shout, with the pressure on - the rope acts like a snatchum, the anchor popped the snag and came up, on one occasion it was pretty mangled, but I still got it back. With a bit of adjusting back into shape she's still in service.

I'd get another if i ever lost it in a heart beat

cheers

Rhys

jez and suze
14-05-2008, 01:50 PM
i found one while scuba diving at curtain.............stuck tight