PDA

View Full Version : calling townsville boaties

benny2208
27-01-2008, 10:37 PM
hey guys i have just brought a new boat (to me any way ) its a 4.75 stacer seamaster half cab with a 60 mercury.

im use to just been in the creek and rivers where its smoth, but i worked up the courage to go over to maggie today (sunday) it was good going over there but it was rugh coming bak .
so my question is when its rought how do you drive it and what speed and angle to the waves so it not a scarry , frighting ride
ive never been out the front before so im not really sure on how to hadle the boat in that type of situation ( i grew up in land ) so im asking for some help or if some one may have a few hrs spare to show me hwo to handle it would be good

cheers benny

Robbo_Townsville
28-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Benny, there is no hard and fast rule. You will only go as fast as your back and knees (passengers) will allow in the rougher conditions. If the chop is hitting you say from the port side (left side) it may help to turn straight into it to stop the spray and make for a more comfortable ride, of course at some stage you will have to turn to the starboard side to bring you back on course.

If this is your first boat don't feel like your in over your head, just take your time and only do what you feel comfortable with and before you know it you will be more confident and competent boatie.

Outsider1
28-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Benny,

I am not a Townsville local but have been out on Cleveland Bay in the past in rough conditions (in a 7 metre Haines) so know the sort of seas you experienced. I find that a running at a slight angle (say 10 degrees) to the prevailing seas gives the most comfortable and controllable running trim. Running side on is not recommended and guaranteed to give you heart palpitations!

You need to back off to running just above planing speed (probably 14 to 17 knots or thereabouts). And keep your motor trimmed in fairly well, you want the nose down and the hull riding the waves, not the nose cocked in the air and riding only on the back of the boat (a guaranteed recipe for hull banging)!.

Can I also suggest that you consider going out on a fishing charter with one of the excellent local guides. They will be more than happy I am sure to show you how to handle a boat in the various conditions and just as importantly show you some top fishing locations as well. I have used Ryan Moody and would highly recommend him as a great skipper and charter (not sure if he is still in the game in Townsville these days?)

Cheers

Dave

PS I checked and Ryan does still seem to be around. He trades as U Beaut Barra Charters.

http://mywebsite.bigpond.com/ryanmoody1/

Scott nthQld
28-01-2008, 05:19 PM
OK Benny, I'l start from scratch....Sunday was not rough at all, I was out at bayrock and Westpoint all day and it was glass like, until about 2pm when the wind picked up to a mighty 7knt (approx). Heading straight down the shipping channel would've been a breeze, just skipping over the minor chop. I came in from the north and even then, there was only minimal spray coming over the boat when a slightly bigger wave snuck up on us while I was doing 30knts on the way home. I have a similar sized boat to you, 16ft (about 4.85m i think) with a 60hp on the back.

From experience, my boat does not ride well, but just use your noggin and slow it down to where you feel comfortable, and confident in your abilities. I have only recently started to venture out myself, and thats all it comes down to, if you think its too rough, slow it down, or come back in, no use trying to be a hero in rough weather, too many things can go wrong at once. It will be easier to control the boat and slightly better ride it you head straight into the waves, but as Robbo said, you are going to have to urn some where along the line. You'll Also find that the entrance to the port is the rougher than anywhere else around maggie, so make sure you slow down there again if its a rough day on the water.

I have been around boats all my life, and ventured much wider off Wollongong in rougher seas than here in the same boat, but dad was skippering and basically taught me under his watchful eye how to handle the waves, now I've only been outside the creeks solo a few times now, and if I had more experience, I could take you out and give you some tips, but I'm certain there are plenty of other Townsville Ausfishers here, with much more experience that would be willing to do so (that and I've decided to finally finish re-flooring the boat, along with a few other things that needs attention). But if you were keen on taking your boat out for a fish on a weekend, and wanted someone to give you a few tips, I would be happy to lend a hand, and share what I know with you.

benny2208
30-01-2008, 12:02 AM
hey guys thanks for the replys

i will take all the advice on board next time i go out .

i guess its a bit different when you go from been in the creaks to out the front it can be a frustrating to know if your doing the rite thing or not .

to scott nthqld
i will b more then happy to meet up with you and go out in my boat (after all it is my boat i need to know how to handle in rough conditions )
any help that i can get will be more then helpfull exspectiallywhen i have the kids and wife in there
cheers benny