PDA

View Full Version : Forward reverse change problem

Taroona
28-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I have a new 150hp outboard which is quite difficult to shift from neutral to forward but quite the opposite to go into reverse. The dealer tells me it will become easier as the hrs go on the motor.

How difficult should it be for a new motor only about 4 hrs so far

Any constructive advice would help before I go back to the dealer

Spaniard_King
28-01-2008, 10:50 AM
What sort of boat??

Makes a big difference on how the control cables are installed..ie minimum amount of bends and if must bend make sure they are big bends.

Outsider1
28-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I have a new 150hp outboard which is quite difficult to shift from neutral to forward but quite the opposite to go into reverse. The dealer tells me it will become easier as the hrs go on the motor.

How difficult should it be for a new motor only about 4 hrs so far

Any constructive advice would help before I go back to the dealer

Hi Les,

friction on my new motor controls is the same forward and reverse. I would say it is a fraction stiffer than the old motor cable controls, but I have not yet made any adjustment to the friction adjustment screw (at the front the controls).

Being different forward to reverse does not sound right to me.

cheers

Dave

BM
28-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Yep, sounds like they have not done a very good job when rigging the engine.

Remove both control cables at the engine end and check that the throttle and gearshift linkages are moving smoothly. The throttle should be fine since you have no issue going into reverse.

Then operate the control box (with the cables disconnected at the engine) and if the engine linkages are fine then your problem will be in the cabling. If so look along the length of the cabling and see whether any bends are too tight. It could possibly be that the control box itself is binding internally. Not common though, particularly on a new control box.

Cheers

FNQCairns
28-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Forum gremlins, DBL post.

FNQCairns
28-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Yep your are being conned. You need it fixed or the solid in writing offer from them of a replacement control box when your craps gets sloppy before it's time and/or a replacement clutch dog in the gearbox in time when the edges round due to it not being possible to do sharp shifts into forward.

cheers fnq

Taroona
30-01-2008, 12:46 PM
The suppier of the outboard has replaced the control box and all good now

Outsider1
30-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Good to hear, fairly speedy response as well!

Cheers

Dave

Taroona
30-01-2008, 04:41 PM
From what I understand the guy who did the job in the first place isn't there anymore

Longshot
30-01-2008, 05:44 PM
From what I understand the guy who did the job in the first place isn't there anymore

Go figure!!!!!!!!